Help! I think Eugene has dropsy :(

Hi guys. Ugh nothing but problems with my fishies lately :'(

I think Eugene has dropsy. He was looking a little floaty the other day, and I've just been giving my guys some peas (Wendal has been having swim bladder issues as well). I went out for a couple of days, had someone continue with the pea feeding. I just came home, and now Eugene has pine coned :( He is very very bloated and round, and his colouration isn't as vibrant as before. I've never ever had a problem with Eugene before. I just lost my Ryukin Cow the other month to dropsy. I don't know what is happening in my tank :( what can I do???

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level: 0
  • * Nitrite Level: 0
  • * Nitrate level: between 10 and 20
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 7.5-ish
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? : Nutrafin drops
  • * Water temperature? : room temp (no heater) about 22 celcius
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? : 38 gallons, been running for years
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? : Aquaclear 50 and Tetra Whisper EX45
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?: Weekly about 30%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? : about 5 days ago, 30%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? : 2, both about 5 inches with tail
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? : Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? : Usually Omega One sinking pellets almost every day, but they've just been on peas the past couple days
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? : No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? : No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. : Haven't treated for anything in over a year
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? : Pineconing, bloating
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Hard time swimming, looks less alert..

Please help :( I don't wanna lose another one......

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have a QT tank I can set up, but I'm concerned about my main tank. As I said, I had another fish in there that suffered from Dropsy and didn't make it, a little while back, so I'm afraid that there's something wrong with my main tank. Would it be better to treat the whole tank?

And I'm not sure about the metro meds. I can call my LFS, but I used to work there, and I never saw anything like that there... Will try my best though. Thanks.

Well you will still need to separate out the one with actual dropsy, just because they need to be in epsom salt, which you should not expose the fish that do not have fluid retention to. I'm not really sure about treating the whole tank. In my opinion I would not since I take it none of the others have any symptoms yet.

I think the best first course of action is to seperate him into a QT tank, with a heater set to about 75 degrees and epsom.

I see your from Canada, same as me! If you can't find metro meds of metro in any stores (which I couldn't either) you can order them online. I ordered some metro powder from mops.ca and made gel food with it. You can ask for rush shipping by emailing or calling the company

EDIT: sorry, forgot to put the dose of epsom salt, which would be 1/4 tsp per 10 gallons

Edited by haley22

Alright, I'll seperate Eugene into a QT tank. Should I just take one of the filters from my main tank to use on the QT? I suppose that would make it less of a shock for Eugene?

Also, I don't have a heater that is the right size for my QT tank :( will it still start to work with just room temperature water until I can get a new heater? Thanks guys.

It would probably work best if you could take a filter off the mian tank, as long as your other filter that stays on the main tank can keep up with the bio load fro the remaning fish. What is the gallons per hour of each filter?

What size of heater do you have and what is the size of the QT tank?

The Aquaclear filter I have runs 270 GPH and the Tetra Whisper runs 240 GPH. The main tank is 38 gallons with only Eugene and one other fish.

My QT tank is 10 gallons, and the only heater I have have is 300 watts. I've tried it out before and even on the lowest setting, it is far too powerful for that small of a tank...

Well I think your main tank would be fine then with just one filter (preferably the larger one) since you only have one fish in there. Just make sure to check the params to make sure they is no cycle bump.

I really don't know what to tell you about the heater, because obviously you can't fix that besides getting a right sized one. Would that be at all possible? The heat is crucial to help fight infection.

Metro is an antibiotic and anti-parasitic med. Humans can also take it. If possible, you can get a perscription for it from a vet, but that might be really expensive. The vets where I live will not give perscriptions for fish. Ugh haha. It comes in either powder form or pill form. The one off the website id powder http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/metronidazole-p-1503.html?osCsid=kku7fla7foqplev84eu6ce1g02 . It is not very expensive at all, and shipping is arounf 6 dollars I think. Rush would obviously cost more. You would then add it to your gel food for the fish. It would be easier, and more effective to order metromeds if you could from goldfishconnection.net since it is pre-made food with other antibiotics and ingredients in it, and is apparently very effective for dropsy. You should definatly check that out as well and see what option would be best, because I am afraid that without any antibiotics, he will probably not do so well. I hope someone who knows a lot about antibiotics will pop in to see if there is any others you can get because I only have experience with metro (which worked for me:))

Hey there. Sorry to see Eugene has dropsy :(

I agree with Haley, you are going to need to treat with an antibiotic internally. Metro meds are typically the first choice in this situation, but I don't believe you folks in canada have access to them anymore unfortunately since fish sempai stopped selling them recently and goldfishconnection does not ship to canada :(

So, metronidazole in gel food will be your next best option. Please check your LFS or order some online as soon as you are able to.

You can begin now by putting Eugene in QT with epsom. This will help with the fluid retention, but you cannot use it any longer than 8 days.

What is your room temp? If it is in the 70's that will be fine to start, but if there is any way you can get an appropriately sized heater that would be ideal :)

EDIT: I would also suggest doing daily water changes to ensure that your water parameters remain pristine for Eugene :)

Edited by tithra

Thanks for the help Haley!

tithra, room temperature is in the 70's. I'll hopefully be going to my LFS either tomorrow or the next day. I read somewhere that Maracyn Two can treat for dropsy as well, and I know my LFS carries this. If I can't mind metronidazole, will this do?

Also, just set up my QT, got the filter on it, added some prime and the epsom salt. Should I just go ahead and put Eugene in now, or should I wait a little while before I do that?

Thanks guys!! I hope I can help him!

• Supporter

hi courtney, i am sorry to hear of your fish troubles again.. all the advice given here is nothing short from excellent :) but i wanted to address one mention of yours i read. where you say, if this is happening again, shouldn't i treat the entire tank?

my answer to that is no. no, because as i seen countless times in the past, the dropsy fish is normally an isolated bacteria problem to the individual. if there was a bacteria in the water, then all your fish would be showing symptoms at the same time. if it's just the one fish, then you can be pretty sure it's an isoalted issue.

best of luck with treatment, i hope this is resolved as quickly as possible for you :heart

Okay, thanks so much guys.

I'll try my best to find what I need, if I can't, I'll be ordering online but I don't know how long that will take to get here.... I'll keep you all posted on Eugene's recovery!

You should put Eugene in QT and begin epsom as soon as you are able (as always match temp and Ph of QT to the tank)

I would strongly suggest that if you cannot find the metro at your LFS that you order it online. I would not even bother with the Maracyn 2. He really needs an internal antibiotic and metro will be your best bet at this point.

There are members offering free metro meds all you need to pay is shipping. But they are in the States, so I am not sure what the controls are like in terms of sending something like this across the border.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/97376-free-metro-meds/

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/98426-metro-meds-jumpstart-available/

Keep us updated :) the sooner you can get the metro into his system the better! Time is unfortunately not on your side :(

And if you are able to get a heater for the QT tank that would really help with the treatment :)

Alright, so I was actually able to get some metronidazole! My dog's vet had some and they know me well enough there to give me some :P so I now have a big syringe of liquid metronidazole. Also bought a new heater, just put that in now.

I'm going to be making gel food with the metronidazole in it. My vet said to use 25ml in 50g of food. I've never made gel food before, and I have no idea how much to feed Eugene at a time. What is the right dose of this food? I'm just running out again now to buy some Agar to make the food instead of using gelatin.