Eggfish Goldfish

I am still in the process of deciding what type of goldfish i would like and i came across the 'Eggfish Goldfish'. very much like a ranchu minus the wen. i have found plenty of information on the internet about their type and their origin, but not so much on where i could buy one. does anyone know of any breeders or goldfish websites that sell this type of fish? or is it still rather uncommon? i think they are fascinating and would be just tickled pink if i were able to own one, so any information is appreciated! thank you.

The Dandy Oranda auction on goldfishconnection.com has put one on auction a few times this year. Try also raingarden.com. He has shukin, which also belongs in the eggfish family, I believe.

• Supporter

I agree, eggfish are really sweet. Like Alex said, watch for them on goldfish connection. It seems to me that the one on there was pretty reasonable. Hope you find one:)

The Dandy Oranda auction on goldfishconnection.com has put one on auction a few times this year. Try also raingarden.com. He has shukin, which also belongs in the eggfish family, I believe.

Hi dnalex, i took a look at the shukin and they seem to grow quite a bit of wen. i was really hoping to get a wenless, do you think they would be okay with me e-mailing them to ask if they will have any eggfish in the near future or is what's listed on the website what they have available?

Eggfish are cool. I got my ranchu Eggbert because she reminded me of an eggfish. She is big enough that I assume she won't get much wen. :)

Hi ShawneeRiver, i had always liked the ranchu look, but i just can't get over the weirdness of the wen or lionhead. lol. how old/big was Eggbert (adorable name, by the way) when you got her? how do you know if they probably won't develop much wen? would you post a picture, please? i'd love to see the face belonging to that name! :P

I agree, eggfish are really sweet. Like Alex said, watch for them on goldfish connection. It seems to me that the one on there was pretty reasonable. Hope you find one:)

Thank you Mr. B! i have Goldfish Connection bookmarked so i can watch for another auction. i am hoping to get two together. fingers crossed!! :D

Your comment inspired me to post pictures that I took recently. http://www.kokosgold...__fromsearch__1

Eggbert is about 3 inches long not including tail, but she's a fatty. I got her from Buygoldfish on ebay. I liked her eggy shape and had her on my ebay watch list for awhile. I named her before I even got her. ;)

My other bigger ranchu also has a small wen, but it's bigger than Eggbert's. Small wenned fish are out there. :)

Edited by ShawneeRiver

I need to get some pictures of my calico lionchu/lionhead/whatever. 2.5" (without tail) and no sign of a wen yet. I think he's my most active/spaz of a fish, and every photo comes out looking like a calico blur

Yes, definitely ask him! :)

I just sent him an e-mail and now just waiting for a reply! now i'm really getting excited. :nana

Your comment inspired me to post pictures that I took recently. http://www.kokosgold...__fromsearch__1

Eggbert is about 3 inches long not including tail, but she's a fatty. I got her from Buygoldfish on ebay. I liked her eggy shape and had her on my ebay watch list for awhile. I named her before I even got her. ;)

My other bigger ranchu also has a small wen, but it's bigger than Eggbert's. Small wenned fish are out there. :)

I took a look at your link and just about squealed with delight! Eggbert is essentially exactly what i was looking for; a calico and no (or little) wen! how big do they have to be before you can tell what their wen will look like?

I need to get some pictures of my calico lionchu/lionhead/whatever. 2.5" (without tail) and no sign of a wen yet. I think he's my most active/spaz of a fish, and every photo comes out looking like a calico blur

I would love to see him. how big was he when you got him? i know it would be much easier to get a ranchu, but the risk of it growing a wen is still iffy to me... but! i still have time as my tank is still cycling, so that's a plus at least.

I took a look at your link and just about squealed with delight! Eggbert is essentially exactly what i was looking for; a calico and no (or little) wen! how big do they have to be before you can tell what their wen will look like?

I don't know. Eggbert could grow one, I suppose. :idont

Here is Derp.

eggy2.jpg

As you can see, very little wen so far. Entirely possible it will grow, but Herp my orange ranchu/lionchu/whatever (purchased together, same size etc) has a much larger wen already.

eggy.jpg

Edited by Niffarious

Aaaawe, he is so cute!!! and, you're right, very little wen growth. i think you guys have convinced me to just go for it. whether they develop a wen later or not, i'll love them by then anyway! :clapping:

GG, maybe you could look for a ranchu that's a little bit bigger and still has little wen growth. The ebay seller who sold me Eggbert has a few others with small wens, and a few on Raingarden have small wens. And post pictures when you find one. ;)

I have been looking over Rain Gardens fish quite a bit, but have not checked out the ebay seller yet, i will do that now. :) I still have (i'm guessing) a week or so left of my cycle, so i will be keeping a close eye on any new arrivals should any come in! I will be sure to post pictures a.s.a.p!

I hope you find what you want. I was so upset at first that my calico was not developing wen. But...I have a few heavily wenned guys now and I love the calico's look at this point...so I'm happy! Haha.

I saw that, too!!!! D: I wish my tank was ready or even that i was willing to pay $100 on a fish. lol. That little "green" guy?! Ugh! LOVE! I hope whoever gets that little sakura one names her Dahlia... i think of the book 'The Black Dahlia Murders' when i see the coloring on her face!