Sign in to follow this  
cathface

looking lethargic, hiding, not eating

I'm sorry :(

The HP should only be used once, and should not be used again for quite some time, even though it is supposed to be very safe and is designed really only to shock to flukes from the host.

Just let him be to recover for a little bit. I'm hoping that he will pick up some energy after a little bit.

The problem with this is that unless we do a thorough panel check up, including scrapes and complete examination, it's really difficult to make a definitive conclusion :(

okay, thank you for all the help. I'm just gonna keep an eye on him for the rest of the evening.

aww Cath I am so sorry SH isn't feeling any better yet :( I hope he recovers for you soon :) hang in there :) sending many healing thoughts your way :)

argh it just gets worse. I have a rising suspicion that he may have popeye...

SAM_9118.jpg

SAM_9115.jpg

SAM_9127.jpg

SAM_9132.jpg

I apologise for the exposure explosion and lack of focus on the close-ups, camera didn't want to cooperate and I didn't want to stress Hawking out for too long. am I correct in thinking he may have popeye? I don't remember his eyes protruding that far out before, but I have no previous photos of him from above. I only noticed properly when I returned him to the main tank, and noticed how the overhead light caught the top of his eyes. I've now removed him again, back to the holding tank. if it is popeye, does this suggest definite internal issues?

Popeye would definitely suggest suggest internal issues, most likely bacterial.

If it's popeye, it's not fairly prominent at the moment. Is the tank salted?

aww sorry cath :( are his scales raising at all? pop eye is usually a symptom of other issues mostly poor water conditions,which i know you do not have :) so something is def up here,I wont guess to advise as your currently doing all you can with Alex's advise so hoping something gives you all a break soon and SH starts on the mend asap :) keeping you both in my thoughts :)

the holding tank isn't salted, no. I only thought popeye because of the white bits behind his eyes (I'm not entirely sure what fluid sacks are supposed to look like, but I am quite panicky these few days!). shall I salt the tank to help relieve the possible popeye? what % should I salt it to?

edit: Shelly - no, that's what made me think it might not be popeye, since he's showing no signs of dropsy. but then again is it possible to get popeye without having dropsy first, isn't it? I'm not sure. :( thank you for the kind wishes though. :)

Edited by cathface

You can salt the tank to 0.1% for now. We can decide tomorrow whether to raise it.

You can definitely have popeye without full blown dropsy.

hun, from the pics you show, i don't see popeye.. often, with coloured fish as most are, when they turn their eyes left and right as they can, the bit the comes out to enable this movement is not coloured. it may be something you're noticing now and missed before. but, if you suspect popeye, then do keep a close watch for it.

okay that's good news! I think I may have just noticed it because I'm on edge haha. this is why I'm glad I found this forum, otherwise god knows what I'd be doing. banging on LFS doors demanding Maracyn or something! :/

I think the 0.1% salt may be helping - he's not bottom sitting at the moment, just hovering, but then again he could be buoyed by the salt content, right? like when I tried to do a 3% dip and he was just at the top? he also seems slightly more active, but I'm not sure if that's from the new water (I did an 100% water change for the salting, since the holding tank doesn't have a filter) or something. if it's only the salt helping though, it makes me worry about how he will do when I leave on Friday, since I won't want to be salting the main tank for 2 weeks straight, especially if I'm not here to monitor it.

Let's just give him time until then in the salt, and go from there!

The salt should definitely help him to feel better!