Sign in to follow this  
cathface

looking lethargic, hiding, not eating

Yes, please. Bring it up to 0.3% incrementally. It's good for everyone to get treated in this case, since we normally recommend doing this for a couple of weeks during QT, at least :)

okay, he's in the holding tank now. managed the full 5 minutes today! but he is now just bottom sitting unless I walk in front of him. :( I am waiting for the water I dissolved the salt in to cool down before adding into the main tank.

I think the sooner the Fluke-Solve arrives the better :)

In the mean time, keep with the plan to salt to 0.3%, please.

okay, will do! thanks, Alex. :) oh, do I need both Wormer Plus and Fluke-Solve?

Either is fine. Fluke-Solve is praziquantel, which we commonly use here on the forum, while Wormer Plus is flubendazole. Both will essentially do the same thing, although Wormer Plus is less aggressive.

I would go with Fluke-Solve, actually.

okay, got Fluke-Solve ordered now. Hawking is now not really trying to swim at all, I'm really quite worried. my boyfriend took him for dead only minutes ago, until I waved at him and he floundered a bit. I've been watching him and his gills rarely move - does this mean he is not breathing? :/

Could you try to look into the gills? Do you have any hydrogen peroxide 3% solution?

gills are a pinky-purple. just searched the entire flat to see if the landlord left any hydrogen peroxide 3%, to no avail. nowhere that is likely to have it would be open anymore... is there anything else I can do for him at the moment?

No. Let him be. If you could get some HP tomorrow, perhaps we can see if we can give him an HP dip to stave off some flukes.

okay, I will search the entire city if I have to. thanks for everything so far, you've been an absolute star.

Just checking in to see how little SH was feeling Sorry to see he has resumed his hiding behavior :( I hope the fluke solve stuff gets him back to his usual self asap :) keeping you both in my thoughts :)

thank you Shelly, it means a lot. :)

he's back in the main tank at the moment, not hiding anymore but still bottom-sitting. I woke up this morning to find him slightly active in the holding tank. the others keep swimming over and trying to encourage him to get up. it looks so sad. :( one thing I did note though was that he still had an appetite, as when I had him in the holding tank last night/this morning, I gave him a few pellets to see if he would eat, and he snatched them right up. I've just increased the tank to 0.2%. by this evening, the tank will be at 0.3% - will I still need to give Hawking his 0.3% salt dip tomorrow if this is the case?

No, I think we are good with the salt dips. Try to see if you can get some HP today, just in case it's decided that one is in order. Other than that, feed him and let him be :)

I've got hold of some HP! what should I do now?

OK. This is another dip, and pretty mild. I usually only reserve this for emergencies when Prazi is not available, or waiting for it :)

You want to put 1 part HP with 9 parts tank water into a suitable container, enough to comfortably submerge SH in. He is to be in there for exactly 10 seconds. Then take him out and put him back home. You will see that after he will act a little wonky, kinda like he's drunk. That should not last long. That's it.

Let me know how goes, and how he does after :)

just done it and he's back in the tank. he seems very confused, it's quite funny to watch despite the circumstances. he looks like he has no idea what is happening, is sometimes upside down, sometimes on his side, just floating along really.

just done it and he's back in the tank. he seems very confused, it's quite funny to watch despite the circumstances. he looks like he has no idea what is happening, is sometimes upside down, sometimes on his side, just floating along really.

Drunk! :rofl

That should not last for too long, though. Hopefully, that will help him to perk up and feel better until the Fluke Solve arrives. :)

haha so have we more or less just given him a mega oxygen boost? is he high on oxygen? :rofl he does seem to have perked up a bit though, apart from the propelling himself forward and then bumping into stones/the tank wall...

At that dose of HP, yes you have, and you should have also killed off quite a bit of flukes from him. :)

just about to prepare to increase up to 0.3% in the main tank: how long should I keep it at this level for? the tank is due another wc soon, but I don't want to have wasted all that salt so soon... also, I am away for 2 weeks from next Friday (6th April), and only have someone who can feed but not do water changes. will this be a problem? ah this is such bad timing. :(

We'll work something out with your schedule. For now, keep the salt at 0.3%. I'm hoping that the Fluke-Solve will arrive on Monday or Tuesday, you can do one round of that, give them freshwater with WC on Thursday, and then leave them in nothing else until you get back :)

so, if the Fluke-Solve arrives Monday, should I change out the salted water then before adding Fluke-Solve? or should the FS be used along with the salt?

If/when Fluke-Solve arrives, do as big a WC as can are able to while maintaining same temp, pH, add back salt to 0.3%, and add Fluke-Solve according to Kusuri's instructions :)

Then, the day before you leave, do a huge WC, add back freshwater, and done! :)

I would like for you to re-treat with Fluke-Solve when you are back, but this way, your fish sitter won't have to worry about anything else.

okay brilliant, sounds like a good plan. my train's at 2:30pm so I might get up early in the morning to do a big WC then, to give them water as fresh as possible. anyway, thanks for walking me through this, Alex. can't thank you enough. :)

You sound like me. I am always getting up to cram in a water change before a big trip!