Canister filter questions

A sponge, biomax, a tiny bit of filter padding/floss stuff, and whatever else it came with. :)

Looking at the canisters, none do enough gph for a 30g...?

You can in theory get away with slightly less gph with a canister filter because there is so much more room for media, which means more room for BBs to grow etc. If I remember correctly, 7-8x gph was recommended to me when I asked this question previously (I was considering going with just canisters). 7x would be 210 gph, 8x would be 240 gph, so either of the ones recommended to you be Alistair would be just fine (I didn't check out the other recommendations)

Gotcha :) looks like I'm going to be getting the AC110 then, not sure if mom will buy me a $160 filter ;) too bad I can't run that on my tank and cycle it! I really wanted to put the fishies in right away.

Gotcha :) looks like I'm going to be getting the AC110 then, not sure if mom will buy me a $160 filter ;) too bad I can't run that on my tank and cycle it! I really wanted to put the fishies in right away.

Are you getting the 110 over the 70 in case you upgrade?

If you seed the filter well it really shouldn't take too long to be fully cycled, I would guess 1-2 weeks at the very most. The AC 70 on my QT tank right now was seeded with just a small bag of ceramic media and I am able to go 4 days w/out any ammonia (I haven't tried to go longer because of my water change schedule). You are just going to need to keep an eye on the water parameters like you did when you were cycling and do water changes as necessary :) You're a pro at this by now! :P

Im thinking AC110 because these fish are going to be from RG, and RG fish get pretty big, and I'm assuming a larger filter will do a better job looking after 2 large fish, right? Or would it make no difference? I'm not sure. That was my reasoning though, I thought it sounded about right. :) what do you think?

;) okay, sounds good! :) so here's my seeding plan! :)

-transfer ceramic media

-filter bucket of water with filter goop

-use piece of filter floss from ac70

Since your AC110 will come with a whole new bag of biomax, I think what I would do is take maybe 1/2 of the old biomax and put it in the little mesh bag for the new biomax. Then I would replace what I took out of the old filter with new stuff, and top up the new bag with the rest of the new biomax. Hopefully that makes sense.

I don't know that you'll need the bucket o' gunk. Moving the filter floss would be good though.

You will have to keep an eye on your old tank just in case, but I've never had anything horrible happen as long as I didn't steal most of the media.

Gotcha :) I'll do that. Thanks! But because I'm weird, I think I'll also use the bucket o' gunk just in case there is a teeny tiny little bit of BB in there :) I'm getting 2 AC70s...should I try to just cycle 1, or should I seed both? Not sure how I'm going to go about this. I'm going to stick some extra filter padding in my filter until I get the new tank, and hope for the best! When I get the filters, I'll put the bionic in my current filter until I get the tank. :) sound good? :)

(sorry for the super late response!)

I don't know how much it actually matters, but I would probably try to put a little bit of established media in each filter, so that they both have an existing colony of BBs to grow. For that I would just do as above, but split everything for 2 filters. If you can fit any of the media from the new filters into your existing filter, that is also a good idea until you get your tank set up. :)

It might help a little? I think you're talking about the biomax and it's getting autocorrected or something, right? It'd be best in the filter, but in the tank would be more helpful than not in the tank, I suppose.

Oops, yeah, stupid autocorrect ;)

Biomax. :)

I have 3 baggies of biomax in my filter, so I have enough for 1 for each filter :) perfect! I'll definitely order some more, tht stuff is awesome! :) I will order 4 more bags, so each filter gets two, and my little baby filter gets one too! :) I definitely won't have room for all that in my filter though, so I'll stuff as much as I can into the baby filter, and the rest will have to go on the tank floor :( there will also be a powerhead in the tank, so I'll seed that with the goo-bucket :)