Canister filter questions

Hello! :)

Please prepare yourselves, I have a lot of questions ;) so lets get started! :)

-How can I seed a new filter with my filter media? Should I squeeze the goo into a bucket of water and seed it with that, or should I transfer some media to the new filter? Or is there a different better way? I don't want to lose my cycle!

-What size Ehiem canister do I need for a 30g? :) what about a 40g?

-How often should I clean it?

-Do they make a lot of current? :) if so, will it make it hard for my fish to sleep?

-Do they work just as well as HOB filters?

-Do they make a lot of surface agitation?

Sorry! I just want to make sure I'm fully informed before I decide on a filter :) any input helps. Please feel free to tell me anything else I should know, and recommend any brand you like. The one I've heard good things about is the Ehiem.

Any links to the filter I should get (preferably on amazon!) would be super duper awesome! :) thanks a ton!

-Mandie :)

Edit:

You may have seen my status update:

pandamanda111

How can I seed a new filter with my filter media? Should I squeeze the goo into a bucket of water and seed it with that, or should I transfer some media to the new filter? What size Ehiem canister do I need for a 30g? :)

Today, 02:58 PM ? Delete ? Lock

tithra

you can do either method of seeding. I always just take some of the ceramic media to seed since they should (in theory) contain the most BBs. I'd maybe start a thread for the canister question so you can get the most input :)

Today, 03:40 PM ? Delete

pandamanda111

You think? Ok! Thanks :) will my current filter have a cycle bump from that? Maybe I'll put some more ceramic media in my ac so that I can have more when I take out the old. should I run the canister in my tank for a little while to keep it cycled?

Today, 05:53 PM ? Delete

tithra

If there is going to be a period where you have no fish you could certainly run the canister on your current tank for awhile (just make sure the current isn't too strong with the two filters going). You might have a cycle bump since your cycle is relatively new, but you may not. I have not yet experienced a cycle bump from stealing media to seed my QT filters. Just test your water :)

Today, 06:43 PM ? Delete

pandamanda111

Oh, okay! Cool! :) I started a thread :) thanks a ton!

Today, 06:53 PM ? Delete

A few more questions (sorry!!)

If I seed my filter, will it be completely cycled, or will it just cycle more quickly?

If I run both filters on my tank, do you think that there will be too much current? It's a 25g

Thanks again!

Edited by pandamanda111

-How can I seed a new filter with my filter media? Should I squeeze the goo into a bucket of water and seed it with that, or should I transfer some media to the new filter? Or is there a different better way? I don't want to lose my cycle!

I find that the "goo" in the bucket of water is mostly poo and other waste, not needed for seeding a filter. Is this a new tank? Or replacing an old one? If a new tank, stick it on your current tank for 2 weeks.

-What size Ehiem canister do I need for a 30g? :) what about a 40g?

I cannot help there. I am a die hard fluval canister lover. But I would get a fluval 405/406

-How often should I clean it?

I clean my canisters every 3 months. Mine don't seem to gunk up as much.

-Do they make a lot of current? :) if so, will it make it hard for my fish to sleep?

You could do a spray bar which will lessen the current. They don't make one for my filter so I point the output into the tank wall. My fish have no problems with the output at all and I have two of the bigger ones made.

-Do they work just as well as HOB filters?

That really depends on personal opinion. I like mine more, just because they carry more media.

-Do they make a lot of surface agitation?

Mine does. If you get a spray bar, you can position the bar above the water line or turn it so the holes face up.

Sorry! I just want to make sure I'm fully informed before I decide on a filter :) any input helps. Please feel free to tell me anything else I should know, and recommend any brand you like. The one I've heard good things about is the Ehiem.

Any links to the filter I should get (preferably on amazon!) would be super duper awesome! :) thanks a ton!

This is the filter I would get if I were you. And if you choose to get an even bigger tank, this would really help.

Fluval 406

I can tell you that my fluval cleaned the tank way better than my HOB's...I miss it. It was so quiet, too! I didn't have issues with too much current and I used it on my 29 gallon when I first started. I had to clean mine once a month, though.

I've never had an eheim, but I love my Fluval 406 :). You can turn down the flow up to 50% without harming the motor, or so the manufacturer says. The way I seeded my aquarium, was a combination of the above methods, like this:

I took a sock that didn't have a match to it and put some rocks from my tropical aquarium in it. Your BB is for the most part going to be attached to surfaces - I put this sock next to the ceramics in my HOB filter (you could do the same in a canister), and occasionally I would just shake the filter(s) from my tropical (I have a penguin) into the water (if it's poo then it's food for the BBs). And I fed it fish food until I found ammonia from ACE hardware (thanks tithra) to get the bacteria growing. After that it was a whole lot of hurry up and wait. I waited 3 weeks before putting my fishes in. I probably could have done it after 2 weeks, but I wanted to be on the safe side. Did a 80% water change before I put the fish in and voila.

Thanks so much for your help!! :)

Do fluvals make any noise?

A little, I notice it more if I have the airwand blowing bubbles in it. Then there's a wooshing sound as the air gets pushed out of the output.

I've never had an eheim, but I love my Fluval 406 :). You can turn down the flow up to 50% without harming the motor, or so the manufacturer says. The way I seeded my aquarium, was a combination of the above methods, like this:

I took a sock that didn't have a match to it and put some rocks from my tropical aquarium in it. Your BB is for the most part going to be attached to surfaces - I put this sock next to the ceramics in my HOB filter (you could do the same in a canister), and occasionally I would just shake the filter(s) from my tropical (I have a penguin) into the water (if it's poo then it's food for the BBs). And I fed it fish food until I found ammonia from ACE hardware (thanks tithra) to get the bacteria growing. After that it was a whole lot of hurry up and wait. I waited 3 weeks before putting my fishes in. I probably could have done it after 2 weeks, but I wanted to be on the safe side. Did a 80% water change before I put the fish in and voila.

Oh, so it isn't insta-cycle?? Darn. That sucks :(

I was under the impression that seeding a filter made it immediately cycled.

Thanks so much for your help!! :)

Do fluvals make any noise?

A little, I notice it more if I have the airwand blowing bubbles in it. Then there's a wooshing sound as the air gets pushed out of the output.

Oh, they make noise? I'll have to look into a different brand :) any noise will be a for sure problem at my house.

Edited by pandamanda111

Mine doesn't make any noise at all, unless air gets into it. If that happens, you just turn it off to force the air out and then plug it back in.

Seeding doesn't mean instant cycle. But if you put the filter onto your current tank for 2 weeks, then that will make an instant cycle. "borrowing media" from another tank is seeding. But if you put the whole filter on, that will be the best.

Interesting.

What size Rhein would be for a 30g, alistarw? :)

The 2 canister filters that i would recommend for a 30 gallon tank would be either the Eheim Classic 2217+ or the Fluval 406.

Eheim 2217+ Actual output 208 gph - Power consumption 20w

Pros - One of the most reliable filters ever made. Cons - Doesn't come with ceramic media.

Fluval 406 Actual output 248 gph - Power consumption 23w

Pros - Excellent reviews, alot better than the 405. Cons - More expensive than the Eheim, some stockists still unable to get spare parts.

Thanks uk becs! I'm not positive if I'm getting a canister yet, but I want to learn a lot about them do I can make an educated choice! :)

Guys, if I ended up getting an AC 110, how could I cycle it before I got the new tank? There isnt any room for another filter on my tank. Any ideas? :)

This is what I would do in that situation, if I had the time to do so: Get some filter padding. You can buy it in bulk and I think you can even get it at Petsmart. The one I buy looks like this. Cut a few pieces (maybe 2 or 3... whatever will fit in your filter) that are the same size as the top of the rectangle sponge in your existing filter, and add those as a layer in your existing filter. I would put them right on top of the sponge. Leave them for a while, maybe 2-3 weeks, then remove them from the old filter and put them in the new one. Since the new filter is bigger, they should fit just fine.

You could really use any filter media for this, but I like the padding because it's easy to squish in there without disrupting how things fit in there too much. :)

Edited by kortniee