Veil Probs?

kukana d

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

I agree you need to treat the whole tank since all of them are sick... I would do the salt for now hun... It does sound like something is wrong with the R/O water :(

Susan, how much MMs do you have left? I am thinking that in this case, we want to pre-emptively prevent some further mishaps. With ich, the possibility of secondary bacterial infections are distinct, so I would like for you to do the same protocol as with the other fish, which means, with one small modification, which is this:

- 1 3% salt dip (this is the modification - one instead of 3)

- 0.3% salt

- Metro-Meds as food for 2 weeks

- daily water changes

- tank temp at 80 degrees.

Do you have enough MMs? If not, I would go ahead and order some more from Rick tomorrow so that it gets here before the end of the week.

Ok,slight problem-some of the fish i had already dipped got back across the net I had dividing the tank-and i can't tell which 1s !!!!! All i can say is- I got most of them-some 2x probably. Does this mean I should do another dip tomorrow?I will put them into a diff container as I finish them.

I am almost out of MM-hardly any.But I ordered some last wed or thurs. I do have more metro gel food-shall i start them on that and switch when the mm arrives? I wwasnt going to feed today-theyre pretty shook up,but shall i try some gel or wait till am? I will get up @ 4am to put the next .1% salt-taking it to .2%-I'll have it all ready to go b4 i go to bed. The last .1% will go in tomorrow aftnoon @ 4.

re w/c's-how can I simplify this? will it be 70% again? I'll make it 75 to try to keep easier. If I do a 70% i will have to turn off all filtration for the duration-is that ok? I can speed things alog by siphoning+ pumping while emptying.

Ok,slight problem-some of the fish i had already dipped got back across the net I had dividing the tank-and i can't tell which 1s !!!!! All i can say is- I got most of them-some 2x probably. Does this mean I should do another dip tomorrow?I will put them into a diff container as I finish them.

Let's reassess tomorrow. I think you are good for now. The main thing with ich is to have the tank salted to 0.3%, and you are doing that.

I am almost out of MM-hardly any.But I ordered some last wed or thurs. I do have more metro gel food-shall i start them on that and switch when the mm arrives? I wwasnt going to feed today-theyre pretty shook up,but shall i try some gel or wait till am? I will get up @ 4am to put the next .1% salt-taking it to .2%-I'll have it all ready to go b4 i go to bed. The last .1% will go in tomorrow aftnoon @ 4.

Feed whenever you like, but once you start, keep going. I think it's fine to start with the Metro-Gel and then switch over when you get the MMs. Do you have enough Metro to make food until the MMs arrive?

re w/c's-how can I simplify this? will it be 70% again? I'll make it 75 to try to keep easier. If I do a 70% i will have to turn off all filtration for the duration-is that ok? I can speed things alog by siphoning+ pumping while emptying.

A 75% WC is fine. I always turn my filters off while I do my 90% WCs. Your filter should be pretty durable, and a couple of hours will not hurt the beneficial nitrifying microbes. I would wait until after 4pm tomorrow when you've added the salt to 0.3% to do WC. This will make things a lot easier. I'll be around to help with calculations when you need :)

Let's reassess tomorrow. I think you are good for now. The main thing with ich is to have the tank salted to 0.3%, and you are doing that.

Feed whenever you like, but once you start, keep going. I think it's fine to start with the Metro-Gel and then switch over when you get the MMs. Do you have enough Metro to make food until the MMs arrive?

yes-I think I have another 50gr. mm should be here very soon.

A 75% WC is fine. I always turn my filters off while I do my 90% WCs. Your filter should be pretty durable, and a couple of hours will not hurt the beneficial nitrifying microbes. I would wait until after 4pm tomorrow when you've added the salt to 0.3% to do WC. This will make things a lot easier. I'll be around to help with calculations when you need :)

Ok,i'll wait.thank you so much,alex :heart The way I gauge how much water im changing is w/ a measuring tape!

If you don't have one yet I would highly recommend a uv filter. Emperor aquatics is my favorite brand. I would aim to get your nitrates below 10 and make sure your filters are not clogged up with organics.

If things aren't pristine in my systems my bristols get similar congestion on their fins.

The uv will help keep bacterial and fungal loads in the tank significantly lower.

Best fishes

David

Www....................com

Edited by Ichthius

Sorry to see you've another problem brewing. I agreed with Alex about your R/O water. Just by looking at your water parameters one cannot really tell what's wrong. Your fish will always be the first to tell you that something is not right. Nitrate @ 40ppm+ shouldn't have caused this. I'm very suspicious about your water quality, these symptoms are exactly the same as your other orandas, ranchus., you got ich, tails are beginning to rot and soon ich will explode and your veils will be covered with white slime again. I'm no expert with R/O but I always question why the need to use it. If it's just ammonia that you are worrying about from your tap, you can always use Ammolock, or Zeolite in you system, It's so much easier. In fish keeping, it's best to keep everything simple and usually you'll encounter less problems, it's just a thought.

Well, anyway what I suggest is to salt them @0.3% and heat 80F to tackle the ich first. You might need to add Metro if bacteria is diagnosised or separate any fish that may start to pinecone and treat accordingly with epsom, mm or metro food. Your pick.

Good luck.

It looks like you are in good hands here. But I just wanted to say hang in there. No worries about shutting your filters down while doing a water change, I turn mine off every week when I change my water.

Thanks for the input guys.

David,I do have 2 Aquamedic 18w uvs for this tank-but I have not had them in use for a while. They are in-line uvs and they take up a lot of room in the cabinet-I suppose I could put them elsewhere? Like maybe hanging off the back w/ some straps,or something? I also have 1 for the pond-another brand-that has never been used. I will do my best to keep Nitrates below 10-it will be much easier now that I am using all tap water after this.

Jeff,I believe this is all part of the same ich outbreak-I had grabbed the net from the veil tank to swipe some hair out of the qt tank the incoming,infected fish were in-before I knew they were infected. And yes,I have a feeling my r/o days are over! Who knows,maybe when all of this has passed,I will look back and say it was almost worth it just to get me away from the ro and all the complications!

Thank you,Amy-I am in VERY capable hands here :heart And thank you for the vote of confidence about shutting the filters down-I can be SUCH a nervous Nellie when it comes to these guys :krazy:

Thank you,ladies-I won't worry about it then! ;) There are still 2 hrs. to go b4 I can add the last .1% salt-to take it to .3%-then do the 75% w/c. I am glad we will be doing the large w/c-it perked them up for a while yesterday.Some of them-especially the bigger ones for some reason-remain at bottom.When I look over,there are randomly a few-anywhere from 6-10(out of 19) up and swimming about. Some of the smaller ones seem to be back to normal.Is there a reason the big ones are having a harder time? I fed them some MM b/c my new shipment is due to be delivered tomorrow,so I don't have to concern myself w/ running out. it was hard to tell if they all ate b/c I dropped them into the middle of the pack.I am particularly worried about the big blue Speckled female-she is the largest by far. She took the salt dip kind of hard,then I 'bumped' her on the tank lid while putting her back. These guys may be sick,but they are still VERY strong.She has remained at bottom,all but 1 x I saw,and seems to be breathing kind of heavily.

Here are some pics and a vid to show how they are today-pre w/c and full salt concentration(forgive the mess-we did our salt dips on top of the tank last night):

20120327_7997.jpg?t=1332883477

20120327_7998-1.jpg?t=1332884621

20120327_7999-1.jpg?t=1332884677

20120327_8002-1.jpg?t=1332884847

20120327_8001-1.jpg?t=1332884791

http://youtu.be/vKNdxpVQYyg

Hey Alex,after I add the last dose of salt,then do a 75% w/c of 150ish gallons-how much salt do I need to add back to take it up to .3% again?

EDIT: I forgot the current params:

a-.25

ni-0

na-10

ph-8.2

Also will I add the label amount of Prime today?Thank you :)

Edited by kukana

Your cycle is handling the ammonia and nitrite in the tap beautifully, Susan, so I don't think you need to worry about using tap as your water source :)

I'll edit those post to add more information in a little bit. (In the mean time, see if you can identify the sitters and/or others who have bad cases of fin damage).

When you do a 75% WC on that size tank, you will need to add back 1280 grams of salt to bring it back up to 0.3%

Edited by dnalex
Salt Info

oh the poor babies :( I hope they start to feel better asap :) hang in there Susan I know this must be so overwhelming for you after all the others :( I'm sure there's some light at the other end of the tunnel ;) keeping you and all your finned ones in my prayers :)

Fede,that fish has been upside down for a couple of months(long b4 this started)-I just haven't had time to treat him w/ all that's been going on. It started when I started feeding them an expired bag of Hikari purple.It was sold to me (for $10.00)by someone I trust and told me the food is good 1 yr. past exp. I don't think so-this 1 got floaty,and eventually flipped-and another has a hard time getting up off bottom.I am hoping the MM will help this.I want to separate and put into shallow water-but there's just been too much going on.I do have some free tubs now though.