Sign in to follow this  
kukana d

Veil Probs?

Let me start by saying that I will be soooooo happy if I'm just freaking from all the stress!!!

Other Required Info:

Test Results for the Following:
  • 0* Ammonia Level
  • 0* Nitrite Level
  • 40+* Nitrate level
  • 7.6(could be higher-just reg ph test)* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • api drops* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • 70.2*F* Water temperature?
  • 170g-4yrs.* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • 2 eheim 2080 pro3's and sump* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • 1x/wk 50%* How often do you change the water and how much?

• Last Tues-5 days ago* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
    • 19 Veil tails* How many fish in the tank and their size?
    • 70% r/o-rest tap-Prime* What kind of water additives or conditioners?
    • Saki Hikari purple 1x/day* What do you feed your fish and how often?
    • no* Any new fish added to the tank?
    • no* Any medications added to the tank?
    • none* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
    • I FREAKED seeing a few of them up at top near overflow box,and 1 other being floaty.I looked,and thought I saw white on their tails-afraid ich!But may just be bubbles(see pics) * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
    • just up by overflow box.* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

20120325_7940.jpg?t=1332724616

20120325_7942.jpg?t=1332724604

20120325_7944.jpg?t=1332724589

20120325_7946.jpg?t=1332724578

20120325_7949.jpg?t=1332724562

20120325_7951.jpg?t=1332724551

20120325_7952.jpg?t=1332724546

20120325_7954.jpg?t=1332724535

20120325_7957.jpg?t=1332724518

20120325_7959.jpg?t=1332724509

20120325_7961.jpg?t=1332724498

20120325_7960.jpg?t=1332724503

Do you guys see anything? I emptied the tank about 40%-am refilling w/ r/o now.........

susan.. first pic far left, to me, that looks like ich.. as well as the quality of the tail.. there's sure to be something funky going on there. i hope i am wrong.. can you make the water changes to get the nitrates down as much as possible.. and then take another look? if it's still the same way, then i am afraid there may be the beginning of ich happening there too :(

lets do the wc's and reassess.. ok?

susan.. first pic far left, to me, that looks like ich.. as well as the quality of the tail.. there's sure to be something funky going on there. i hope i am wrong.. can you make the water changes to get the nitrates down as much as possible.. and then take another look? if it's still the same way, then i am afraid there may be the beginning of ich happening there too :(

lets do the wc's and reassess.. ok?

Agreed! I am most worried about the fins. They look like they are deteriorating.

It's hard for me to tell about ich, but I too do see frayed tails and a lot of unnatural looking redness in the fins.

I'd definitely try to get the nitrates down as far as possible first. 40+ is too high and causes a lot of stress for the fish, making them so much more prone to issues. I hope this will help getting them all back into a much better condition :)

Deep breath.............Yes,that sounds like a plan,but it may be a while w/ the r/o.Maybe I can add a little more tap than I usually do? 1 of the non-coloreds has some serious red where his fins and tail attach also-I am HOPING this is an indication of nitrates...................?

high nitrates can cause problems with fins as can other stressors.. lets take one step at a time and correct the nitrates by offering the water changes in which to reduce them first.. and then we'll reassess.

Ok,and that gives me hope. With everything going on here for the last few weeks-these guys have gotten their w/c's,but that's about it-no filter mait.. I did test the water a couple of days ago-and nitrates were 20.Maybe the w/c will go a long way..............

W/C is done and they seem better........We can assess tomorrow(which is really today). Maybe even another w/c then.........

Great! What is the new nitrate reading, Susan? I think that another WC today will be very helpful, and several extra WCs added weekly for the next couple of weeks will go a long way in helping them. I know you have a lot on your plate.

do you have enough air flow in your tank? they look to be huddling around you filter's outtake in you first pic. try melafix. it's been my number one go to medicine for my golds when they don't look 100%

They are all huddled in a corner this am. I really am starting to suspect something about the water-my r/o unit or remineralizer? Just about to check tank params.........pics uploading

I think they have ich. I think I see it on the tail of the orange one.

Since you have Way to many when am I getting mine? lol JK I think more water changes should do the trick. Good luck

Am-0

ni-0

na-20

ph-8.2

Am finding ammo in r/o water-these guys used to 75/25 r/o:tap mix. Can that be it?

I gotta do something -theyre ALL hudled in 1 corner now-NOBODY swimming around.

20120326_7963.jpg?t=1332780777

20120326_7964.jpg?t=1332780829

20120326_7965.jpg?t=1332780880

tap params

am-1

ni-.25 na-0

ph 8.2

What should I do?

r/o params

am-0

ni-0

na-0

ph-8.6

I know w/c but what water should i use?

Oh dear. Try and do a large water change. I think one of the orange ones might also have some raised scales.

I'm wondering if there is something going on with your RO system. Let's try to compromise and do a 50/50 RO/tap WC, and then we will go from there.

Do you see any fin clamping? When did you last treat for flukes, if at all? Also, can you check very carefully if there are any signs of ich?

Did anyone else get RO water? If so, what percent, and how are they doing?

Hang in there, Susan.

OH no this does not look good. I sure hope you get it worked out soon would hate for you to lose any.

ok-

I'm wondering if there is something going on with your RO system. Let's try to compromise and do a 50/50 RO/tap WC, and then we will go from there.

I'm thinking going 100% tap-i think it's r/o or remineralizer.

Do you see any fin clamping? When did you last treat for flukes, if at all? Also, can you check very carefully if there are any signs of ich?

Did anyone else get RO water? If so, what percent, and how are they doing?

Yes,Alex,blue has it-wondering if that's whats wrong w/ him-he's barely alive this morning-kinda surprised he is. Other tanks have ro too-nsigns YET. Pond has been getting 100% tap and theyre fine. Maybe 100% tap+ 2x Prime? What do you think?

will get a vid so you guys can see.........Emptying tank now............Will get individ.pics later.

Hang in there, Susan.

That's fine. You can even triple the dose, but make sure to have very very good aeration for the tank, please.

Does prime take up oxygen? Do you think this can be whats wrong w/ blue also? should I switch him over to 100% tap too-or wait and see how the veils do(sorry,mixing threads!) If push comes to shove-I can fill the pond and throw these guys in there...........

Prime, or any water conditioner, will remove oxygen from the water, as part of the chemical reaction to remove chlorines/chloramines from the water. With Prime, the caution is that you never use more than 5x, but in emergencies, you can use up to that.

How long has the pond been drying? Let's try the WC with full tap first and see.

The pond has fish in it!!! All those mostly small chu's.it's been getting a 75%/day w/c,salt.

Ah, OK. Let's not mix them. We'll see what happens after the WC, OK? :)