brown algea(?) after adding duckweed?

My goldy tank is not planted it doesnth ave a grow light jsut a normal bulb dont even get green algea in there.

but my 10 gallon betta tank ive got lots of duck weed so i decided instead of tossing it out to toss some intot he goldy tank for betty and marchello to munch.

well i tossed in quite a bit and after about 2 weeks its all gone. but ive noticed a brown sludge on the walls of the tank i did a huge wanter change becuase i first i thought it was the water itself.

but after adding new water it was still brown noticed it was clung to the glass scrubbed it off came right back.

could it be brown algea or somthing else? what do i do with it other them continuesly scrub it off?

Interesting. It certainly sounds like brown algae! Not a whole lot to do besides scrubbing it off. You could try to add some fast growing plants to the tank to eat up the excess nutrients in the hopes of starving out the BA. I added pennywort to my tank a month or so ago and it has actually noticeably decreased my BA (it's not gone, but seems less rampant). I wonder if the extra waste the goldies were producing from eating the duckweed potentially spurred the BA growth? not sure.

its jsut strange it began to grow cause like i said this tank isnt set up for growing its jsut a normal florecent bulb no grow light. :/

Well, the low lighting can actually be a factor in BA growth. You could also try upgrading your lighting and see if that helps. If you could grow some green algae that would help to out-compete the BA. Brown algae is the bane of my existence :rofl Sorry you have it now!

I agree. Brown algae is most common in lower light tanks. And you can transfer it through plants. I've had success with adding more plants or upping the wattage of lights. You could also try a blackout.

• Supporter

Like Tithra said, it might be the low light. I put two compact fluorescent bulbs in one of my tanks and every thing grew like crazy. Now that they're a year old I have noticed brown algae growing. I did some reading and after a year the bulbs aren't putting out as much light. Also this time of year, the angle of the sun promotes algae growth. (I think it does any way)

awww dang! i decided not to have a planted tank cause i didnt feel like messing with bulbs lol oh well guess i will pick up and grow bulb and grow some green algea i tried growing green algea in my 10 gallon planted tank was growing sooo darn good on the side wall was getting thick and lush then all of a sudden the patch got smaller,and smaller,and smaller. but theres no signs of brown algea in that tank which is good.