Sign in to follow this  
viking_snail

Possible internal parasites/fin rot?

Yeah .. I guess you're going to notice any red in the fins alot more given his colouring. The mark is so faint I don't know if I'd notice it in my other fish!

I agree about his fin, too. My dad was saying he'd think something had taken a bite out of his fin if it weren't for the fact he's by himself! I can't think of anything he could have caught it on either... odd.

At least he's acting fine. And I have now learned the right term for that fin! :P

Try and do a good cleaning and salt maybe 1%.

Maybe he is just a little stressed? SW which is very large and all white will get CRAZY red streaks when I do water changes. He totally freaks out and bottoms sits all throughout. Then a few hours after he is totally fine.

Do you add vitamins in your gel food? And probiotics? Maybe that is enough to give him a little boost :)

1%? :yikes

You get the idea! LOL

I was sitting out in the sun about to die of a heat stroke lol

Haha. That one decimal point is important!!!

Anyway, salt might not be a bad idea, but I think I would just do extra WCs in lieu of salt :)

Well before I was away I was doing at least 3 water changes a week on his tank - just to keep everything super clean. While I was away he went 6 days without a change.. the nitrates didn't get overly high (20 max), which given the tap level it's not like he isn't used to that! Perhaps just the time off from water changes made this happen. Could the heat affect it? It's been over 25 here for about 10 days now.

I like to think it's because he missed me :rofl

Yep, probiotics and vitamins in the food. I will do some extra water changes and see how it goes before adding salt :)

Ingrid always misses me when I am gone! She is SUCH a drama queen!

But I think it might be the missed water changes. You see the stress in white fish much faster.

How warm is the water? My fish do great in 26C

Haha aww! At least you know she cares :P

I'm about to do a water change now :) The tap nitrates are even below 10! It's a miracle lol.

He was set to 24 before this heat. I had a heater set up in there because it always gets so much colder in my room, and it had been particularly cold. Right now he's about 27, just because it's so warm here right now!

I think things with Clive are getting better... or at least, they're not getting worse! His tail is continuing to grow, and the black is still reducing - almost gone now! The fin with a chunk missing appears to be pretty much the same, no more damage to any fins. The streaking is still there, but I think it's looking less angry...

I've been doing water changes every other day, and the water has been consistently 7.5, 0, 0 and 10. I haven't added any salt yet. What do you guys think?

Also, I do hope I'm not going to have to reintroduce Clive back to the main tank prematurely. However, I suspect a leak in the hospital tank! I think I know where it's coming from, and it's right in the top corner where the seal is going just a little. It's not leaking alot, I noticed a little pool of water at the bottom of the tank rather than noticing a drop in water level. Hopefully if the water level is reduced just a touch that will solve things for now. Great timing as I'm in Holland next week! lol

Sounds like everything is on the upswing, Sarah! :Congrats:

I don't think you need to add salt at this point (or anything else), and he is probably OK to move back to the main tank :)

Crossing my fingers for the leak!

I think everything sounds good.

Have a fantastic time in holland! I love it there!

So far so good on the leak! Haven't seen any more water where it shouldn't be, so there is the possibility some got spilled! Either way if it is leaking, it's not in a bad place (top corner rather than bottom!), and my parents will be here to look after things :)

If it weren't for the fact I'm going away I would probably try moving Clive back home, but I would really rather be here to watch how he goes. So maybe when I get back if all remains well! :)

Thanks guys! Me and Clive couldn't have done it without you! :D

Just a little update - Clive went home on monday! :D So far it all seems to be going well - they were all very excited to be reunited, and seem to be behaving exactly as normal :)

562092_10150984285405818_568440840_n.jpg

Fantastic!