Sign in to follow this  
viking_snail

Possible internal parasites/fin rot?

Ok that's put my mind at ease a little :) He seems ok at the moment - well, same as before really. He hasn't eaten anything yet since the dip, but hopefully that will change soon - I keep trying.

Today Clive still seems ok after the salt dip, looking and acting much the same. He has eaten a tiny bit better today, but he has still probably eaten less than half of the dose of MMs today. I'm hand feeding and rubbing the pellets in some crushed garlic to try to make them more appealing, but half the time he's not interested. Even when he is, he'll get a couple down then it's like he has difficulty chewing/swallowing them or something.. and spits them out. I'm concerned because obviously he needs to finish the course of antibiotics, but he needs some food to give him strength and help him gain weight ... aside from just keep trying I'm not sure there's much more I can do right now? :(

Just keep trying. It may be that the recovery is slow, but that's all we can do :)

Yeah, until the past 3 days he's been eating great. Yesterday and the day before he only managed to keep down maybe 7 pellets, today it's been much the same. So at least he's getting something :)

Today Clive is the same. Acting ok, but not eating well. He's managed to keep down about 5 pellets if we're lucky.. and 2 small pieces of pea. I wish I knew what the problem was.. even if you think he's eaten a piece, if you watch for long enough chances are he will spit it out again. I tried cupping him in my hands to look in his mouth (not that I know much about what looks normal for the inside of a goldfish mouth), but nothing looked obviously wrong..

This is really starting to wear me down .. :( Not only this but it seems there's a tiny cycle bump in the main tank. I presume that's due to media from their filters being put in Clive's tank, and the extra meal a day we've been doing. And I can't even rely on having good, clean tap water ... :(

Today not alot has changed! Clive is still looking the same and acting the same. Eating very little, but otherwise looking ok all things considered.

Sunday will be day 14 of MMs and 0.2% salt. If everything is still the same by then, obviously I will quit the MMs and try feeding him normal food - anything atall I can get him to keep down! Also I am tempted to remove the salt. I very much doubt the salt is causing him harm or stopping him eating, but I figure he's been in it a fair while and we can always put it back in. I just think it might be worth a shot giving him just plain old fresh, clean water for a bit and seeing how things go. There's always the option of the other antibiotic (was it macaryn?), but I don't know whether that's suitable any more or not... we shall cross that bridge if/when we come to it!

On a side note ... the excess slime coat appears to have made a minor comeback in the main tank. Just one fish affected (Kimi, who was the one most affected previously), he's showing a little flicking here and there too. I had the thought that maybe the one salt dip before the last round of Wormer Plus maybe wasn't quite enough, so thought I would do another dip on him and one more round of Wormer Plus and take it from there. Unfortunately Kimi didn't have the greatest experience in the salt .. he was in for less than 30 seconds before he went sideways (same strength as last time). Obviously I took him out straight away, and he seems ok now. Maybe because there's no salt in that tank it was a bit much of a shock? I'm thinking maybe a lesser strength of salt.

Just a quick update - Clive is eating well again! :) Getting very excited about food time, rooting round the whole tank to find it, and eating it rather than spitting it out! And I could swear his tail is looking a tiny bit better... :)

And Kimi is still ok after my stupid salt mistake. So all seems well here at the moment :) Aside from the most random trace of nitrite in the betta tank - after a water change with 0 nitrite in the tap?! But it's settled down again now, so panic over.

Sorry I haven't updated in a few days! Things are good, though :) I will post some new pics soon. Clive is doing great *touch wood* I think! :D He's behaving just like his normal self now. Happy to see me, very active, very greedy and excited about his food. I think he's gaining weight, and the black is very very slowly fading. I even think he might have the tiniest bit of growth on his tail, but I sense that's gonna take some time! I don't want to move him back until there's been a good amount of growth, though. I'd be worried about the other fish nipping and it might affect how fast Clive can swim to compete with food. Plus you never know when he might need a bit more salt, too. But so far so good! Thankyou guys, couldn't have done it without you!

As for the other tank, I tried Kimi with a lower salt level dip the other night and that went well. I haven't seen any more flicking, but I'm gonna do another dip maybe tonight then again with the wormer plus. I think last time maybe the one salt dip wasn't quite enough, and it reduced the problem but maybe didn't eliminate it entirely. But both fish are looking fairly good, so things are going in the right direction I think :)

Very good news! Hopefully he will be back to his normal white self soon :)

Right sorry for the delay! Here's the most recent pics, sorry about the silly angle I've managed to get him at, but it shows his tail best. Rest assured he's swimming perfectly fine and normal, just caught him turning :)

cliveb2.jpg

cliveb1.jpg

I think he's looking better. Obviously there's a long way to go - I don't know how long his tail will take to grow back, that's assuming it grows back completely.

The only thing to concern me right now is last night I noticed a tiny touch of black on the end of his tail - I think you can see it in the pics. I don't know if it's good black as in healing, or something else?

I think he's doing fine. Just give it time! :)

He's definetely gaining weight. I was looking back through this topic today, and I can't believe the difference from some of the first pics I took. Ok in the first pic he still had a tail, but he looks so much healthier now. And he most definetely has his appetite back :P I'm feeding him up with lots of protien, and he's loving it haha! I was wondering whether a probiotic gel food (not that I know how to make it) would help even more?

I think the black on his body is fading too, just very very slowly.

I think that Clive is one amazing fish :D If any positive can come from this, me and Clive have got closer lol! He was always very friendly, but I think he's become even more so. And he's so calm with me handling him and hand feeding him now. I swear he actually enjoys having his belly tickled .. :P

It is true. You always get very close to the 'special needs' fish :)

Do you know how to make gel food? If so you just need to add a few empties capsules of a probiotic like acidophilus (which you find in the pharmacy) once it has cooled.

Yep I'm onto it! :D Picked up some probiotics today, plan to make it at the weekend :)

Right picture time! I really need a better camera lol.

I tried to get some pics showing his tail. I know he looks a little red near his gills, but he doesn't actually look like that lol. I think it's the effect of the flash on his white skin.

clivey2.jpg

clivey1.jpg

clivey3.jpg

I think his tail is making progress. It may take some time but I think he will get there! He's still eating fine and acting good. I think the black is getting less aswell. He's less skinny, but I'm giving him lots of protien to help build him up lol.

Would it be best to wait until his tail is 100% better before moving him back home?

Wow. He looks infinitely better. You did very well, Sarah! :)

I would wait until he's a little more healed before bringing him back to the other tank.

Do you use wheat germ in your gel food? I recently started using it, and love it! :)

Thankyou :D And I couldn't have done it without you guys. It feels good to actually get positive results treating a fish for a change, lol.

Nope never used wheat germ! What are the benefits of it?

It's a really nice source of proteins and vitamins. I used to add crushed pellets to my gel food mix, but even then I sometimes get a little bit of floatiness in the fish. Now, when I switch to wheat germ in place of crushed pellets, there is not even a hint of floatiness. So I think that wheat germ is infinitely more digestible to goldfish than other ingredients in the pellets.

Fede has been using wheat germ as well, and for much longer than I have.

Sarah, if you go to the link in my sig on the agar food for floaters, I updated my recipe to include the wheat germ. You can modify it based on that :)

Time for a Clive update :)

I'm still really happy with his progress. The more his tail grows, the quicker it seems to grow. There's still a way to go obviously, but looking good! :D And the black is still slowly fading. I don't think he's put on much more weight, but he's pretty much back to the size/shape he was before all of this happened. I still wish I had a definite answer as to what went on, but that's life eh? lol.

I took a little video of him today because it was alot easier than photos :P

th_fishvideo001.jpg

Another reason I'm happy about his recovery (besides the obvious lol), is that there's a good possibility I will be away for 5 days (maybe 4) at the end of this month. My mum will be here to look after the fish, and I trust her with them. But there's no way I could have left while things were bad. The cycle in his tank seems stable now, but I'm still doing water changes maybe 3 times a week or so to keep things clean. I'm confident he is well enough (especially if his progress continues) for me to be away by the end of the month :)

Hello again! Time for a Clive update!

I was away all last week, though luckily my mum was about to take care of the fish. She was feeding (sparingly :P ) and testing the water and such - all went well. Things seemed good when I got home.

Clive is still very active and seeming happy - eating plenty, his tail is still growing and the black is really close to being gone now. However the day after I got back, I noticed there's a tiny bit of pink streaking in his tail. I can't think of a reason why since the water is testing good (consistently 7.5, 0, 0 with nitrates from 10 - 20 depending on the tap). I noticed today there is also a little chunk missing from one of his fins (the fin between pectoral and anal - I don't know the name for that one!). His behaviour is encouraging as he seems totally normal, but I'm really concerned about this. I don't know why it's happened, and I'm scared that what happened before is just going to repeat itself :(

Here's the best pic I could get:

cliveredstreak1.jpg

You can just about make out the pink and the damaged fin.

Any ideas as to why, or suggestions on what to do?

Hi Sarah, just keep watch on him, and let us know if things get worse. At the moment, it does seem like watching is a prudent course, but both of these signs are not necessarily concerning. The red in the fin could be normal, as Clive is an all white fish, and the missing piece on the pelvic fin doesn't seem to be ragged and looks more like a clean cut.