Sign in to follow this  
viking_snail

Possible internal parasites/fin rot?

hun, has clive been exposed to long periods of salt? if so, how long? i am not including any salt dips here, just asking for use of salt in the tank water.

Because of suspected external parasites, salt went in the main tank (with all 3 fish) on 11/02/12. We took it up to 0.3% until 26/02/12, so about 2 weeks. It then went down to 0.2% while I did a few rounds of wormer plus, and the salt was removed by 11/03/12. So quite a few weeks of salt. He's at 0.2% in the QT tank now, and has been since sunday/monday. Do you think the salt could be causing a problem?

Ok I have got the methylene blue just now - found it at a lfs I don't usually like to go to, but needs must! I couldn't find wound powder or the other medications mentioned though. Would a salt dip and a methylene blue bath help atall? If so how exactly should I go about it?

Sarah, I'm not sure that a prolonged immersion in methylene blue is a good idea at this point, since MB will damage your cycle. I am concerned the in Clive's condition, the additional stress & toxicity placed on him by ammonia & nitrite might be too much.

I'm not proposing to rule out MB as a treatment, but definitely I do not think that MB as a prolonged bath is a good idea at that point.

Edited by dnalex

I think Michael just dips the fish in tho. I don't believe it is more than a few mins. You could also just dip in the tail I would imagine?

Otherwise you could just dust it with any disinfecting wound powder you have? I have used Merfen and Cicatrex. (both in my pharmacy box)

I do think the MB is very mild because you can use it on the fish eggs.

How is Clive acting and breathing?

To be honest, before today I'd never even heard of wound powder! Never used anything like that .. if a cut or whatever gets infected (human-wise lol), we'd use salt water or something like Savlon, which is a disinfectant liquid.

Yeah I thought we were considering a dip in a MB solution as opposed to actually putting it in the tank?

Today Clive is acting reasonably well. Perhaps not as active as when he was healthy, but he's been swimming about and rooting around the stones in the tank looking for food. Eating well, and his breathing looks normal.

Very good.

Okay so the dip should be about 10mins. Let me go see if I find the dosage.

wound powder , like this is very handy both of people and pets,

DSCN8658.jpg

I see. Michael, you are basically making a homemade version of bio-bandage :)

Is the wound powder really crucial to this? Cos I can have another look for some tomorrow, but was wondering whether the MB dip would be ok for now?

the dip will be good. the powder just helps healing.

the powder is much better than the biobandage actually because it sticks much better.

Ok so the bottle says 1ml per 5 litres - is that an ok dosage? If I put him in the solution for 10 mins then back in the tank, and hopefully get some powder tomorrow.

That's instructions for treating the whole tank. I wondered if it should be stronger for a dip, but I don't want to overdo it either..

We should wait for Michael. I think the dip should be slightly stronger.

Ok so the bottle says 1ml per 5 litres - is that an ok dosage? If I put him in the solution for 10 mins then back in the tank, and hopefully get some powder tomorrow.

yes that is the dose 1ml= 20 drops, so 4 drops per liter and it can be swabed or drop directly on dammaged fins surfaces too.

When I mix it with other chemicals such as copper sulfate and such the dose is cut to half. ( sorry for late reply am having so troble with modem tonight)

edit: and can be repeated ,even daily as needed until results are seen

Edited by mikroll

Thanks Michael.

How comfortable are you holding the fish? Cause I was thinking you could just dip the tail in that solution. So you don't stress his gills? Just an idea

How comfortable are you holding the fish? Cause I was thinking you could just dip the tail in that solution. So you don't stress his gills? Just an idea

Or just swab the fins.

So he doesn't need to be in the solution for a set amount of time? I can give swabbing/dipping a go, but depending how wriggly he is he may well end up going completely in!

Thankyou everyone!

Damnit I totally forgot about the water conditioner problem! I forgot to pick up a different kind! :(

Ok so got another water conditioner and will do the MB dip tonight!

Clive is looking more positive today. Ok, he still looks rough physically - his tail is still the same, but he's much more active. He's swimming about and getting excited when you come to see him and feed him, eating really well, not looking quite as skinny, so fins crossed! :)

On a side note... my nitrate test kit confuses me. I use the API drop one which is great, but my new one has a different looking colour card to the old one. The old one has 5 as a yellowy orange, 10 as orange, and 20 as a more red orange. This new one has 5, 10 and 20 all pretty similar oranges ... so how am I supposed to work that out?! lol

I have that one lol! I really have no idea what color means what! I now use a german brand.

I am happy he is more active. That is the best sign.

I think I'm going to stick with the old colour card, it makes alot more sense lol. The colours usually get darker the higher the number - but the one for 20 is paler than the one for 10!

Yep, he's acting like there's nothing wrong what so ever at the moment. Brave little fish :)

Well I did the MB bath lastnight, and it seemed to go ok. Clive didn't seem bothered by it - although his tail was blue afterwards! Since last night, a few 'strands' of Clive's tail have ended up coming off. However, the red in his tail is looking alot less aggressive, and I think his other fins are looking a little bit better. Again, his dorsal fin is very upright.

His behaviour has been much the same - fairly normal, all things considered. This morning I did have a little trouble feeding him - he kept spitting pieces out. But through the day that's got better, and he's eaten pretty much all of the MMs for today plus a little egg white.

Something that particularly concerned me today was there appears to have been a little cycle bump in the hospital tank. He's in 90 litres with 800lph filtration, seeded from the main tank. Yesterday ammonia and nitrite were 0, today I had ammonia at 0.5 and nitrite at 0.2. That worries me for obvious reasons, also because there's 0.2% salt in there. Luckily as I use Amquel Plus and had done a water change within 24 hours of those readings he should have been protected? Either way I've done back to back water changes today to get it down to 0 and will be watching those readings like a hawk..as always!

It seems like a big rise in ammonia in 24 hours though .. especially as I'm routinely syphoning out excess waste (the filters don't seem to pick alot up..). The only things I can think of is that either because his tail was kind of shedding last night that may have produced excess waste? Or there is the fact that a tiny bit of MB water (I'm talking less than a litre) accidentally ended up going in the tank when Clive was put back in. But I did add a little Amquel Plus (supposed to near enough neutralise MB) when that happened... I've added another piece of sponge from the established filters into Clive's filter seeing as the big tank's cycle seems to be coping well.

I will try to get some pics tomorrow to show you how he's going.

i know MB disrupts the cycle, but if you dipped the fish somewhere else and then placed the fish into the cycled tank, i don't think that's enough to affect cycle. can you post the QT water params again?