Sign in to follow this  
scelestustempestas

Please help my little Oranda! I love him so..

okay, so ceramic rings are these:

Aquarium_Ceramic_Rings_Filter_Media.jpg

they go in your filter and are great because they have a lot of surface area for the beneficial bacteria to colonise on. obviously you want a lot of beneficial bacteria as they deal with the ammonia and the nitrite. they are an addition to mechanical filter media, like sponges. so for example, in my external canister filter, I've layered it coarse sponge at the bottom tray, where the water goes through first, then it reaches the bio media in the next tray, and then it goes through the crushed oyster shell with a thin layer of filter floss on top. the crushed oyster shell is just so stabilise pH for me, so not everyone has this. filter floss is also optional, but I find that it really clears your water quality up. in my internal filter, with the smaller compartments, I just have the bio media at the bottom basket, the coarse sponge in the second, and fine sponge (not filter floss) on top. everyone's filter media layouts differ, so it's really a matter of choice - you just want to really have the finer stuff closer to the output as they're usually just the final stop to grab the bits that the coarser stuff doesn't. :)

in the tanks that you see bubbles coming up, they'll either be airstones, diffusers or bubble wands. these are attached to an air pump by an airline. I'd recommend them because not only are they beneficial in aerating (the surface agitation of the water helps get more oxygen in for the fish), they also look great hehe. I may personally be a bit biased though lol. I've got a Penn Plax bubble wand myself, with a Tetratec air pump, and they've both been working perfectly for me.

you don't want to properly wash the gravel as the beneficial bacteria colonises on the upper layers of that too - giving it a scrub might give your cycle a bump! you can rinse it in a bucket of tank water though, but I can imagine that would be a pain in the bum to do it bit by bit. I personally got rid of the gravel for the very reason you're having to vacuum all the time - I was sick of all the grot that got inbetween. that and one of my goldies got a bit stuck in his mouth and made me panic haha. at first I thought I wouldn't like going bare bottom but I am now so glad I took the plunge - would never go back to gravel or even sand now! the only problem with bare bottom I find is that algae finds a way of creeping up and I have to do a scraping (using an old store loyalty card!), but tbh it's not that much more work since I have to scrape the walls of the tank anyway.

hope at least some of that helps! :) it's weird how when you first start off, you don't realise how much these little guys need haha. then you really get into it and next thing you know, you've spent hundreds of quid on them!.. not just me, right??

Edited by cathface

I am glad to here he is doing better. I just want to emphasize though that your water change schedule was not too rigorous. Many people here regularly change more water than that in their tanks. That being said, if you are cycled (no ammonia/nitrite) you can stick with a 50-80% water change every 5-7 days if you want (make sure nitrate does not rise above 20 ppm).

- Just to clarify, you only want to salt while treating for flukes, the salt is not something you want in the tank regularly, as it is a medicine.

- The buffer, water conditioner, salt, and fluke solve are all fine to use together :)

- You want to always use the water conditioner and buffer. These things will not interact or do any harm to your fish. They will only make things better for him :)

- Depending on how thick your gravel is you may want to consider removing some if you are still seeing waste in it. A thinner layer is less likely to breed bad bacteria and will be easier to clean. Many people go without gravel or just a small sprinkling of it for these reasons.

- I would still recommend getting the fluke solve if you are able since he has not yet been treated for flukes. It is a gentle medication and a good preventative measure.

- The ceramic media is something to consider, it is certainly beneficial, but not your top priority :) don't worry too much about it. Cath gave you a nice overview if you are interested.

Here's a list of things to get now:

- A buffer for the tank (if you haven't already)

- Water conditioner (preferably seachem Prime or amquel plus either one is excellent)

- Kusuri fluke solve

- aquarium salt or a salt from the grocery store that contains no additives or anti caking agents

Also I think we would all love to see more pics of this little guy! He is absolutely adorable :) You should start a thread in the pictures section of the board :D

Edited by tithra

It's great to know that your fishie is doing better. :) Your entire post made me smile.

Tithra and Cath have given a nice overview. :)

We want to see more of your boy. Keep smiling. :)

I don't have any more advice to add to this- but I wanted to say I'm glad he's feeling better, and gorgeous fish!

Hi,

Just wanted to thank you all again for the support and generally being lovely people! Now all I need to do is work out how to change up my profile and I can post lots of pictures of Fatty looking healthy and happy! What a little diva :P

xx

I have become his fan. :)

And you're always welcome. Keep smiling always. And keep amusing Fatty by your dancing and us, by his wonderful pictures. :D

Take care. :)

are you worried about the spots? that just means hes a boy ready to breedThe bumps

Hello,

Thank you for your addition to the thread. However, please pay attention to the date which the thread was made, and whether the issue was resolved. In this case, it was, and the thread was started 3 months ago. :)