Smallest type of Goldfish?

Aluyasha

I am sure there is a few rare, almost unheard of types of goldfish out there but I am asking about more common fancy types (I know the single tails would not be part of this question. lol).

I have heard Pearlscales are smaller than most, is that true? I have always wanted some Pearlscales but I only have a 15g to put them in and if I got some I would want a pair.

I am also interested in Orandas. :)

Just interested to hear some thoughts and opinions. :)

15 gallons is too small for any goldfish I know of. Fantails are the smallest, to my knowledge, and even a 20 gallon is pushing it for just one. Plus, Goldfish like to have buddies. The Buddy System is how they roll ;)

Orandas actually get pretty large, as far as I know. lol

Unfortunately, i dont think there are any goldfish that you can have 2 in a 15 gallon :( 2 in a 20 MAY be doable, but you'd probably end up needing a larger tank after the start to grow a bit :)

You could have a in there though! He'd love all that room! :)

I was pretty sure I could not put goldies in my 15g, just thought I would ask to make sure. lol

I will just stick with my bubble eyes in a 30g. :)

Edited by Aluyasha

Pearlscales actually grow to be fair big. In addition, their round bodies give them quite a bit of mass. Orandas are also not small.

I think that as far as small goldfish go, celestials may be the smallest. However, I don't know that I would put 2 in a 15 gallon.

I think a 15 gallon is too small for 1 fully grown goldfish of any kind to be honest, so even if you only had one, you'd have to upgrade as they got bigger. what about trying your hand at a freshwater shrimp tank? or maybe a betta tank? :)

I am thinking, don't we have someone on here with 2 celestials in 15g? Molly maybe? Celestials are quite slim for fancy, giving them a much smaller body mass. I also only rarely see pics of really big ones. The ones I see IRL are maybe 3" body length. Of course there are some that grow really big, but this seems to happen rather rarely (from what I can find).

Still, if you have the means, even for two celestials I'd try to get at least 20g.

A 30g would be great for most other goldfish. Always keep in mind, the larger the tank, the better. You can keep them in smaller tanks, technically, but that means tripled maintenance.

The problem is that the smaller types of fancy goldfish are also the most delicate. Regardless of their size, delicate goldfish should have the best possible water quality, and this means a large tank.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the above posters, 15 gallons isn't adequate for any type of goldfish, at least not for very long anyway.

Maybe you can use the 15 gallon for tropicals? A school of corydoras or a city of shrimp or something. :yeah:

A 15 gallon isn't suitable for most Corries, either :P They need the foot print a 20 long or 29 gallon gives them (however long that is, I forget). Shrimp are totally fun, but I can't imagine having that big of a tank for only shrimp lol But there are lots of choices for a 15 gallon =3

A 15 gallon isn't suitable for most Corries, either :P They need the foot print a 20 long or 29 gallon gives them (however long that is, I forget). Shrimp are totally fun, but I can't imagine having that big of a tank for only shrimp lol But there are lots of choices for a 15 gallon =3

Thanks so much, Akari, I've been misinformed by several other fish sites on cories, they said 15 gallons would be great for a school of 6-8 of the smaller corydoras species. D:

I know the regulars on Koko's nearly always know what they're talking about, so I'll trust you on it. Good thing I don't have cories....yet. Eventually I want some. :)

Sure thing :) Haha, I'm far from a regular on Koko's. but I'm a member of 2 tropical fish forums, and a betta forum. Came here so I can get more focus in on my goldfish, and get ideas on my pond lol

If you can find them, Corydoras pygmaeus, Corydoras hasbrosus, and Corydoras hastatus are all good for tanks as small as 5 gallons. But since they like to be in larger groups, 10 gallons or larger is actually better. I had a couple hasbrosus, and I loved them! Sensitive little things, though, and I just lost them to a Gill Fluke treatment :/

Panda Cories might actually be ok in a 15 long. They stay about an 1 inch and half, and are SUPER cute. $6 a fish, though :/

Ok, I'm done now :P