I still can't decide how to redo my tank!

Okay, so..... I've got my 38 gallon with my two goldies in it! I've got all the old gravel out now. I have new gravel (natural-ish colours and black) but I'm very undecided if I want to use it!

Originally, I was thinking of using this new gravel, and use lots of big rocks and drift wood, and make a really pretty planted tank! Now I've been looking at a bunch of pictures of tanks that you guys have posted, and I think I'm starting to lean toward a more simple approach, mostly bare bottom with my piece of driftwood (I already have it in there with a bunch of java ferns growing on it), and maybe a little glass container with a bit of gravel (or river rocks) with maybe one other nice big plant growing out of it.

I just can't decide though! And I think I need a new background!

Anyone with a bare bottom tank, can you tell me a bit about it? I've never had bare bottom in all the years I've been keeping fish. What are your thoughts and opinions?

Oh yeah! One other idea I had was black gravel, black background, and tons of bright green plants, but then I thought.... Eugene is a black moor.... I'd never be able to see him! Hmmm.....

• Supporter

Black on black with green looks amazing, but I don't think you would be able to appreciate your fish. I love having a bare bottom tank. I have a few little rocks and some stacked stone pillars in my tank, but other wise it's bare bottom. It's wicked easy to clean. All of the poo collects under the piece of mopani that I have in there and so when I clean the tank I just lift it up and vacuum really quick. :)

I have tried a few different substrates and always go back to bare bottom :) it's so easy to keep clean and no worries of hiding nasties ;) but your right black fish on black background is not a good set up for pics ;)

Well i have a tiny bit of gravel in my goldie tank not nearly enough to cover the bottom. I have a fishbowl with stones and a bamboo plant in it. Good luck with redoing your tank!