Sign in to follow this  
Spyromon

Please advise! My fish has an ulcer i think...

Please i need advices from an experienced goldfish keeper.

I noticed that all my fish in the aquarium were missing some scales and their tails were a bit ripped so i started treatment with Prazipro and some aquarium salt and it has been 5 days now.

First of all i need an experienced member to advise me HOW TO CONTINUE the medication for flukes and parasites. Also note i have just bought and received Fluke-Solve that has praziquel in it and don't know if that is better to use.

Most importantly i am worried about by giant Fantail that has an ulcer(?) i think on it. What should i do? I just noticed it today. Don't know how long it was there. Not more than 3 days I guess because i had a good look at all of them 4 days ago.

Thanks in advance.

IMAG0555

IMAG0579

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74021057@N03/6865471052/in/photostream/

Edited by Spyromon

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level
  • * Nitrite Level
  • * Nitrate level
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

The parameters are fine. I even did 3/4 water change when i started prazipro. How should i continue the treatment? I prefer not to remove the goldfish with the ulcer as it is very old. Is it an ulcer? Will salt cure it?

Note that the fish are eating fine and look very lively.

IMAG0558

Edited by Spyromon

Sorry but we really can't give more advice without more information :(

Spyromon, you know better than that. It is extremely important to know what the exact parameters and the conditions of the fish and tank. Hence the questions, which encompass more than just parameters. Also, saying parameters are fine is not helpful. Fine is one of those relative terms that could mean different things, depending on the individual. Please post answers to all the questions.

Enable us to be helpful to you. Thanks.

Guys i only have test strips now and don't have extra money to go by other testing kits for now (sorry but i really can't) and the test strips don't give numbers. I follow a simple routine to replace water weekly. The water quallity is great, i don't use city water, i use mountain village water that is cleaner and leave it in the sun for a few days. The fish are greedy eaters (they have a great appetite) and are swimming normaly. I had 2 fish in a smaller aquarium for 2 months and moved them to the new aquarium about 2 weeks ago and i'm guessing they got the parasites from them because those two are ok, but the others got damaged fins and tails (the signs implied parasites or flukes) and now that i treated with Prazipro and salt they seem better. I found an article on how to use prazipro , when and for how long and when to do water changes. It's probably from the introduction of the new fish that i actually had Quarantined.

Please just tell me your opinion what is that on my goldfish's back. It looks like an ulcer but not sure as it is just developed and doesn't seem to develope further, maybe it was a wound from the parasites that was just opened but is getting better from the salt... i don't know.... The fish is looking lively, eats a lot and the Tetra test strips show water quality excelent. I feed them various goldfish foods, even peas on rare occasions. I didn't saw any missing scales on this fish when i first started treating with Prazipro and salt. It isn't a hole, it's above the scales.

What do you think it looks like?

Edited by Spyromon

Spyromon, the reason the answers to those questions are so important is because they narrow down causes and problems to what is happening. They are very important in diagnosing and are usually all people can go off in terms of helping you.

If you do not want to buy a liquid test kit, your LFS should do it for you. Make sure you get exact values because I have found that they say 'they're fine', which really is no help at all. They usually do it for free, but as everyone else has said, they are very important and it is hard to actually go ahead without those questions answered

All the best and good luck!

Edited by Narny105

In addition to the parameter questions, there are other questions on the list that are very relevant to the situation, including your water changing habits, your stocking level, your previous treatment history etc.

Again, I repeat, without those numbers and the answers to those questions, it's really difficult for us to know where to begin.

Unfortunately, it is. I sometimes get lazy about testing water because I maintain my weekly water changes and nothing ever changes. Then one day after not testing for a month, I tested before my weekly water changes. The nitrates had climbed to above 40ppm! And that was with no changes in my routine. It turns out that the nitrates in my water source rose. It is so important to know those numbers.

I understand you don't have a drop test kit now, but we do need more detail in general.

I follow a simple routine to replace water weekly. The water quallity is great, i don't use city water, i use mountain village water that is cleaner and leave it in the sun for a few days. The fish are greedy eaters (they have a great appetite) and are swimming normaly. I had 2 fish in a smaller aquarium for 2 months and moved them to the new aquarium about 2 weeks ago

What is the routine? How much water? How big are the fish, exactly how big are the tanks? See what I mean? Without these kinds of details we really can't give advice. There are so many variables that contribute to fish illness and disease. It could be due to new fish, inadequate filtration, overstocking, something in the tank harboring bad bacteria.

Without a clear description of your set up, we'd only be guessing.

Spyromon, the reason the answers to those questions are so important is because they narrow down causes and problems to what is happening. They are very important in diagnosing and are usually all people can go off in terms of helping you.

If you do not want to buy a liquid test kit, your LFS should do it for you. Make sure you get exact values because I have found that they say 'they're fine', which really is no help at all. They usually do it for free, but as everyone else has said, they are very important and it is hard to actually go ahead without those questions answered

All the best and good luck!

My LFS doesn't care about fish. The fish are in terrible conditions at petshops and nobody really cares about them. The goverment here doesn't care about animals in general, the last thing they care about is fish... i know ... it is sad.

you still haven't answered any of the other questions - no one can properly help unless you answer at least some of them.

Guys it's ok i found an expert and he helped me out. Fish will be better soon.

I'm sorry that we are not able to help you. It's unfortunate that we were not able to obtain the necessary basic information in order to help.

Best of luck to you.

you still haven't answered any of the other questions - no one can properly help unless you answer at least some of them.

First of all guys, i don't live in the USA, i live in a small island in the mediteranean sea. My LFS doesn't offer free water tests, they don't even care about a fishes health in general. If you see how they treat goldfish here you will cry, I don't have the water measurement units for water parameters as i only have test strips now and can't afford more expenses and use the strips once a week to test water quality and do water changes.

Guys i just wanted a simple answer and advices of how to treat the sore. I keep on telling you the water parameters are fine. Just wanted medication names, experiences or advices. But never mind... i found an expert and he helped me out. A million thanks to all that helped :clapping:

I just never had a fish with a sore before and really wanted someone to advice me.

I'm actually quite experienced (had goldfishes for a year now), read 5 books about goldfish and even breed goldfish (only managed to hatch 2 babies as they ate most of the eggs as i was away, and have those 2 growing and will post a diary with daily photos and videos soon - waiting for them to grow a lot more-i take photos every day-also uploaded 3 photos to see that i'm not lieing to you below)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74021057@N03/6869020698/in/photostream

I'm sorry that we are not able to help you. It's unfortunate that we were not able to obtain the necessary basic information in order to help.

Best of luck to you.

Everything is fine, don't worry. Guys i'm sorry i couldn't give extra info. Just didn't had the time or the materials.

All 5 fish in the aquarium are very lively.

I have 2 aquariums.

5 goldfish in the big 190L aquarium and 2 goldfish in the small 30L aquarium (they are the 2 babies parents in the 30L which were actually in a smaller aquarium 15L when they gave birth on the spawning mop and now will move the babies to the 15L <fry> aquarium)

On my profile they are the first five and the last two are parents

Edited by Spyromon

Hello. I would like to address some of the issues you've presented here.

1. I understand that you are not from the US. Many of our members here are not from the US, though. Wherever it is you hail from, the fundamentals of goldfish keeping remain the same - good water and maintenance = healthy goldfish. Without knowing what the water parameters are or devising a way to ensure good water quality, it would be extremely irresponsible of any fish keeper to make a suggestion as to any kinds of meds. Here is a quick example, the tetracyclines do not work very well at basic pH. If you didn't know what your pH is and you were treating with a tetracycline, you could be wasting your time.

2. If you are able to get meds for your fish and books about goldfish keeping, you should spend some of your investment toward a water testing kit.

3. There were many other questions that were asked of you, such as stocking level, water changing habits, tank size, and medication history. These you could easily answer, but you've declined to answer them.

4. Even keepers who have kept fish for decades will still consult with others, and the first part of the discussion inevitably will be water quality. There are many many keepers here on the forum with cumulative experiences of 100+ years of fish keeping, yet they still actively discuss their goldfish issues here. That is part of the benefit of having this amazing forum here, and the fun of having access to other goldfish keepers.

In the end, good luck and best wishes to you. I'm sorry that we couldn't skip the fundamentals in order to provide you with quick answers.

Edited by dnalex

Guys i just wanted a simple answer and advices of how to treat the sore. I keep on telling you the water parameters are fine.

You know how when you go to the doctor, he asks you questions to try to figure out what is wrong? Same thing here. And you say the parameters are fine, but how do you know? If you don't know the numbers either, how can you say they are fine??