Does the same stocking rule apply to larger fish?

Hey there!

I was thinking-

There's a fish I really want, but it's 8 inches (4 inches without tail!), and I can only get a 29 gallon tank. I want to get two fish for this tank, because I would feel far too guilty having a lonely fish. What if I got this big fish, and 1 small fish, around 3 inches? Would it be mean to keep such big fish in a 29g tank? I already got some great advice and opinions from a couple members, but I wanted to see what the rest of you think. I really, really want this fish, but only if I can give it a good home. I don't want to make it unhappy.

What do you think?

Thanks! :)

-Mandie

For a fish that big, the 29 gallon will already look very crowded with just one. I don't know how good it will look with two. I would go with either a bigger tank, and someone a little smaller :)

Darn. Maybe I could email Steve and ask if he has any small ryukins or pom poms that arent up on the website? I wonder if he would be okay with that. Probably not, huh? Bummer. All the cute fish are so big!

Of course he is. I think he says somewhere on the website that he often has more fish than listed. If you are interested in something, shoot him an email and ask. :)

I emailed him. He says he's putting new ones up soon,but he can't sellme one under 2.5" becaus the color isn't intense enough yet. Darn. What size fish should I get for my 29?

Are there any other reasonably priced sites?

Edited by pandamanda111

I am sure he won't mind the emails at all. He does want to sell fish so I am sure he will be more than happy to help you out :P Ohh so exiting to be looking at more goldfish already! I love the fish on his website, they are amazing, wish he sold to Australia lol.

Good luck :)

For sure get a smaller one. I see that with my 2 teles they are okay in the 30Gal. They are maybe 3-4 inches. But my larger ryukins wouldn't even fit in that tank to begin with!

So are you guys saying that you can not keep two full sized goldfish in a 29 high tank???I'm confused,isn't that what the 20 gallon for the first fish followed by 10 gallons for the second fish thing is all about??

I couldn't even see 2 the size of Clementine in a 30gallon. She is not really an extra large size...about 6 1/2 inches long, 3 inches tummy to base of dorsal. Two her size would be cramped in a 30.

For fancies 29 gallon should hold 2. Otherwise whats the rule for? The rule is meant for full size fancy fish.

With 2 large water changes a week he should be able to keep 2 large fancy fish.. or might as well change that rule ..

Edited by rhorizon74

For fancies 29 gallon should hold 2. Otherwise whats the rule for? The rule is meant for full size fancy fish.

With 2 large water changes a week he should be able to keep 2 large fancy fish.. or might as well change that rule ..

The rules are not really rules, but are guidelines. In general, they work, but not when the fish are that huge, unfortunately :(

Perhaps 2 large water changes might work, but it's not very practical. When we make suggestions, we try to aim for at most one large WC weekly. I think people are more likely to adhere to that schedule. The same with suggesting a bigger tank or smaller fish. :)

I don't think it's a rule so much as a guide line. I think it's fairly easy for the intermediate goldfish keeper to use common sense as to what size would be appropriate for their fish. The 20 gal for the first and 10 gal for each additional fish guide line is a minimum that could expand in the case of a very large fish, in my opinion :) Good luck with your fish hunting, Mandie!

Edited by horserider36

I don't think it's a rule so much as a guide line. I think it's fairly easy for the intermediate goldfish keeper to use common sense as to what size would be appropriate for their fish. The 20 gal for the first and 10 gal for each additional fish guide line is a minimum that could expand in the case of a very large fish, in my opinion :) Good luck with your fish hunting, Mandie!

Well said! :)

Personally, I would recommend the big guy and a medium sized guy. You'll have to keep an eye on the smaller guy, though b/c you'll want to upgrade when he gets bigger :)

Edited by horserider36

Hm... ok. I have a 6-6.5" oranda and a 5.5" rancu in a 55 gallon and they are happy. If the oranda grows more than an inch or so, then I will look into upgrading. I don't think that may have been the exact help you were asking for but maybe that helps a bit :)

Edited by horserider36