Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wrog

cruel to stop it?

Guest Wrog

Hello, you may have seen my other thread about getting a bigger home for my fish. This was mainly because my fish have mating behavior all year round and this time of year It gets really wild and I'm scared they're going to get seriously injured. But as I have increased tank size before I realise it just makes the problem worse (as they can get more speed up)

The female already has a red dot on her head when she hit the glass and both males have a loose scale.

I was thinking of a tank divider? and had a few questions.

The female starts going from bottom to top of tank 20" frantically wiggling, is she eggbound and does she need the males to beat the eggs from her?

Would stopping this behavior be concidered cruel? they all sulk if I split them into two tanks.

I have 2 males commets (I think) 6 inches long, very big round bodies massive fins.

The female is white, short fins, faster than the males (but believe me they can all move!)

They have lived together for nearly ten years, the female is twelve.

All seem happy and healthy otherwise, I just hate to think of them getting hurt because I am doing something wrong, or because of something I could have prevented.

They live in a 55 gallon with eheim air defusers along back of tank, also have a eheim 2217 using shepherds crook outlet.

My question is would a tank divered be a good idea or would it not?

Does female need brutal help from the boys at this time?

Thanks.

Wrog.

Do you have a picture of your tank? Sometimes you can arrange it so the female has a corner to hide.

Wow, has this been going on for 12 years? :o

Comets and single tails do best in 20 gallons each and pick up a lot of speed yes. In fact as they get bigger females are best suited to ponds really where they don't get so beat up on.

Stopping this is not cruel at all. You could keep the female separate and she would be fine. No reason she would get eggbound without males, it's quite a rare condition.

I have just ordered a large breeding net from amazon for my blue oranda as she is confirmed female and the other 2 fish are definately male and have been giving her a hard time this last week. I can pop her in the breeding net to give her a break from the attention of the other 2. A net would probably be too small for your fish but mine is small so it should do the trick. A divider would be a good idea to give her a break.

Guest Wrog

Thanks for the replies, it just seems to me that the female seems to start it all off? The tank has a log in it, there is room to hide, she sits behind it when resting, but after she has rested, if the guys are ignoring her she will have a couple of fly bys if that fails she goes behind and (I guess) nips a tail then they both chase her for ever this ends up with what looks like wrestling on the bottom of the tank.

They are actually a very passive group when this is not going on, they just drift around always very close together.

I shall get a divider and see what happens, five years ago I put the female in her own tank and all three sat on the bottom and did not eat for a week?

I have just been told it's eleven years they have been together, so the female is at least 13, however she was rescued and quite big when I got her, and she turned from red to completely white around five years ago. She is completely tame, eats out of my hands and sulks if there's no tickling on water change day!

She looks quite old close up around the gills she looks a bit wrinkly! seems healthy enough.

Thanks again

She'd get a lot more beat up in a pond! I had an orgy (followed by a feast) in my front pond a week or two ago, all of the girls who were gravid have missing scales. It's hard for me to see how they are getting scraped. I have no stones or anything in there, just some plant stands and pots and the pump.

Try turning off the light and going in the other room. It appears your female is enjoying it.

Guest Wrog

You would never know anything happened now! all three (looking a bit wragged) drifting around like ghosts! I will try a divider, I will have to buy online to be delivered on my next rest day.

Again, thank you all for the help and replies.

Wrog