Sign in to follow this  
MexiMike83

What kind of auto-feeder do you use?

Thinking about following Tithra's example and getting one for when I'm at work.

Auto feeders have come a long way since I started keeping fish and they have improved a lot.

However, food is exposed to air in many of the cheaper ones and can get damp (mouldy) from the proximity of the water after a few days. We have had many sad stories pass through the forums of owners who lost fish to autofeeders that have overfed (many have 3 times a day settings that cannot be altered) or fed rotted food.

How long are you away at work? Short business trips of 3 days or so the fish will be fine with no food at all.

I use the Fishmate F14 auto feeders and they are great. This feeder can feed only 1 time a day or as many as four times a day. I think it's a more natural way to feed fish, since goldfish are scavengers naturally who do best with frequent, small meals throughout the day. I have one on my 75g tank with four goldfish. It's set to feed them three times a day, but it dispenses the food very slowly over a 1-2 hour time period. So it drops out a few pellets every few minutes or so during the feeding times. I've had absolutely no issues with using it (been using it for three months now), and I've seen a lot of growth in my fish since starting to use it. I would be careful to check it often to make sure it's not getting damp, because you don't want the food getting moldy. I've never had this problem, but it can happen. Also keep in mind that if you decide to feed more using an auto feeder, you need to do more water changes and preferably be understocked too.

Yep, fish love to graze. If your auto feeder works good Sakura that is good news. It has been many years since I used one.

My tanks have a lot of green algae and green water so my fish are constantly snacking on that so I find even feeding just once a day they get so fat :P

I agree, the more small feeds the better BUT as you say, only ifit's possible to keep up with the accompanying increased water changes that goes with that.

I work 12 hour shifts-I work at a hospital. Add the one hour commute each way, that turns into a 14 hour day.

Currently I have 2 Orandas in a 56 gallon tank. I will get 1-2 more fish in the future after the bacteria have gotten a chance to catch up to this bio load (new tank, fishless cycled it for 3 weeks with seeded medium). I'm just considering the possibility.

I have the eheim air feed and the fish mate f14, I highly prefer the fish mate bc you can choose exactly how many pellets come out. With my eheim it is really variable, sometimes it dumps out 2, sometimes 10.

I have the eheim air feed and the fish mate f14, I highly prefer the fish mate bc you can choose exactly how many pellets come out. With my eheim it is really variable, sometimes it dumps out 2, sometimes 10.

That's the thing that made me stay away from the Eheim one. I like the precision you can get with the Fishmate.

That's the thing that made me stay away from the Eheim one. I like the precision you can get with the Fishmate.

Yeah, I bought the Eheim first because the fish mate was out of stock everywhere, figured Eheim was a reliable brand so it must be good right? Nope. terrible. I can't find any other brand besides the fishmate that allow you to say exactly how many pellets come out at a time :)

I use the Fishmate F14 auto feeders and they are great. This feeder can feed only 1 time a day or as many as four times a day. I think it's a more natural way to feed fish, since goldfish are scavengers naturally who do best with frequent, small meals throughout the day. I have one on my 75g tank with four goldfish. It's set to feed them three times a day, but it dispenses the food very slowly over a 1-2 hour time period. So it drops out a few pellets every few minutes or so during the feeding times. I've had absolutely no issues with using it (been using it for three months now), and I've seen a lot of growth in my fish since starting to use it. I would be careful to check it often to make sure it's not getting damp, because you don't want the food getting moldy. I've never had this problem, but it can happen. Also keep in mind that if you decide to feed more using an auto feeder, you need to do more water changes and preferably be understocked too.

Oops, correction. I actually have it set to feed twice a day, not three times. But most days I also feed them a third feeding each day by hand. :)

I use the Fishmate F14 auto feeders and they are great.

was about to ask this same question, found topic on search. just ordered 2 fish mate f-14's, one for each tank! for 3-4day long beach vacation use. will probably still manually feed while i'm home =)

I use the Fishmate F14 auto feeders and they are great.

was about to ask this same question, found topic on search. just ordered 2 fish mate f-14's, one for each tank! for 3-4day long beach vacation use. will probably still manually feed while i'm home =)

that's great :) As with any autofeeder you may want to try it out for a couple days when you are home just to make sure you have it all set up the way you want and it is working properly. It took me a little while to figure mine out, but I might just be slow :P

I thought about using auto feeders. But the main disadvantage is that I can't soak the pellets. Anyone came up with a solution?

I personally don't see the point in auto feeders unless I

-- want to fatten up a show fish

-- have fry that need fed several times daily and I'm at work more than 8 hours daily

-- am gone for quite a while

-- have a whole lot of fish to feed

For me, an auto feeder would take away from the actual personal interaction I have with the fish. Looking at them is all good, but I am really having fun with them during feeding time :)

I thought about using auto feeders. But the main disadvantage is that I can't soak the pellets. Anyone came up with a solution?

Yeah, that certainly is a big disadvantage, and one thing that I do not like about the auto feeder :( I put very few pellets in each compartment of the auto feeder so that they are not getting a big meal of unsoaked pellets, just a small amount. I wish there was a way to get around that.

I personally don't see the point in auto feeders unless I

-- want to fatten up a show fish

-- have fry that need fed several times daily and I'm at work more than 8 hours daily

-- am gone for quite a while

-- have a whole lot of fish to feed

For me, an auto feeder would take away from the actual personal interaction I have with the fish. Looking at them is all good, but I am really having fun with them during feeding time :)

I still feed mine 2-3x at night :) I just use the autofeeder so that they are getting a continuous snack throughout the day. I figure it gives them something exciting to do every couple hours during the day ;)

Yeah, that certainly is a big disadvantage, and one thing that I do not like about the auto feeder :( I put very few pellets in each compartment of the auto feeder so that they are not getting a big meal of unsoaked pellets, just a small amount. I wish there was a way to get around that.

Thank you very much Tithra. I'll buy a Resun autofeeder and put very few Tetrafin Pellets in it so that they won't overfeed themselves. (These Tetrafin Pellets soak in just 30 seconds). Thanks for the suggestion!