Sign in to follow this  
DesigNerd

Shubunkin with massive fin rot

The fins are still frayed I'm afraid. However they aren't continuing to unravel, so that's good.

Okay, already have the .1% solution. Now to give him a new bucket with .2%

Later today shall I give him his 3% saline dip?

Yup. Fin healing will take a number of weeks. The most important is that we halt the fraying and allow him the chance to heal, which sounds like you've done. :)

Yes, please. Another salt dip sometime today.

He only lasted 10 seconds at best and that was with my fingers helping him. His tail is looking dark red near the frayed parts. Is that the healing process?

He only lasted 10 seconds at best and that was with my fingers helping him. His tail is looking dark red near the frayed parts. Is that the healing process?

Sadly, no. Healing should be white, or should there be healing burns, black marks...

Could you please upload some pics of this? I'm going to alert the moderating team, just to make sure we get as many opinions and suggestions as we can.

He is looking more filled out to me which is good. All around I am seeing some improvements, but I am wondering about starting something like metro meds or medigold? My only other thought was to wonder if internal parasites might be an issue.

He seems to have been through a lot. The last 30 hours or so he's been happier than a long time. Playing in the bubbles and using all his fins. His right pectoral fin that has been clamped lately is in full consistent motion now. *sigh of relief*

At least his fins aren't fraying and rotting away anymore.

I don't know if there's anything more we can do for him besides finish this salt treatment because he's already been through soooo many meds and he's starting to finally look better at this point.

Yay! I'm so glad to hear of the improvements! :)

Is he in 0.3% salt? The dips and this should help tremendously!

How are the fins? Have they stopped deteriorating?

Yes he's in the .3% solution and his fins have definitely stopped rotting. Looking more like the healing process. The best part is his full motion and use of his right arm. I haven't done the 3rd salt dipping, do you think he could forgo that and move back to general pop?

I would do the third dip, and keep him at 0.3% for at least one week before returning him to the main tank.

I'm glad he is doing better :)

Okay. He's just so lonely and bored in there.

Okay. He's just so lonely and bored in there.

I know. He's getting well though :)

How are things going?

He's looking peckish. I don't think he's been eating. Gave him a salt bath today. Had it almost ready for him yesterday but when I got back to the bucket hours later for the water to get to room temp. the water was still freezing cold so put it closer to the radiator overnight. But in the dip he lasted almost 3 minutes! He swam around in it and looked like it perked him up. When I put him back into the other bucket he sorta fell down and stayed on his side for a bit. Hopefully today I'll have the time to just sit with him and watch if he actually eats or not. This little one being sick, the nursery needing 2 water changes a day, and my other tanks are turning this into almost a full time job!

It's not looking better today. Sure the fins are fine and when he does swim he can use his fins but now it's this. What new level of hell is this?! He just collapses on the ground to his side.

I turned down the bubbles so it's easy to see but no worries, the bubbles are cranked way up high again.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid6.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fy230%2FEccoBell%2FFishies%2Fsick%2520fish%2Fcheckuponhisside.mp4">

This hobby sure can turn into a full time job. He doesn't look happy at all. I would do a water change ASAP, just in case something was off in the water. Save some of the old water so you can test it. Has he eaten at all that you can tell? Hang in there!

Oh, no. I think all these days of not eating have really weakened him. I also concur with what Amy said. :(

Is he able to open and close his mouth? When you lift him straight out of the water, does he open his mouth? I think if you are able to do, he's going to need to be assisted in eating. If you can get a syringe and peas (baby food), you can try this...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gwTpEiMkZRU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by dnalex

This is insane.

Yeah I have to pick up more mineral salts and food tomorrow anyways so I'll pick up a syringe. Know where I can get one of those, rite aid? And as for peas/baby food, does actual baby food work?

I just held him for a little bit and tried to hand feed him some squished peas. I couldn't even get it in his mouth. He's not opening up much at all. I'll probably need some sort of liquid. Maybe even something that dissolves nutrients into the water. I know that wont do much but it's better than nothing.

Yes, I'm talking about actual peas baby food. You can dilute the baby food in some tank water if need be. There is also liquid fish food that is often used to feed fry :)

You can ask your local Pharmacy for a small 1ml or 5ml syringe. I asked my Walmart pharmacy, and they just gave it to me for me.

Edited by dnalex

oh no :( He doesn't look good at all :( I agree with Alex and your local pharmacy should carry the syringe... sometimes it is by the children s cough syrup ;) Good Luck I hope you can get him to eat asap :)

Too late. :bye2:

At some point in the night/morning (my sleep schedule is off) the tubing from the air stone to the pump shot off. :yikes It was on full blast. He had no air. He didn't make it. :no:

RIP Zon

Oh, I'm so sorry :(