Sign in to follow this  
thankmy_luckystars

R.O water and Nitrate

Ive been having problems trying to keep my Nitrate down below 30/40ppm doing two small 10% water changes a week and feeding only once every three days (which i feel guilty for!) i use R.O water because i thought it would be the best,

I just tested my 'pure' R.O water and it has Nirate of 20ppm! I tested my tap water and it has slightly less than 20ppm, im thinking ive been wasting my money and time!

anyone else experienced this with R.O water?

I don't think I should really offer advise since I haven't had experience with this, but just so other people can, would you be able to state your tank size and how many fish you have in it?

I just use tap water, never really thought of using R.O water since my taps come out at less than 0.5ppm of nitrate. Maybe you could test other water sources and find out which would be best for your tank in terms of low nitrates :)

Edited by Narny105

oh man, that sucks. I have never used RO water and don't know much about it. Is there a reason you are using it over your tap? Seems like it would be better to just use tap, especially if you can only do 10% water changes at a time with the RO.

RO water is low in mineral content and pH can be very unstable using it with goldies. It's the only option for some but if your tap water has zero nitrates that would be WAY preferable and cheaper too :)

10% water change a week is not a whole lot, what size is your tank?

R.O water should be zero for Nitrates.

I have been using an R.O unit for my tropical fish for over a year and never seen any readings for Nitrate.

Best regards Keith