PLEASE HELP! Black moor goldfish with swim bladder problems

elli.olds

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Carbon Leaks back into the tank after 24 hours or so... Putting all that stuff back in the tank :(

Most of us dont use Carbon unless we need to remove meds...

Alright so I will be filling the hollow ornaments with the sand/silicon mixture described in the link, and I'll take out the carbon and just use the plain filter sponges. Also, what depth of gravel do you suggest? I hope these things will help!

• Admin

Alright so I will be filling the hollow ornaments with the sand/silicon mixture described in the link, and I'll take out the carbon and just use the plain filter sponges. Also, what depth of gravel do you suggest? I hope these things will help!

With the gravel most of us only keep about an inch or so.... the best way to remove it with out really disturbing the cycle, is take a bowl and every time you do a water change tank a bowl or two out. Dont do more than this as this may cause a cycle bump :(

Okay, the fish with popeye is doing alot better!! It actually is completely gone now and she seems to be doing fine! However, a few days ago I noticed that my tank is getting very cloudy.. I'm not sure what happened. What should I do?

Are you still feeding medicated food?

I would start with two back to back water changes and see how that goes. After that, if it's still cloudy, add carbon for a couple of weeks.

How are your parameters?

I'm so glad to hear he's doing better! :)

The parameters are all looking good. I did the water changes and added some fresh carbon and the tank is crystal clear again. Yay! :)

Great! :)

Be sure to remove carbon, or replace it after a month. It loses its usefulness after that time and could actually favor growth conditions for certain bad bacteria.

• 1 month later...

I'm back again! So far all the fishies are doing well except my common goldie.. She is the one who has had the recurring bouts with popeye. She seemed to be doing much better and hadn't had any trouble for quite a while but a few days ago her eyes started looking a little puffy again. I kept an eye on her but they didn't seem to be getting any worse and she seemed to be acting all right. However, today I went to feed them and i noticed that she was not doing well. Her eyes were a bit more puffy and all cloudy (which is new) and she was swimming slightly tilted to the side. I've moved her to my hospital tank and have tried to get her to eat some MG, but she is refusing. She is obviously feeling pretty crummy because she let me hold her and hand feed her some pellets (something she never has allowed me to do before). Shortly after I put the pellets in her mouth though, she promptly spit them back out. Ugh. I tried just dropping some pieces of MG in beside her to try and get her attention but when I came back a while later she still hadn't touched them. She seems to just stay near the surface of the water tilted at a slight angle with her head upwards. I'm not sure what to do or if I am using the right treatment. Please help!

I'm really sorry to hear about your fish, I hope he/she gets better soon!

What have you been feeding the fish? If it is constapation, you could try feeding peas.

I will post a link to a write up on my blog that might help of it is constapaton, if not you could look into various precedures to help.

I really hope your fish gets better!

The fish with the bloating issues is all better now because I have been feeding home made gel food :). However I am still having problems with the fish mentioned in the post above with the cloudy eyes. Do you have any suggestions or ideas for her?

I am sorry you are having goldie troubles again, Great to hear on the floaty fish recovery though :D

Could you get a pic of the fish please and maybe repost the water readings please ;)

Elli,

Let's start a new D&D topic for the fish with the eye issue, OK? This way we can start fresh and not have to worry about confusing fish. :)

Make sure to fill out the form in the new thread.