Sign in to follow this  
elli.olds

PLEASE HELP! Black moor goldfish with swim bladder problems

Which of my recipes did you use? I think he needs to be fasted again and then a new food made.

I know it's frustrating, but it just requires food modification. :)

I used your "No Float Agar Gel Recipe." I think that was what it was called. It had tuna fish, hard boiled egg whites, green pea baby food and probiotics in. That was part of it at least. Which recipe should I try next?

Did you add any pellets to it? If so, that's the part that needs to be cut out.

Try leaving out the eggs :)

What kind of "green pea baby food" some of those can have sugar and stuff in it :o

Okay, I'll try making another batch without the eggs. And as far as the brand of the baby food I don't remember what I bought.. What type do you recommend?

When I use baby food, I look for ones that have NO sugar in it... Just peas and water :) I find mine in a Fred Myers or Whole foods store :thumb:

Okay, I tried making the food with only green pea baby food (the brand with only peas and water), tuna fish, probiotics and gelatin. My moor is still floating, however. What should I try next?

Do you have Metro-Meds by any chance? First, I would like to fast him for about 3 days, and then given well-cooked baby spinach or green beans. If that doesn't solve the problem, then Metro-Meds is our last option :(

I haven't heard of metro-meds before. Where can I get them? I will try the fasting and then the spinach and keep you posted.

From goldfishconnection.com.

They also have one of the best pellet foods around, called Pro-Gold :)

Okay, here is the update. I fasted the moor for 3 days, after which he was not floaty at all. Then I fed him some cooked shelled grean peas and he also seemed fine. After that I started feeding him the normal gel food once more and now he is still somewhat floaty on and off but not as bad as he was before. Suggestions? Do I just need to have a couple fast days and then feed peas once a week maybe to clean him out?

Okay, here is the update. I fasted the moor for 3 days, after which he was not floaty at all. Then I fed him some cooked shelled grean peas and he also seemed fine. After that I started feeding him the normal gel food once more and now he is still somewhat floaty on and off but not as bad as he was before. Suggestions? Do I just need to have a couple fast days and then feed peas once a week maybe to clean him out?

Ok what is in the gel food.... Lets see if there is something causing it :)

The only things I put in the gel food this time around were tuna fish, green pea baby food, probiotics, water and gelatin.

Some fish have a tendancy to float on gelatine. Do you think you can find agar agar? You can find it at health food stores or Asian markets on occasion. My floaty fish doesn't float at all on that.

Hmm, I think I can probably get agar at whole foods. I'll try that and see what happens, thanks! I have another problem now though. I don't know if you remember but I had a regular goldfish that had popeye a while back. Well last month it had resurfaced again and I put her in the QT and administered MG for 14 days after which point she was all better and I returned her to the 55 gallon again. However, during the last week or so it looks as though the popeye is coming back. Also, she looks slightly bloated to me, but she hasn't eaten hardly anything. She seems uninterested in the food and she just stays in one place in the tank for the majority of the time. Could she have internal parasites of some sort? I am at a loss.

Hmm, I think I can probably get agar at whole foods. I'll try that and see what happens, thanks! I have another problem now though. I don't know if you remember but I had a regular goldfish that had popeye a while back. Well last month it had resurfaced again and I put her in the QT and administered MG for 14 days after which point she was all better and I returned her to the 55 gallon again. However, during the last week or so it looks as though the popeye is coming back. Also, she looks slightly bloated to me, but she hasn't eaten hardly anything. She seems uninterested in the food and she just stays in one place in the tank for the majority of the time. Could she have internal parasites of some sort? I am at a loss.

It sounds like it may be reoccurring on this fish....

What is the temp in the main tank, and what was the temp in the QT tank? Was the ph different?....Can you get a video or photos for us?

The temperature in the QT and the main tank are both just room temperature. They are in the same room so I would assume they are both the same temperature. I will have to check the ph of both tanks and let you know on that one.. I'll try to upload some pictures in the morning. Thanks.

Alright so I forgot that the QT hasn't been running for a few weeks now so if I check the ph now it won't be the same as it was when I had the fish in there.. Still working on getting some pictures uploaded. They're coming soon

I see it. You used Medi-Gold the last time to treat right? Do you have Metro-Meds?

Having said that, a recurrence of popeye is something like a warning sign that there is something with the setup and/or maintenance that allows for these pathogenic bacteria to thrive. We can treat the symptoms, but simultaneously we need to figure out where the problem is coming from so that we can fix it. I'm going to ask some others in the group to assist with this, before they are much better than I am at spotting potentially troublesome areas. In the mean time, could you take a video or photos of your set up, including filters, and describe your maintenance routines? Thanks!

A video of your setup will definitely be helpful in figuring out what's going on :)

As Alex said will you describe for us:

- How often do you rinse your filter media/clean your filters? (when was the last time?)

- How deep is the gravel? How often do you vacuum it? Do you lift up the rocks/ornaments when you vacuum?

- Any hollow ornaments/rock?

- Any driftwood in the tank?

- How often do you change the water and how much? (I see when you first posted you were only doing 25% changes, are you doing more now?)

I can see a few things that might be causing this... In your video I can see two hollow ornaments. Can you get those out :)

Also if you can show us a photo of the whole tank. I agree something is causing this problem :(

Sure, I can take the hollow objects out. Just wondering though, why should I do this? As far as the answers to some of your other questions, I change the carbon in the filters usually once every month to two months. The gravel is about 3 inches deep and I vacuum it every time I do a water change (once every 1-2 weeks). I don't always lift up the decorations and vacuum underneath them, usually I do that every 3 water changes or so. I don't have any driftwood in the tank, and I now do 30-50% water changes instead of 25%. Hope this information helps and thank you for everything so far! :)