PLEASE HELP! Black moor goldfish with swim bladder problems

elli.olds

Koi clay is just bentonite clay, and it's a natural detoxifier of organic toxins. You can add this to the water and to the food. I do both, but koi clay is not required. You can read up on it more, and see if it's something you would like to use. Koi clay, as the name suggests, is a lot more popular with koi keepers :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its been a while! Just wanted to give you an update :). I made the gel food with your recipe and the little moor isn't having any more floaty issues. Yay!!

Thank you for all your help!! I have another question, though. I hope you don't mind.. So a few days ago I noticed that a spot on my lionhead's head was looking a bit paler than the rest of it. (He is orange and white with an all orange head) I assumed that he had probably just bumped into something and that it was a little scratch and didn't think too much more about it. However, the pale spot has just continued to grow and now it looks almost like he got some bleach spilled on his head. He doesn't act sick or anything, though, and his head doesn't look damaged at all, it just is losing its color. Is this normal? I can't figure out what could be going on... I can do a water test tomorrow if you would like to know the params as well. Thank you in advance!

It wouldn't hurt to do the tests, and to take pics or a vid :)

However, it does sound like he's just going through a color change, or a loss of color, to be precise. Goldfish are fun like that lol.

Okay, the lionhead is just fine. You're right, he's just changing colors :). However, now I have another fish issue. This morning when I went to feed the goldies, I noticed that my fantail was not looking good at all. I had been watching his right eye for a couple of days because it was looking somewhat like he was getting popeye, but it wasn't seming to get any worse and I figured I was just being paranoid again. This morning, though his right eye is substantially more swollen and underneath it looks like the skin under his eye is peeling off! His fins also look split which I did not notice at all until just now, but I think that may be from the other fish picking on him while he wasn't moving as much since he wasn't feeling well. I can't believe how quickly his situation has changed though! Just yesterday he looked completely healthy! I am going to move him into the QT asap and start treating with MG, if you think that is the right thing. As far as the peeling skin under his eye, though, is that a symptom of popeye too? I honestly have never seen anything like it before. Please help!! Also, the water parameters are:

pH - 7

KH - 40

GH - 20

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 10

Ammonia - 0

Just tested the water in the QT and yikes the nitrites are sky high. I can't figure out why, though. How can I lower them so that I can put the sick fantail in it?

No, he hasn't been treated with MG before. I gave him some yesterday, though, and I had also given him some on and off when I was unsure whether he had popeye or not. But I haven't actually treated him with the MG consistently for any period of time. I'll try my best to get some pictures. He is also a bit camera shy ;). Just so you know, he also has a swim bladder problem, but his is the exact opposite of the moor--he always sits at the bottom of the tank. He has had it for almost the entire time that I've owned him.

No, he hasn't been treated with MG before. I gave him some yesterday, though, and I had also given him some on and off when I was unsure whether he had popeye or not. But I haven't actually treated him with the MG consistently for any period of time. I'll try my best to get some pictures. He is also a bit camera shy ;). Just so you know, he also has a swim bladder problem, but his is the exact opposite of the moor--he always sits at the bottom of the tank. He has had it for almost the entire time that I've owned him.

When they become sinkers, it's inevitably an issue with the swim bladder, and probably an advanced stage of the problem. I don't think that by this point, any antibiotic will fix the issue, since at least one lobe of the SB is probably permanently deflated.

As for the MG, or any other antibiotic, my recommendation is that once you start, make sure you administer enough and take it through to completion. The reason is that if you don't, you may actually be training the bacteria in your system to be resistant to these antibiotics, rendering future treatments difficult, if not impossible. As you've now started, just go ahead and finish the 10-14 day course, ok?

Good luck, and let us know how goes.

Alright, I'll continue with the MG for the full dose. I didn't know that if could cause the bacteria to be resistant if you don't use it for the full time. Thanks for the information. I tried to get some pictures of him, but my camera just doesn't have good enough picture quality for you to be able to see what I'm talking about. From the pictures he looks totally fine. His eye doesn't seem to be puffed out today, but he still has that weird bit of skin under his eye that looks like it is going to peel off. Very strange.

The other issue is, the QT still has nitrites that are pretty high (1.5 ppm). I put salt in like you said to do before but I'm concerned about moving the fantail into a tank with high nitrites because I don't want to stress him out more. But, by the same token, I need to get him out of the tank with the other fish because he can't get any meds because the pigs eat it all before he can get to it. I don't know what to do! I did a massive water change on the QT yesterday which helped lower the nitrites a little but I still just can't get a handle on them. Ugh!

Okay, the fantail seems to be doing better. His eyes are hardly swollen at all and he has a healthy appetite for the MG. :) I'll keep you posted if anything changes. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, here is the update. The fantail with the popeye is all done with the MG and is healthy once more :). For some reason, though my moor is having floaty issues again. I have been feeding him the gel food that I made with your recipe once a day and it seemed to be helping, but now, over the last few days, he has been stuck at the top again. Not upside-down or anything, but floating at the surface. He can swim down to the bottom of the tank if he wants to, and doesn't float up extremely quickly like when he was really bad, but he is definitely floaty. Any advice?

• Admin

Okay, here is the update. The fantail with the popeye is all done with the MG and is healthy once more :). For some reason, though my moor is having floaty issues again. I have been feeding him the gel food that I made with your recipe once a day and it seemed to be helping, but now, over the last few days, he has been stuck at the top again. Not upside-down or anything, but floating at the surface. He can swim down to the bottom of the tank if he wants to, and doesn't float up extremely quickly like when he was really bad, but he is definitely floaty. Any advice?

When was the last time you fasted them.... They just might need a day or two with no food.

I do this with mine once a week :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I fasted the moor and he was all better. However, once I fed him the gel food a day or so later, he began floating again--this time much worse than before. Now I am back to square one. He is stuck floating at the top of the tank upside down and cannot get right side up no matter how hard he tries. What did I do wrong? I'm so frustrated because he was actually back to his old self and now all of the sudden he's back where he started :(.