Sign in to follow this  
elli.olds

PLEASE HELP! Black moor goldfish with swim bladder problems

Don't hate me. Will you post videos of all three? I'm having a hard time with the pics :peeka

No, its okay. Those pictures were really bad! So you mean you want videos of the moor and common goldie as well?

Yes, please, as a sort of visual update them as well :)

Wow, I just realized that I posted the wrong video of the shubie :P. I'm sorry! I'll post the right one asap

Okay, here's the link to the correct video of my shubunkin.

http://s1270.photobu...nt=100_0342.mp4

Please let me know if you think I should still continue with the MG for the common goldie and the moor. It has now been 16 days since they have been taking it.

Edited by elli.olds

I think the single tails look great, and you can stop the MG feeding to the common.

With the moor, I would like to extend the feeding to 21 days, to see if further improvements could be had. It could be that it's the best it's going to be, since we might have been a little late to the rescue.

Okay, great I'll stick with the MG for the moor and keep you updated. Should I move the common goldie back into the 55 gallon now?

Okay, the common goldie is doing great! However, the moor is being stubborn. He was letting me hand feed him easily but now this morning he has decided he doesn't want any part of it anymore. I was only able to get one MG pellet in him this morning. I just tried again and he still refused. What am I doing wrong? I don't understand why he is acting like this! I thought maybe it was because he was lonely in the QT all by himself so I even tried moving him back into the 55 gallon and hand feeding him there but he still won't take it. Help!!

Have you noticed any poop from the moor? Constipated and unwell fish will usually avoid food.

Yes I saw him poop at least 3 times this morning. The only thing I can think of that I have done differently in the last few days is that I fed him a few peas yesterday, which I thought would be a good thing for him. I'm so confused!

Edited by elli.olds

Feeding him peas is fine, and will keep him regular. Try giving him some peas again to see if he will eat that.

He's eating the peas!!!! Maybe he's just tired of the MG? I was thinking about making him some gel food and putting some probiotics in it since he's been on the MG for a while now. I heard that you can make gel food for goldfish out of baby food and unflavored gelatin. Does this sound okay to you? Or do you recommend a different 'recipe'?

There are two links with recipes in my signature. I use agar but you can substitute gelatin there :)

Oh, okay. I've never heard of agar before. What is it? And is it better for the fish than gelatin? Also, after I have fed the moor some of the gel food should I try giving him more MG? Oh, and how much probiotic should I put in the food? I have capsules that contain 0.5 gram acidophilus per capsule.

Edited by elli.olds

"agar" is better on the goldfish system. Its made out of plant material and not bones. :(

Agar can be bought at Whole Foods, or if you are somewhere where there are Asian grocery stores, you can get them there for more cheaply :)

Alright, here is my update. So far the common goldie and the moor are both doing great!! The common is happy and healthy with no more signs of popeye, and the moor is just doing fantastic! While he does still occasionally get a bit "floaty," for the majority of the time he is back to his old self! He can swim about normally and has no problems. However, I now have a question about a fish in a different tank. I also have a 20 gallon tank with three goldies in it. There is one red cap oranda, one calico fantail, and one moor. The tank has been up and running for about 3 months now. All three fish are 1 inch and have been doing great until recently. Lately, an hour or so after I feed them, the moor will just float upside down at the top of the tank. I always soak their flake food in tank water so it will sink before feeding, and I even tried switching to a slow-sinking pellet food instead. However, he still gets all floaty every time after I feed them. When I have tried giving them peas, a few hours later the little moor will be just fine again. But once I switch back to their regular food, up he goes :(. Here are the water parameters for the 20 gallon:

pH - 7.2

KH - 30

GH - 25

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 10

Ammonia - 0.

I really am stumped on this one. I feel so bad for the little guy but I just am not sure what to do!

Hello :)

First, I would like to say :Congrats: for the excellent and patient efforts you made on behalf your fish. I'm so happy that are doing well! :thumbs:

As for your question regarding the moor in the 20g, this sounds like he is: a) not able to handle that much food at one sitting and needs to be fed less, or b) he is developing an "allergy" to the fillers in processed food. I think the second possibility is most likely. The best solution to this is just to go ahead and ditch commercial processed foods altogether and make gel food. There are a couple of links in my signature on this that you might like to read up on. Making gel food is actually fun. I had/have a couple of floaters, and the gel food eliminates this problem :)

Thank you!! I couldn't have done it without this awesome forum and your amazing help!

Okay, I looked at the recipes and they seem easy enough so I will definitely give it a try. I hope it helps him! Also, I noticed that in some of the recipes you mentioned "koi clay." What exactly is that, and where can I find it?