PLEASE HELP! Black moor goldfish with swim bladder problems

elli.olds

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you could do twice a week 75% that would be great. However, the main thing is to ensure ammonia & nitrites are zero. The presence of these toxins will impede recovery.

Yes the rule with QT tanks tends to be big water changes as often as you can, especially if you are seeing either ammonia or nitrite. Let us know how the feeding goes, if they don't soon start getting more food in them I think external meds will need to be added to the water.

Okay, I'll do that. 75% twice weekly in their 12 gallon QT shouldn't be a problem at all. This morning I saw the common goldie eating some pellets! And the two that were left on the bottom last night were gone this morning too! yay!! She seems to be acting better today and the moor was able to stay upright in the water for a few seconds on his own as well!

Alright, slowly but surely the fish seem to be improving. However today when I was vacuuming the gravel the common goldfish started rubbing against the side of the tank and swimming wildly and then accidentally jumped out altogether! I quickly put her back in and so far she seems okay. Fortunately the tank is sitting on the floor so she didn't fall very far. I tested the water again today after doing a 75% WC yesterday and a small one today and these were the results:

pH - 6.8

KH - 40

GH - 25

Nitrite - 0.25

Nitrate - 0

Ammonia - 0.

I'm guessing she's still rubbing because of the nitrite that's still in there. I added some baking soda to help raise the pH, (not sure why its low again..) but I can't figure out why there is still some nitrite in the tank after the huge WC yesterday. Any ideas? Should I do another big WC?

I think there is a bit of a bump in the cycle. Adding some baking soda is a great idea. I also would like for you to dissolve and add 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons aquarium salt to the tank. This will help to block the toxic nitrite effects. We can do this because there is no ammonia in the tank :)

Slow and steady improvements are the best kind!

Did another small WC this morning, added the salt and checked the water parameters and here are the results:

pH - 7.2

KH - 40

GH - 25

Nitrite - 1.0

Nitrate - 10

Ammonia - 0

What am I going to do to get rid of the nitrite?!

Right now, there isn't much to do other than daily water changes and th little bit of salt (see above) to either reduce nitrite levels or to blunt its effects. For some reason, there seems to be a snag at the second step, going from nitrite to nitrate.

Do you know the kH (carbonate hardness) of your tank & tap water?

It's OK. The reason I ask is that carbonates, whose concentrations are given by the kH reading, is necessary for the nitrogen-fixing bacteria to do their job, by being a source of carbon. When it's really low, the oxidation of ammonia/nitrite into nitrite/nitrate is impeded.

Try adding 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of baking soda to the water. This should help to fix the problem.

Make sure to check your kH often, and it it gets low, add more baking soda.

How are the fish doing tonight?

So far the fish seem to be doing about the same. The moor is still stuck at the top but he barely sticks out of the water at all anymore and he is trying each day to swim normally again. I can see that he wants to get better. The common goldie is eating a bit more each day, so I am encouraged by that as well :). I just finished a 75% WT and checked the water parameters and here are the results:

pH - 7.0

KH - 20

GH - 20

Nitrite - 0.5 (ugh!)

Nitrate - 0

Ammonia - 0.

I've been adding conditioning salt when I do WCs and I'll add some baking soda right now. Looks like I'll also be running to the store for a buffering product to help with the KH. Other than that, any other suggestions? The common goldfish still runs into the wall and gravel periodically and now she has a little scratch on the top of her head from doing so :(. Its nothing serious, just a small surface scrape. Is there anything I should add to help that heal though?

P.S. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys :oops:

Edited by elli.olds

Since you are already feeding them Medi-Gold, the scrape should be fine. The only thing to do is frequent water changes. :)

How many days has it been since they've been on MG? I'm glad to hear they are improving, however slowly.

What is conditioning salt?

They have been on the MG for 8 days (today being the 9th). The conditioning salt is just regular aquarium salt. I just called it that because that's what it says on the container :).

LOL, Ok. The conditioning salt is a good idea for now, since you have some nitrites.

Remind me to discuss with you about whether to continue Medi-Gold past Day 14 or not on day 13. I suspect we will have to do so, since they haven't been eating as much until a few days after MG has been started.

For now, feed them as much as they can eat :)

All right, so I've been continuing to fill up the common goldie and the moor. The common goldie's eyes are almost back to normal and the moor is still improving slightly each day. But now it looks like my shubunkin in my 55 gallon is getting popeye too! I can't be sure if she really has it or if I'm just being paranoid though. Is it normal for their eyes to stick out ever so slightly?

Alright, I got some pics of the shubunkin but I have to leave again. This has been and is going to be a crazy weekend :P. So far the shubunkin seems to be acting okay. Her eyes aren't any more puffy and she still has a healthy appetite and swims around energetically. I will still post the pictures but it will probably not be until later tonight. Sorry!!

Okay here are the pics of the shubie. Sorry they aren't that great of quality.. She is really hard to get a good picture of anyways since she's camera shy :P and I don't have the greatest camera either. Let me know what you think! Also, how much longer do you think I can keep the moor and the common goldie on the MG? It has been 2 weeks now. 100_0327.jpg100_0326.jpg100_0315.jpg100_0314.jpg100_0311.jpg