Sign in to follow this  
elli.olds

PLEASE HELP! Black moor goldfish with swim bladder problems

I just found this thread and am Happy to see your in Alex's capable hands ;) Your Moor is adorable :) as is your common ;) I hope they both get better asap :)

Oh yes, Alex has been very helpful! And thank you! They are both such sweet fish I hope they pull through this. I have been able to hand feed the medigold to the moor fairly easily, however the common goldie doesn't seem to be too interested. She only ate one of the pellets and the other few that I dropped in have just sat on the bottom of the tank all day :/. I'm not really sure what to do to encourage her to eat. Ever since the popeye started she hasn't had much of an appetite. She would pick little bits of things off the gravel but she never came up to the surface to feed like she used to. Any advice?

Could you try to hand feed her, too? If not, you may need to force feed the meds to her.

I have tried to hand feed her but she is pretty timid and swims away from my hand when I try to give it to her. I've never had to force feed a fish before.. how would I go about that? Do you think she isn't eating because she does't feel well?

I have tried to hand feed her but she is pretty timid and swims away from my hand when I try to give it to her. I've never had to force feed a fish before.. how would I go about that? Do you think she isn't eating because she does't feel well?

Can you catch her in a small tub and drop the food in with her? That way she might be more inclined to notice and eat it, and it's less stressful than hand feeding.

Also about weighing the fish. If you have a food scale, you can put the fish in a tub of water and weigh the whole thing (fish, tub, water). Then gently lift the fish back into the tank and weigh the tub and water. Subtract that from the first weight and you have your fish weight :)

Here's a video of stakos feeding her fish with a syringe. I'm thinking that you can mush up some Medi-Gold with tank water, and try to feed her this way...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gwTpEiMkZRU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Okay, I guess I can try both ideas and see what works. Hopefully she will just eat the medicine on her own. I would hate to have to force it down. Although the video that you posted made it look pretty easy and the fish didn't seem to mind. I'm not sure if I have a scale that would work to weigh the fish but I'll look and see. That's a great idea on how to do it though, Chrissy. Thanks! So far the moor is loving the medi-gold. Every time I offer it to him he gets excited and gobbles it up :). I wish that the common goldie would be as enthusiastic.

Okay, looks like I will be needing to get a syringe. The common goldie is still being stubborn about eating and the moor has now started spitting out half of the pellets that I feed him :P. Where could I find a syringe small enough to feed them like the one in the video?

I get mine at the Wm pharmacy, for free.

My apologies for trying to type a short cut. I meant Walmart pharmacy, or any pharmacy really :)

Oh that's all right. I actually found one and tried to feed the fish like the video showed but both fish ended up spitting out what I put into their mouths seconds later. So basically all I succeeded in doing was making the tank dirtier and having to do another water change. Ugh. This is frustrating. I want to help these fish but I don't know what else to do!! I definitely haven't been able to get each fish 5-6 pellets 3 times a day like you said. If I am lucky each fish will actually eat 4-5 pellets total over the course of one day and usually its less :(. Is there anything else I can try? Like maybe a treatment that you put in the water instead? Maybe some maracyn 2?

Is the moor still really floaty?

Yes, sadly. I mean, he does seem to stick up out of the water a little less, but he is still at the top on his side.

Do you have Maracyn 2 on hand? It may be that we have to resort to this, if they are not eating. I've filed a report with the mod team, to get more opinions and suggestions.

The reason why I am a bit hesitant with the Maracyn 2 right now is this:

1. The maracyn will likely kill your tanks cycle. So, if you treat, we'll have to devise a way to preserve the cycle. It's very do-able, but something that needs to be done.

2. I don't know how well maracyn 2 will work for the floatiness. Given that she's been floaty for a while, it may be difficult to be able to correct this issue :(

No, I don't have any on hand but I can get some at my local petstore. When I came home this evening the few pellets that were left on the bottom of the tank from earlier were gone so I assume that the common goldfish ate them which is somewhat encouraging. Also, the black moor ate 2 pellets tonight and so far hasn't spit them out yet so I'm crossing my fingers. Thank you for all the effort you are putting in to help me help my fish. I really do appreciate it :)

Keep trying with the pellets. That is really the best way. :)

Good luck! I'm so glad to hear that they are eating a little bit! :)

Do you think they'll be okay only eating that little bit though? I don't want them to get malnourished :(

No and you want to be sure they're getting enough medication for sure. How are things going? Have you been trying the syringe still?

Unfortunately I gave up on the syringe because neither fish would keep down what I gave them. Its going okay, but I don't know that either fish is really getting enough of the medication. Also, this morning I went in to give them some more meds and i noticed the common goldfish rubbing against the gravel and sides of the tank. I know this isn't good, but I'm not sure what it means and if I need to resort to a different type of treatment. Her eyes are still somewhat puffy but less than they were to begin with so I think that the little bit of medicine she has eaten has helped a little bit. The moor is still floating but when he does try to swim down into the water he doesn't seem to have to try as hard and he doesn't float up as quickly so I think that the medicine he has gotten has helped him a bit too.

As Chrissy said, they will have to eat a certain amount of meds daily. So, keep trying. I suspect that as the meds help to make them feel better, they will be able to eat more and more, to the amount that this is needed. What this means is that we can't stop the medicated food after 14 days, but may need to extend it out a little bit longer, although with MG not much longer after that.

The rubbing is a sign that something is irritating him or her. Could you please post water parameters of your tank? Thanks :)

I am glad to hear to these improvements. It's very hopeful :)

A bit of garlic juice on the food may help...my fish never turn down something with garlic juice on it (just squish some of the juice out of a clvoe of garlic).

Sorry it has taken me this long to get back to you! Its been a crazy day. So the water parameters are:

pH - 7.2

KH - 40

GH - 25

Nitrite - 0.25

Nitrate - 10

Ammonia - 0.

I'll have to try the garlic juice! I had never heard of that before but I am anxious to try it. Hope it works! I'll let you guys know!

Edited by elli.olds

When are you do for a WC? I would do one ASAP given that you have a bit of nitrite there.

Good luck with the garlic :)