Sign in to follow this  
elli.olds

PLEASE HELP! Black moor goldfish with swim bladder problems

All right I will try the baking soda and then I'll check the water when I get back from the petstore. Thank you all so much for your help. This is seriously the best website ever. I have tried making accounts on other online aquarium forums, but this one is, by far, the best. Everyone is so kind and helpful here! I genuinely feel cared about. :)

Chrissy, I actually think you ARE addressing the fish's issues by addressing water quality :)

Another good buffer to use is Seachem's Gold Buffer, or the Alkaline Buffer

Yes :) , I just know that sometimes new members get frustrated when they have a problem (like pop eye or SBD) and all we seem to talk about is water. But that is always the primary concern for sure! I just wanted to make sure that was understood and that the other problems haven't been forgotten.

Hello again everyone!

I added one teaspoon of baking soda this morning and just now did a water test using my new kit. Here are the numbers:

KH - 40

GH - 25

pH- 6.8

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 10

Ammonia - 0.

I also bought some of Seachem's Neutral Regulator to use as a buffer (unfortunately I couldn't find any of the specific products that you guys recommended). Has anyone heard of or used this before? Is this the right stuff? I haven't used any yet and thought I should check to make sure.

Edited by elli.olds

I haven't used that stuff before. I just googled it. It seems fine, the only thing is it puts your pH at neutral (7.0) and really for goldfish it would be better if it was higher. However, 7.0 is much better than 6.0! And if it is stabilized, that's even better too. Maybe eventually you could switch to another buffer that doesn't necessarily keep the water at neutral.

Your readings after the baking soda are much better! Be sure to keep an eye on it because the baking soda is temporary....or add the buffer now, I imagine that will last longer.

How are the fish?

I'm amazed at how well the baking soda worked!! How cool! I never would have guessed. Oh, I was going to ask, though, what exactly are good readings as far as nitrates and nitrites? I'm still a bit unsure and when I tried to google it I couldn't find much info.. Okay, I didn't know that goldfish preferred a higher pH than 7.0 so I'll look for a different buffer product and add that instead. I'm glad I asked! So now though, I'm still back to the original issues that the fish are having. I know that one person here recommended I try a medicated food for the fish with sbd. I'm not really sure what kind to get though. Also, as far as the fish with popeye, she still seems to be acting fine. She is eating and swimming around all the time and her dorsal fin is erect. However, both her eyes are quite puffed out now. Would the medicated food help her problem too? Is there a different medication more specific for popeye? Or is there a different treatment method than medications altogether?

Edited by elli.olds

Could you please order a medicated food called Medi-Gold from goldfishconnection.com? This should treat both of your problems at once. You may also want to order a food called Jumpstart. This is not medicated food, but rather probiotic food, which is great to feed after a course of antibiotics. :)

And as for nitrites and nitrates....you want the nitrites to be 0. The nitrates ideally should stay below 15 or 20, anything higher and they can cause trouble. The ammonia and nitrites are removed by bacteria in cycled filters, but nitrates are the end product of the cycle and can only be removed by water changes or plants. This may help :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3

Also, if you order the food Alex suggested, you can also "buff it up" from the same place. I've used it for years and have had nothing but great results.

Alright, I ordered the stuff you guys recommended from goldfishconnection.com (I had never heard of it before but wow! what a great site!). This morning the fish with popeye still seems to be doing okay, however she is staying near the bottom of the tank pretty much all the time (she's not actually sitting on the bottom, just staying in the lower level of the tank). Her dorsal fin is still straight up, but she didn't come up to eat when I put the food in like she and all the other fish usually do. Instead, she just stayed near the bottom and picked at the rocks. She doesn't seem to be quite feeling herself. Both her eyes are still pretty puffy, although now her right seems to be a bit more puffed than her left. I was wondering if maybe, until the medication gets here, treating her with some epsom salt might not be a bad idea? I was thinking maybe an epsom salt dip instead of treating the whole tank since I wasn't sure if that would be a good idea for the fish with sbd. Let me know. Thanks!

Hello. Thanks for the update. I'm glad you ordered the food. Would you please do this:

1. check your tank parameter again. Among other things, I would like to see if the pH is holding or whether you'll need to add more baking soda.

2. could you take some pics of both affected fish?

3. Would it be possible for you to set up a QT? Once we have this up, we could isolate both affected fish and treat them as needed.

Alright. The test results from this morning were:

pH - 6.8

KH - 20

GH - 25

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 10.

I did actually take some pictures and posted them a few days ago. I think they are on the first page of this topic. Do you want new ones? The pictures I posted before are very accurate for how the fish look right now. Unfortunately the only extra tanks I have right now are 30 gallons each which I don't really have room to set up anywhere so I am kind of stuck as far as setting up a QT.

Great. Thanks.

Could you get a 10gallon Sterilite tub from Walmart to set up as QT? The issue is that once you start feeding medicated food, it should only be fed to the sick fish and not the rest...

Oh, I see. Yeah I don't see why not! I hadn't even thought of that. I'll try to pick one up and get it set up asap. Should i take some of the sponge from one of the filters in my 50 gallon tank and put it in the filter in the QT to bring over some of the good bactieria? Also, are you sure that it won't stress the sick fish out too much to move them?

Oh, I see. Yeah I don't see why not! I hadn't even thought of that. I'll try to pick one up and get it set up asap. Should i take some of the sponge from one of the filters in my 50 gallon tank and put it in the filter in the QT to bring over some of the good bactieria? Also, are you sure that it won't stress the sick fish out too much to move them?

They will be fine to move and will need to be moved for treatment. Plus, it's not good to leave fish with obvious infections in with healthy fish, since we risk passing on the infection to them as well.

Stealing a bit of media from the 55 to seed the QT is :thumb:

Okay that definitely makes sense. I found that I already had a clear 12 gallon rubbermaid tub that I could use so I am in the process of setting it up now. Should I fill it with the water from the 55 gallon tank or get new water altogether? Or maybe a mix of half of each of those? Also, do you think I should move the sick fish into it before the medication gets here or should I wait a little while?

I would use all new water, since there is little benefit to using the old tank water. You can wait until the temp of the main tank and QT are the same before transferring :)

Also, please be sure to check the QT pH and add baking soda, if necessary, before moving the fish over.

Edited by dnalex

Sounds good to me. I hadn't thought of checking the pH, so I'll be sure to do that and add baking soda and/or the buffering product if needed. I'll keep you guys posted and let you know if I have any more questions. Thanks! :)

Oh, I forgot. Do you think the epsom salt is a good idea for the fish with popeye? And, if so, what is the proper salt to water ratio? I searched it on google and came up with varying results. Some said 1/8 teaspoon salt per 5 gallons of water, others said 1 full teaspoon salt per 1 gallon of water, so I'm a little confused..

The Epsom can help with the popeye a little bit, because it can help to draw out the excess fluid, BUT it is not a permanent solution, since the underlying infection is still there. Usually I would suggest one day of Epsom and the gradual increase of sodium chloride salt to 0.3%. However, since you have Medi-Gold coming, I would wait for that. Have you gotten notice that it has shipped?

Alright I'll hold off on the salt for now. I received an email yesterday saying that my order had shipped. What has been your experience with goldfishconnection's shipping speed?

I usually get them 2-3 days after they ship. They are super good about this :)

Okay cool! Thanks! I'll keep you posted and let you know if I have any more questions :)

Medication arrived today!! I haven't given it to the fish yet though, because I had a quick question. Do I need to soak the medi-gold in water before feeding it to the fish? I know that you are supposed to do that with some food and since there aren't any directions on the package I wasn't sure.

No, no soaking necessary! Yay for the food being there!

Do you know how heavy the fish are? Is it possible to weigh them? If not, how big are they, excluding tail?

Would you please check your parameters and post? They are in QT, yes? How is the moor?

I don't really have the capabilities to weigh the fish, but the regular goldfish (the one with popeye) is 4 inches without her tail and the black moor is 3 inches without his tail. I just tested the water and here are the results:

pH - 7.0

KH - 40

GH - 25

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 10

Ammonia - 0

The moor is still acting the same. He is swimming around despite the fact that he is upside down and he still has a healthy appetite and eats. So how much of the medigold should I give each fish? Since they are sinking pellets I will probably have to hand feed the moor..

If you can hand feed the moor, that's even better! I would like for them to get about 5-6 pellets each per meal, and 3 meals/day.

Keep us updated :)

You don't need to soak the pellets to feed.