Hornwort?

Aluyasha

I have been considering giving my fancy goldfish live plants. They are 1 Bubble eye and 1 Celestial Eye so I thought live plants would be nice and gentle on their eyes and of course help make water quality better. :)

My LFS sells a plant called Hornwort. I was just wondering if they are good plants for goldfish tanks and how to care for them?

I have normal tank lighting. I do have some plant drop stuff though (a bottle called "FloraPride" by Tetra).

Any info is helpful! :)

Edited by Aluyasha

It's a pretty plant, but I don't think it's a good one for a goldfish tank. The plant tends to shed a lot, and I think the fish would enjoy picking at it, which would make it shed even more. I think it would be destroyed in a matter of days. But that is just my guess, you can always try it and see how it goes.

Hornwort is super easy to grow, and it grows quickly. It's not a rooted plant, so it will want to float. If you want it to stay down, you will have to use a weight or pin one end under something. I often stick the end under a rock and let it grow to the top.

I don't have a shedding problem, but I break off the old end of the plant regularly. It sheds when it gets old. It's like a constantly growing rope, and you can pinch off a piece wherever, and it will start growing too.

Also, the fish don't pick at this plant. They might pick at algae or anything stuck to the plant, but the plant itself is not a snack. ;)

Edited by ShawneeRiver

hornwort is relatively easy to grow.. but have had MORE success with moderate light.. NOT low light... also i saw a GREAT improvement in growth as mine was planted and i do have co2 and high quality ferts...as opposed to before the co2 and ferts..... but this plant should also do fine floating.. if you decide to bury it into the gravel.. in time it will be held down by rhizoids which are kinda like roots.! :D good luck! :D

Hornwort is the original goldfish plant. It has been kept with goldfish from the beginning.

If there is a plant in a Chinese or Japanese goldfish painting it is most likely hornwort.

It is the ideal natural spawning media.

If its not happy it can shed and clog thugs but if you keep it growing well it will thrive.