Grooming my black Chinese ranchus update.

Lionchu

Wow, nice work! Do your blacks lose their colors?

These are Chinese breeds, they are more resilient to loose their black color if kept in good water conditions.So far so good considered they have not see sunlight since I got them.

beautiful results!.. congratulations Jeff :heart

Thanks, Helen.

WOW very nice... :o

Thanks, Koko.

They are gorgeous! One of those would look very good in my tank ;)

Only one???

oh my gosh what great looking little fat wrigglers ;) gotta luv them ranchus :)

Ranchus are the best..lol

I love them! So fat and cute. :heart

Dumb question, though, what do you mean "grooming"?

That's the term hobbyists use when they want to pump up their fish quickly and to their intended shape. 5-10x small feedings per day are the norm, with more w/cs than usual.

Such cute little chubbies!

Thanks, Jaime.

• 1 year later...

It's been a while since I last update them. They are still the same original 4 ranchus.

Taken in Nov 2012 (pay attention to that one changing color)

Taken in Aug 2013 (my apologies for not cleaning the front glass first...lol)

Amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

They've literally tripled in size! thats absolutely amazing :o I also think its pretty cute how theres always 3 at the bottom than theres that one little fellow up top doing his own thing, heheh

Thanks all for your kind comments. These are all females, fully loaded with eggs waiting to explode anytime (last days of winter now) you may have notice their swimming are a bit awkward.

Tank size is 150L (@water mark), Filter with power head 1000L/hr hidden in a partitioned filtration system with canna aqua clay pebbles (bottom layer), Jap mat, coarse and fine sponge (top)

w/c is 80-100% weekly (inclusive in winters) when doing 100%, I catch them out and put them into 160L tub (with overnight aged conditioned water) with aeration (just airstone) while I thoroughly clean the inside tank plus filter materials. Fill up water direct from tap, add conditioner, equalized temps (within 1 C) to 160L tub and return fish.

Feeding: Always according to water temps. In general....below 10 deg C..., no feeding, 11-15 deg C... 2x, 16 deg C to 30 Deg C....up to 8x per day. Then towards the higher the temps, reduce feed or not feed at all once above 35C. (otherwise they'll likely to float, gulp, fall sick or even face death)

First 2 vids during development stage, they were kept indoors fed 3x per day in winter, summer 8x per day in small quantities that they can finish in 1-2 mins.

Last two vids, as they grow bigger I reduce their feeding to zero to 3x per day, sometimes I just drop pellets thru' a pepper mill to avoid overfeeding and make them move about and eat the carpet algae (like what you see in the last vid) This is important because at this stage they are very delicate, esp theses black ones and they should not be mixed with normal ranchus. I've tried many times before and all ended badly.I hope that helps.

Lastly tank size is 30" (L) x 24" (W) x 15" (H)...water level is 14 inches.

Edited by RanchuJeff

Thanks all for your kind comments. These are all females, fully loaded with eggs waiting to explode anytime (last days of winter now) you may have notice their swimming are a bit awkward.

Tank size is 150L (@water mark), Filter with power head 1000L/hr hidden in a partitioned filtration system with canna aqua clay pebbles (bottom layer), Jap mat, coarse and fine sponge (top)

w/c is 80-100% weekly (inclusive in winters) when doing 100%, I catch them out and put them into 160L tub (with overnight aged conditioned water) with aeration (just airstone) while I thoroughly clean the inside tank plus filter materials. Fill up water direct from tap, add conditioner, equalized temps (within 1 C) to 160L tub and return fish.

Feeding: Always according to water temps. In general....below 10 deg C..., no feeding, 11-15 deg C... 2x, 16 deg C to 30 Deg C....up to 8x per day. Then towards the higher the temps, reduce feed or not feed at all once above 35C. (otherwise they'll likely to float, gulp, fall sick or even face death)

First 2 vids during development stage, they were kept indoors fed 3x per day in winter, summer 8x per day in small quantities that they can finish in 1-2 mins.

Last two vids, as they grow bigger I reduce their feeding to zero to 3x per day, sometimes I just drop pellets thru' a pepper mill to avoid overfeeding and make them move about and eat the carpet algae (like what you see in the last vid) This is important because at this stage they are very delicate, esp theses black ones and they should not be mixed with normal ranchus. I've tried many times before and all ended badly.I hope that helps.

Lastly tank size is 30" (L) x 24" (W) x 15" (H)...water level is 14 inches.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you feed them?(other than pellets) Edited by Goldfish guy

wow great job With them.

Thanks, Katt.

You always do such a wonderful job grooming your fish :heart

Do you think they'll give you a descent spawning this spring?

Thanks, Bodoba. I think I should be able to get lots of fry here but then I don't really want to keep more black ranchus as they will require another separate container