Sign in to follow this  
claire_uk

Filters and too much flow?

ok so after looking online for how much a replacement on/off tap for the Tetra Tec external is going to be, I cant afford it til pay day, which is very annoying as it is my main filter with a ton of good BBs, but I have my other external that is also full of it so hoping it will do its job along with the water changes and plants. I am contacting Tetra today to explain the situation and to see if they will ship the part as it was caused by a known problem.

So I added the smaller internal on Sunday, but I knew it wouldnt be able to keep up with the goldies pooping! ( I was hoping that the replacement part was only going to be a few £, it is about £20 including postage)

I had a re think with my larger internal, it is the Fluval 4 plus, (1000lph) and I used to use it fine on this tank and also my larger one. This time it seems to pumping more, I dont know maybe it is me being paranoid as I usually have a spray bar on one filter to lessen the flow around the tank for the goldies.

They can swim up the tank fine, even Zippy who is still quite small, but it is pushing the loose plants around a lot more, and they do have to swim more against it. Will try and get a video, as I said it is prob just me being paranoid as Im not used to seeing it flow so much anymore.

They dont seem to be stressed at all, and the loachs are coming out more.

It is turned right down. It is strange that this filter seems to be causing more tank disturbance that what I have noticed in the past. Tiny seems to have worked out the quiet areas now, in front of and next to the internal, think it was just a shock for him as he is the biggest. Zippy has found a few hiding spots in the plants. The BNs decided the filter needed cleaning, even though they have yet to clean all the glass! lol.

Hopefully it will be fine for the next week til pay day and I can order the on/off tap!