Sign in to follow this  
Smurfishy

Growing goldfish

I was wondering about the progress over time that they grow. Some peoples grow so fast in such a short period of time. I have also heard that the the runts of the frys tend to be small adults. There is also stunting to take into consideration. What about those people who kept theirs in small or cramped conditions. Do they start growing when put into a bigger tank more appropriate tank say if they are a year or more? Is there an age that they stop growing?

one of mine was kept in cramped conditions for nearly 3 years, but since upgrading and with smaller, more regular feedings, he has shown some growth. not as significantly as the juveniles mind, but definitely bigger than he used to be (in a 3 gallon!). I think growth ultimately depends on the fish - even in the best conditions, some may not grow particularly fast or big, and it works the other way as well - in crappy conditions, some still grow pretty big, as exemplified when looking at some ads for goldfish "outgrowing their tanks". I've seen a goldfish that looked about 9 inches (not even including tail) in a 2ft tank.

You will find little but opinions on this matter. I have searched a lot of scientific papers, and the data just isn't there. It does appear that under constant growing conditions, goldfish reach half their ultimate length between 1 1/2 and 2 years of age. Growth slows every year, and fish over 5 years old grow very slowly if at all. I have observed a fish who had a huge growth spurt after a year of age, and she didn't have any significant environmental change during this time.

There is data that says young fish (up to feeder size) grow faster when less crowded, but in those experiments "less crowded" was still measured in fish per gallon. At the other extreme, the classic experiment on growth rate of goldfish and stocking levels dates from the 1930s and the most crowded conditions were one goldfish in more than 100 gallons, if I recall correctly. In between -- the stocking levels at which most pet goldfish are kept -- I haven't found reliable data.

Within one spawn, with all the fry raised under the same conditions, the larger yearlings can easily be twice as long as the smallest. Some people believe that if you remove the largest ones, the others will grow faster. When I took out my biggest baby and put her in with adult fish, she grew even faster, but I noticed little change in the growth of her sibs.

You will find little but opinions on this matter. I have searched a lot of scientific papers, and the data just isn't there. It does appear that under constant growing conditions, goldfish reach half their ultimate length between 1 1/2 and 2 years of age. Growth slows every year, and fish over 5 years old grow very slowly if at all. I have observed a fish who had a huge growth spurt after a year of age, and she didn't have any significant environmental change during this time.

I totally agree. I have several goldfish that I've had since they were still fry green or not long after, and for months I thought they somehow were stunted, but more recently they started to grow, and very well :)

Edited by dnalex

I personally think its Genetics again. Also water quality and foods. All three play a part in how fast or big they grow. So its going to very alot :(

I personally think its Genetics again. Also water quality and foods. All three play a part in how fast or big they grow. So its going to very alot :(

I agree, def has something to do with genetics. Ive had fish bought as babies and they have grown a lot, others have not. I have bought fish at about 6 months of age and they have hardly grown. all had same conditions and feed. Tiny Tim is the exception, he just keeps growing! lol. When he lived on his own for a while he grew a lot.

Goldfish Varieties and Genetics by Joseph Smartt is really interesting, but an expensive book.

One of my original three Petsmart fish has not grown, or if she has, it's minimal. She's been in the same conditions as the other two fish, and I watch her eat -- she's definitely not being left out. I have no reason to think that she is stunted, so I assume it's genetics. It's kind of interesting because we got them from the same source at the same time. One grew a lot and quickly, and the other has grow a lot, but much more slowly. :idont