Sign in to follow this  
kukana d

Some kind of cyst?

• 0* Ammonia Level
  • 0* Nitrite Level
  • 20* Nitrate level
  • 7.4* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • API drops* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • 76** Water temperature?
  • 36g/2 years* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • Emperor 400* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • usually 60%/wk(missed last week w/ other fish being sick) * How often do you change the water and how much?

10* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

• 2 6" ryus* How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • Prime* What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • Started all fish on MM 5 days ago.Usually get Saki Hikari purple* What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • no* Any new fish added to the tank?
  • No* Any medications added to the tank?
  • Tried salt-2 weeks,then Melafix-2 weeks-no change* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • no* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, No,swims normal-very strong,good appetite* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
    • frayed fins or fungus?

[*]

This guy has had this spot for going on 3 mos. It presented as a cyst-like spot pushing up the scale. I treated w.

/ salt,then melafix-no change. It has gotten bigger after a missed w/c last week while I battled ich in other tanks. Any ideas? I have various anti-biotics,if need be. he is on MM right now-I put all fish on it after the ich problem.

20120318_7769.jpg?t=1332114850

20120318_7774.jpg?t=1332114779

20120318_7773.jpg?t=1332114794

Edited by kukana

I think it looks viral. The best thing to do in my opinion would be increased water changes. If it is viral, antibiotics won't help.

If you can..... Feel it gently. I would like to know if its hard or more soft.... Dont squeeze hun just a gentle feel :thumb:

Koko,I will feel it tomorrow-I promise! :)

Anything hun?

I think it looks viral. The best thing to do in my opinion would be increased water changes. If it is viral, antibiotics won't help.

Why do you think it's viral?

Is it growing? As in expanding upwards and outwards?

Any ulcer history in this tank?

It does look a bit viral but viral poxy growths are pinkish often -this looks a deeply blooded red.

Is your pH stable? Lots of oxygen? Updates please hun.

Is it growing? As in expanding upwards and outwards?

Any ulcer history in this tank?

It does look a bit viral but viral poxy growths are pinkish often -this looks a deeply blooded red.

Is your pH stable? Lots of oxygen? Updates please hun.

And thats what has confused me... There is veins in it too. This is why i wanted to know if it was hard or soft... Tumor ?? dont know. :(

No ulcers in this tank. Here are some pics I took close up when I caught him to feel it. It is VERY soft,almost mushy and jelly-like. I almost had the feeling I could remove most of it w/ a q-tip. The white part almost dissolved when I touched it.

20120322_7857.jpg?t=1332473912

20120322_7860.jpg?t=1332473896

20120322_7861.jpg?t=1332473891

I just discovered that their bio wheels have not been turning-and the params were am-.25,ni- not bright blue(0)-darker blue-not purple(.25) na-20. The Ph was EXTREMELY LOW-like 6!!!!!!!!! (I have been extremely busy w/ other fish matters-and these guys did not get a w/c last week). I just did a 60% w/c on them now-they look VERY happy.

Imo,I would have to say that in the past 2 mos it's maybe gotten a tad larger-nothing drastic. It has never looked like an ulcer.At 1st I thought maybe he had just swiped an airstone-that's why I tried salt. I said earlier I had tried melafix-but I actually HAVE NOT used melafix on him-sorry for the mistake.

I am also uploading a vid-not very good-trying to hold a BIG fish at the right angle w/ 1 hand,and trying to take the vid AND focus w/ the other! All of it while standing at the top of a ladder :yeah: I will post it soon.

I had a fish that developed something that looked like that. He eventually developed two huge ones and they never seemed to bother him.

On the right, when it had first started. The other developed on her wen on the other side.

todaysfishypics008.jpg

His were soft as well, they felt similar to Bjorn's nostril puffs. I think that it had been determined (on here actually) that it was a tumor.

Here is the thread to it, maybe it'll be helpful :) A lot of the pics have been deleted, sorry about that.

Edit: I forgot Stardew was a he and had to change the 'shes' to 'hes' (his name always makes me think girl even though I know better)

Also I, personally, wouldn't try to pop it. That was a bad experience for me but let's wait on some more input :)

Edited by Ashley

That last photo, I can see veins going down around the mass and into the fish...

Trinket Im suspecting maybe a tumor. What do you think ?

I see this occasionally and generally chalk it up to an injury. I think it's an infected scale and scale pocket. I take my thumb nail and from head to tail apply pressure to scrape out any necrotic tissue and or puss. Then I swab with hydrogen peroxide or Potassium permanganate to cauterize. Bio bandage is useful but I find it often slips off to be useful.

In most cases for me it clears up very quickly. Pristine water helps and if it lingers a bit of antibiotic food, bath or injection will help.

Best fishes

David

www....................com

I forgot to mention that this tank has been getting MM food for about 10 days- I was dealing w/ ich that came in on some new fish,and at 1 point thought I had maybe used the same python-so the MM has been precautionary. The MM has not seemed to affect it 1 way or another-unless it has softened it up-I had not felt the texture until last night. When it 1st appeared it rally did look like he'd bumped an airstone-and it was feasible given the placement of the stones in the tank. Surely it wouldn't hurt to hit it w/ HP and BB ? David,I've found if dab an injury dry then apply either Neosporin or BB gel,then follow it w/ BB powder that it stays MUCH longer.

Koko,if it were a tumor,do you think it would be SO soft? It actually may have been firmer in the beginning-it has not always looked as mushy as it does now.

What bothers me is how the veins in the body go into the mass... thats whats got my attention.

It wouldnt hurt to gently swap with HP hun :thumb:

susan, how have you decided to treat this fish?

Helen, just my touching and loosening some of the 'stuff' has made it a lot better. I still plan on hp/bb-if needed.

Susan, could we have a pic of the site? I am thinking that it has gotten better, you may not want to HP...

that depends alex, seeing as there were veins running through it, indicates that it's coming from within and not so much of a surface issue. i would think that she's probably taken the head off a pimple so to speak.. agreed though, a pic of what it looks like now will be good. if there is any oozing, fish needs to be totally isolated and daily water changes as of immediately.

a pic of what it looks like now will be good.

This is what I wanted, so as to have more information to decide :)

here are some pics thru the glass,Alex.........excuse the algae. I can get better pics if necessary.

20120326_7996.jpg?t=1332820770

20120326_7995.jpg?t=1332820776

20120326_7993.jpg?t=1332820786

20120326_7990.jpg?t=1332820802

it's looking kind of wart-like in the 3rd pic,isn't it?

Still looks like a damage scale and scale pocket to me, an injury.

how's this one looking now hun? any positive progress? do you think a HP swab.. followed by a wc a few hours later and add half dose melafix to the water?

Any news here hun?

No,everything still the same. Tomorrow I'll do a w/c and take/post some pics............