Sign in to follow this  
The Dragon's Rose

Brains is a real fish!

Ok, so some of you may know that Brains, my largest goldie, and the one I've had longest, has apparently had an ongoing internal bacterial infection since the day I brought her home. Yesterday AM started her second week on the meds I got from Koko (thanks hun!) and last night, while watching tv with the fam, I noticed her acting like a REAL fish for the first time ever! She was actually playing with her tankmates, instead of just kinda floating around most of the time, and saving all her activity for begging food when someone walks by the tank! She's still playing some today (hooray!) so I figure she MUST be feeling better. I just have one quick question... How long after I see her last stringy poop (she's still having them, but not as bad as they were before the meds) should I continue to use the meds? I know I have to keep her on them for the two week minimum, but I'm wondering if I should extend that if I still see not-normal poos...

Oh, and thank you to EVERYONE who has ever tried to help me with her strange poos, we finally figured it out! *happydance* :D

If she's on Medi-Gold, which I suspect she is, you may not want her to be on there for much longer than the 2 weeks. When it's close to that time, upload a vid, and we can go from there! :)

Sounds like a plan!

And I'm pretty sure it's medi-gold too... at least, I THINK that's what the baggie said before all the sharpie rubbed off... lol

Yup yup is was Alex's Medigold :thumb:

Ok, so update time... Today is her last day on the meds.

She's not doing so well again... back to her old normal, which means mostly just hanging out in the spot with the least current, and only becoming active if someone walks by the tank or at meal times. Her poos, while no longer diarreah, are still NOT normal for a goldfish, they're long, sorta stringy, and look like they have LOTS of mucous in them (sometimes including "air" bubbles). They've consistently been like that since the day she came home... or at least when I first started noticing such things. This is the first and only time ANY of my fish have been treated for anything while under my care, so while I'm sure there's still a problem, I'm not certain what it is/could be. Any ideas?

IMAG0325.jpg

Brains in her spot... this was today.

Various poo pics, all taken Monday AM, but these are typical of her poos.

IMAG0320.jpg

IMAG0323.jpg

IMAG0322.jpg

IMAG0321.jpg

Poop like that after an antibiotic course is not unusual.

I have a few questions for you:

1. Did Brains ever become more outgoing during the meds treatment?

2. Will you remind me again why you thought Brains had an internal infection?

3. Did you ever rule out external parasites, such as flukes?

4. Could you post new parameter readings?

Thanks.

1. She did get a little more energy for a few days, but has been back to the same-old-same-old for 3-4 days.

2. Initial reason behind the infection theory was me asking a hypothetical question about fish having diarreah after I noticed Brains...umm... "spraying"... the tank several weeks ago. People here (can't remember who) came up with the infection idea. I gave it a couple weeks before I medicated hoping she'd get back to normal without, but no luck.

3. Umm... I'm honestly not sure. I don't know what to look for myself, but I've posted here several times about Brains and her odd poos in the past, and parasites have never come up. This isn't to say I doubt them, I'm honestly beginning to suspect parasites since nothing seems to have changed after the meds, but they haven't even been suggested before. Please keep in mind, as I said before, that I've NEVER treated for anything prior to Brains recieving this round of meds. Also, Brains and Gill were originally feeders, and I know they're prone to coming home with more nasties... but Gill has always seemed just fine.

4. Will do, not able to get them instantly, but I'll have them up before I go to bed.

Ok, so some of you may know that Brains, my largest goldie, and the one I've had longest, has apparently had an ongoing internal bacterial infection since the day I brought her home.

Did you get her from a pond originally?

Could it be she has tapeworms?

Imo, I'm really weak when it comes to worms and signs and symptoms for them. If possible, would you mind expanding more on this, please? :)

I think it's really hard to diagnose unless you have actually seen tapeworms. I would say the characteristics are a tinge of ivory, polished kind of white and one end chunky and one end pointed like this pic. We get them in the pond.

Then there are flatworms (which are easier to tell as they are like flat spaghetti - what's that pasta called - anyway ribbon like.

Both can be treated with a prazi/levamisole combo, a de-wormer or sometimes General Cure (AP) in the water will flush them all out.

Please keep in mind, as I said before, that I've NEVER treated for anything prior to Brains recieving this round of meds.

Exactly. This is worrisome and suggests parasites as a high possibility. Feeder fish are usually raised in ponds and often come with worms and need de-worming.

I would do prazi in the water plus a round of jungle ant-parasite food or whatever you can get where you are that contains a de wormer for helminths.

Massive water changes to get rid of eggs and stop the cycle. The life cycle is incredibly complex. One single worm can release 100.000 eggs into the tank before or as it dies :o

Fish can live for years with worms. It doesn't affect their behavior and health much until there are intestinal complications for example if eggs get into the muscle tissue and encyst. Occasionally fish will get emaciated with them but it's far less likely than in humans.

Ok, current readings are as follows... 0/0/5-10, pH tests at 7.4/7.6 with low and high range, so I'm guessing it's at or between the two... hard to tell. She was really acting not well when I got home a little while ago, but has perked up since she had her dinner... food usually helps (even when it isn't medicated) for an hour or two. Don't know if that tidbit is useful info or not, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Did you get her from a pond originally?

...She came home as a party favor. At said party, there were aprox 40 fish in a tank that was 5 gal or smaller. I have no idea what her living conditions were prior to that, so anything is possible. As to her "normal" poos... they usually come out as this long string of pearly or opaque white crud that looks and feels (yes, I've touched it) a lot like snot when you have a cold(you know, the kind that's kinda "tough" and fibrous, but still slimey), followed by some chunky bits of real poo which is usually encased in more of the nasty stuff. Air bubbles are contained in any part of the string as it emerges, though typically it is close to and precedes the chunks(sometimes it's mixed with them too/instead). Hopefully this gives you a good mental image when combined with the previous pics. Will start scouring the web and calling my LFSs to find some anti-parasite treatments in the AM, until then, could I get a list of meds (or at least ingredients) to look for as I've heard around here that Prazi has become difficult to find?

Thanks guys, you're awesome help!

Edited by The Dragon's Rose