Wendal is having a very hard time :(

Hey everyone,

My oranda Wendal is having a very hard time. I believe he had SBD but its gotten so bad recently, I have no idea what to do. Just in the past couple days, he's been lying on his side (he used to just bottom sit and have a hard time swimming up). Now he can barely swim at all. He struggles to move anywhere, and just gives up. His tail is full of red streaks.

I've kept the light off lately (or only turned it on for a short amount of time) to perhaps help with the stress. My other fish is doing absolutely fine. I did a water change 2 days ago, and the water is in great condition. I don't have a test kit, and don't have access to one for a while...

Test Results for the Following: I don't have a test kit right now :(
  • * Ammonia Level
  • * Nitrite Level
  • * Nitrate level
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * Water temperature? : about 21C (70-ish F)
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? : 38 gallon, been running for years
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? : aquaclear 50 and tetra whisper 45
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? : weekly, about 30-40%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?: 2 days, about 30%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? : 2, both about 5 inches including tail
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? : mainly Prime (I occasionally use aqua plus and cycle)
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? : omega one sinking pellets (daily), frozen bloodworms and other frozen foods (rarely)
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?: no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? : no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? : red streaks in tail
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? : was sitting on the bottom, now he's lying on his side on the bottom, having a very hard time swimming, not eating as much anymore as he doesn't even see the food, once in a while he puts in a huge effort, swims right to the top, and immediately drops like a rock to the bottom.

I really hope this is enough info for someone to help us :( I know I don't have test kit results, but in the past, my water has been almost always perfect, and I really haven't changed anything I've been doing, so I'm assuming that the water condition is good. The plants in my tank look healthy, the water is clear. *sigh* I really want to fix Wendal...!

• Supporter

can you post a short video of his behaviour? i am also interested to see a pic from topview of the fish. is he resting position in a C shape? when was the last time he ate? when was the last time he pooped and what did it look like..

also, can you take a water sample down to your LFS and have them test it with a drops test kit? you will need to write all the results down with the exact numbers. treatments are recommended based on the water params, without this information, we won't really know what the next step is and second guessing could cause more harm than good.

Edited by stakos

Thanks for the reply. I'll go take some pictures now. I won't be able to get my water tested until at least the middle of the week. Theres no LFS's anywhere near my house (since the one I worked at closed down because the lease was up...), but I will bring a water sample next time I am able to get to a store.

I'm just uploading the photos and video now.

He's not resting in a C shape, just seems to be bottom sitting and then kind of tipping over. He ate a little yesterday because it fell right in front of his face. His wen may be getting in the way of his eyes now, so I guess I've got to do something about that sometime... I haven't seen him poop lately, but there's been more poop in the tank than usual. I'm not sure if its Eugene's poop or Wendal's, but its bigger than average, and longer. And it doesn't look all that great either (there's the occasional piece floating around that is kinda puffy and gross looking, not normal).

I turned on the light when I went to take the pictures, and he perked right up for a moment, swam around a little, acted normal for a minute, and then started lying on his side or just bottom sitting. I reached my hand in the tank to fix one of the filter intakes and he immediately swam to me and bumped into my hand (all the way across the tank).

Anyway, the pictures are uploaded, still working on the video, I'll post that when it's done.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/goldfishgirl89/DSC04555.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/goldfishgirl89/DSC04557.jpg

here's the top view: http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/goldfishgirl89/DSC04561.jpg

and you can see the read streaks all through his tail in this one: http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/goldfishgirl89/DSC04565.jpg

I know it's not a real diagnosis, but by the way he's tipping over,and the size of his wen,it makes me think he's top heavy,and that's causing him problems. But that's just based on the videos alone.

Hope all goes well.

I'm no expert so I'll completely defer to Stakos, but at the beginning of the second vid it looks like he's passing a prodigiously long poo. Makes me think that constipation might be part of the problem. Maybe fast him for a couple of days and then give him some blanched, shelled peas?

I have to feed my pups peas/spinach on a daily basis. With omega one alone they were getting constipated and floaty.

I think feeding veggies daily is a great thing. Goldfish are omnivores, and having plant matters regularly is good for them.

• Supporter

ok,. firstly.. :heart wendal is sooooo adorable :heart :heart and it does pain me to see him like this :( i can only imagine what it's doing to you.

i have some concern re your tank set up.. since the fish is favouring bottom sitting aswell as scraping on it's sides/wen as he does it, i would recommend that you remove all the gravel. what happens hun is that this constant rubbing is compromising the slime coat, leaving the fish an easy target to receive bad bacteria from gravel or other surfaces. so i will ask you to do that whilst wendal is bottom sitting and hopefully we can get to the bottom of this soon.

he seems to be breathing quite rapidly.. i really am concerned for the water quality.. i would like the answers to the water params. can you get a sample of your water down to the LFS as soon as possible?

• Supporter

I'm sure you will get some great answers but I know they will tell you to add salt, aquarium salt at 1% . He's a cutie.

i know you are trying to help and thank you for doing so.. but please double check your information before you post. we do not dose to 1%, that is an overdose by a lot. we dose to 0.1%

we do not use salt where ammonia may be present. the OP has not provided water params. we do not recommend ANY medication until we have ALL the questions answered from the white box above.

• Supporter

I've tried to feed my guys veggies on numerous occasions. They have absolutely no interest in it...... I guess thats a good thing for the plants in my tank, but ugh!!

hun, how are you preparing the veggies? are you steaming/boiling them soft? you can also try to prepare a veggie gelfood for them.. add some garlic to the mix.. yummy yummy yummy! it's really easy to make, really cheap and it lasts a long time :)

I would keep offering veggies...it may take a few days of fasting. And make certain you are preparing them soft enough to eat. The water params are vital here as nitrates can cause swim bladder issues as well.

Okay guys, thanks for the replies. I was away for a few days, so I had my mom looking after Wendal.

He seems to be just sitting on the bottom more, rather than lying on his side now, which I assume is a good thing. However, it seems he has developed more red streaks in his tail.

I will be bringing in a water sample to my LFS tomorrow evening to get tested, and I may even buy a new test kit (I had one but it expired a while ago...) if I have enough money.

stakos, I have been slowly removing the gravel over the past while, theres about 30% of it left in there, but I guess I'll scoop it all out (I just didnt to disrupt the BB in the tank) tomorrow when I do a water change.

How do you guys prepare your veggies? I would like to know the best way to do it so I can keep trying with them.

Thanks for everyone's help! <3

I hope Wenal gets well soon, poor fella, that was hard for me to watch. :crying: I can't imagine how you feel. :yawn My fish too did NOT eat spinach, then thanks to this site I learned how to blanch it and now they LOVE it~~~here I was offering it to them all wrong~~~now they tear into it :clapping: LOVIN this site !! :wub:

I put a dozen frozen peas in a bowl with probably a half cup of water (I don't measure it, I just wag it) and microwave them for about 1:40 on high. Once they cool I drain off the water and pop the peas out of the shell into another bowl. I lightly mash the peas to break the up a wee bit, then squirt some tank water in the bowl with the peas, swish it a bit and then pour in the tank.

I do the shelling, mashing and swishing right in front of the tank... by the time I get ready to pour the peas in my three puppies have worked themselves into a frenzy. ;-)

I put a handful of frozen peas in a small bowl, and then I add maybe a tablespoon of water. I microwave them for about 30 seconds, and if the bowl is hot, I put it in the fridge for a few minutes. Then I stand in front of the tank and squeeze the peas from their shells right into the tank. I smash some of the peas slightly to make it easier for the smaller fish. They gobble them up, but it took a few tries to get them excited. Also, if you fast them, they will be more likely to eat the peas.

• Supporter

you really only need one or two peas per fish, if the fish is small, half a pea will do, it really depends on the size of the fish. i buy fresh peas from the green grocer (produce), i take about a cup of water from the tank, put it into a small saucepan and boil them for about 5-10 mins. you can prepare ahead for a few days, peas keep well in the fridge. alternatively, you can buy the unsalted frozen peas and just as others have suggested, microwave them (you need some water in there, so just use some tank water).

for spinach, you can boil that too until it tears apart effortlessly with your fingernail.. blanching is not enough, it needs to be boiled or microwaved really soft, but not too soft as you need to still be able to pin it to a veggie clip.

other veggies like carrots, zuccini etc, i steam those and either feed direct or make gelfood with them.

oh, and i would remove all the gravel in one go now as alistairw has suggested.