Sign in to follow this  
Golden fishy

Ten gallon tropical

I want to have tropical fish, I was wondering what fish do you think would be nice in a ten gallon?? I was thinking some guppys maybe and something else. And no betta with guppys right? And what fish could you keep with guppys? Thanks!!!

Guppies are great, but if you get females you'll get lots of fry. Be sure to have more males than females, too. Other fish would be platies, or a school of neons...I wouldn't put more than 7-8 fish altogether in a 10 gallon, though. Especially with livebearers. :)

I'd get a Dwarf Puffer if I had a 10 gallon. Not sure if anything else could be put in a tank with it, but I think they are so adorable.

most bottom feeders do well with a betta. corys, plecos, frogs, and shrimp are good ones to pick. for the 10 gallon, i'd stick to the basics on this one and choose small tetras and barbs. white cloud minnows and danios would make great choices as well. you don't want to overload the tank and filter with too many fish. a good rule of thumb is to keep 1 gallon per 1 inch per fish. a 10 gallon tank kinda limits your options. but once you get it established and get the hang of keeping them alive and happy then definitely consider getting a bigger tank. your choice of tropical fish will then be greater and you can choose some of the more exotic and bigger species.

I had bettas that chased after my shrimp and cories--they all have different personalities so you have to watch them. Ususally bettas do best by themselves. A group of 5-6 male guppies would be good in a 10 gal--don't have to worry about babies that way! Or a schoal of 6 cories would be fun in there. They swim all over the tank too--not just on the bottom.

Or a schoal of 6 cories would be fun in there. They swim all over the tank too--not just on the bottom.

6 cories seems to be much for a 10g, in my opinion. These guys grow to be 2-3" minimum, and are much bulkier than other small tropicals such as guppies, platies, tetras etc.

With 6 cories, a 10g will be quite tight. Doable probably, but tight. I'd definitely make sure to have at least 10x filtration on this setup and have a maintenance routine like on a goldfish tank. :)

Hmm, maybe 4 corys to 6 would be nice! Otherwise some male guppies. Thanks for the suggestions. And one quick question, are all corys compatible?

I would have a betta, shrimp or dwarf frogs, and celestial pearl danios, and lots of plants. :)

Edited by ShawneeRiver

Cories are schooling, so you should stick with one species. However, I'd suggest a species of dwarf cory. If it were me, I'd do something like a tiny school of dwarf cory and a tiny school of lamp eye killies and lots of plants. :)

I have 4 female guppies, a score of fry, a snail, and a male crowntail betta in my 10g. Used to have a 3" emerald cory and a 2" peppered cory but I just moved them to the 20g a few days ago. I had male guppies in there at one point and the betta was fine with them. All the bettas I've had have gotten along with guppies.

This TD's (my Hubby) tank. Its a 20 gallon tank filled with plants...

Java fern, Anubias, Sword Plants and Whisteria.

It has a T5 light that we got from Petsmart.

Also 3 small Aquaclear filters. This is to keep the current down in the tank. But also enough filtration.

It has TMS too.

Fish in the tank..

Guppies, 4 Kuli loaches and a very small green snail that came with a plant.

DSCN1570.jpg

My Betta chased and picked on my shrimp,and the frogs picked on the Betta ;) but the kuhli's got along well with the Betta :) oh and the snails were also good with the Betta :)

A dwarf puffer and shrimp :)

Wouldn't a Dwarf Puffer eat the shrimp?

A dwarf puffer will rarely tackle anything larger that itself. I had absolutely no problems keeping ammano and red cherry shrimp with our dp's. The ammano shrimp are about twice the size of a dp so are safe :)

wow, after reading this thread and then doing a search, amano shrimp are a lot bigger than I expected them to be, and dwarf puffers are a lot smaller than I expected them to be...

A dwarf puffer and shrimp :)

Wouldn't a Dwarf Puffer eat the shrimp?

A dwarf puffer will rarely tackle anything larger that itself. I had absolutely no problems keeping ammano and red cherry shrimp with our dp's. The ammano shrimp are about twice the size of a dp so are safe :)

Unless it's a snail. I've seen lots of dwarfs go after snails nearly twice their size. I can't wait until I have enough room to get some. They're too cute.

This TD's (my Hubby) tank. Its a 20 gallon tank filled with plants...

Java fern, Anubias, Sword Plants and Whisteria.

It has a T5 light that we got from Petsmart.

Also 3 small Aquaclear filters. This is to keep the current down in the tank. But also enough filtration.

It has TMS too.

Fish in the tank..

Guppies, 4 Kuli loaches and a very small green snail that came with a plant.

DSCN1570.jpg

ooh very nice tank koko!

I'm starting to want guppies since the other day we stopped at the pet store but we couldn't find any corys.

Hmm, maybe 4 corys to 6 would be nice! Otherwise some male guppies. Thanks for the suggestions. And one quick question, are all corys compatible?

Cories prefer to schoal with their own type but get along fine with others.

I was also thinking about starting up a 10 gallon too. What about 6 danios?

Six danios would be great in a 10 gal. I had 12 of them in a ten for awhile and they were fine. Just make sure to clean the tank at least once a week. :)

I have six long-finned leopard danios in a 10, they are so much fun to watch! Initially I had them in a 37, then a 29, but after getting some new goldfish I had to shuffle all my tank inhabitants about. So the danios have their own 10g tank now, and they school together constantly, unlike in the larger tanks. Now they chase each other round and round like crazy all day, they especially like to zip through the holes of a sunken ship in a long line, one after another.

Koko, that's such a pretty tank!

Im thinking of filling my new 10 gallon with plants and then getting 6 pygmy cories to go with the Betta, figure if I pretty much heavily plant the tank everything will be ok :peeka well thats the idea anyway.