Sign in to follow this  
wrtscotland

Dropsy Advice

Latest is there has been no change with the two fish.

Latest water parameters are

Ph - 7.5

Ammonia - 0.25ppm

Nitrite - 0ppm

Nitrate - 5.0ppm

This is now the 5th day treating with epsom salts and also the 3rd day of the 3 day dosage of the Octozin treatment.

Do I continue with the epsom salt treatment?

My bottle of prime arrived today

Also there appears to be some inprovement in the black moor as it is not as bloated looking as yesterday so some water retention must be reducing.

can you run the Octozin treatment back to back, as in another 3 day course?

There is no mention on the bottle about further treatment after the 3 day course so I am not sure.

I am still continuing with the salt treatment for just now as Stakos mentioned this can be done for 8 days.

Can you also get us some more above the fish pictures so we can see if the scales are looking any better?

Can you get Interpret #9? Apparently it has Furan in it and can be used to treat bacterial infections. It's available in the UK. I just found out

Can you get Interpret #9? Apparently it has Furan in it and can be used to treat bacterial infections. It's available in the UK. I just found out

I have interpet 9 but was advised against using it nearer the start of the thread but this was due to my ammonia levels. As my water parameters are now under control would it be advisable to start using this now?

I have pictures of the two fish affected. The black moor is now back to normal size whilst the other is still swollen and pineconed.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i92/wrtscotland/Fish/DSC_0034.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i92/wrtscotland/Fish/DSC_0042.jpg

I have now treated 8 days with epsom salts. Also on days 3,4 and 5 with Octozan. Every day carrying out 50 - 70% water changes and replacing the salt lost.

What are peoples recommendations now?

As far as I know No9 does not contain Furan, it has Bronopol, Formaldehyde and Benzalkonium Chloride

Interpet No 9, that's the anti internal bacteria one. I talked about that on my thread back in December but it had nothing of much worth in it apparently. :(

well, Trinket just responded (it was the only response from the mention i made to the mods) that Interpet 9 has Furan. perhaps we should consider it if we are not treating with anything else and the epsom has already run it's full course with minimal results?

well, Trinket just responded (it was the only response from the mention i made to the mods) that Interpet 9 has Furan. perhaps we should consider it if we are not treating with anything else and the epsom has already run it's full course with minimal results?

Hun I just went looking on the Interweb (:teehee) and I found this :o

Interpet Anti Internal Bacteria (Fish Health Treatment Number 9)

Ingredients: Bronopol (522mg), Formaldehyde (900mg) and Benzalkonium Chloride (250mg)

ok, i understand.. what i was trying to say is that if trinket recommended the product, then she may have had favourable results using it in situations like this. i should have explained a little more but was egar to respond to susan's thread also and have limited time today...

i apologise for the confusion..

ok, i understand.. what i was trying to say is that if trinket recommended the product, then she may have had favourable results using it in situations like this. i should have explained a little more but was egar to respond to susan's thread also and have limited time today...

i apologise for the confusion..

:hug:)

From reading online, Furan is banned in the UK and does not appear under the Small Animal Exemption Scheme. :-) Not sure if the ingredients are a little too harsh now, especially the formaldehyde.

well, i know from experience with dropsy.. untreated = fatal.

we've tried the epsom, little results.. we've tried the Octozin.. no luck..

does anyone recommend anything else? anyone got flagyl or metronidazole in their cabinets that we can send? i'd send him the jar i have here, but it would never leave customs.

if there are no other solutions, we can only try with what's available. i have nothing more to offer as i don't know what else is available.. apparently there was a thread in the UK forum for available meds in the UK.. anyone seen it?

ok.. here we go.. i have a friend in the UK.. a member here, sarah - devilduck.. she's prepared to send some Flagyl your way.. please email me your postal details to sparez@bigpond.net.au and i will have her send them to you immediately.

ok.. here we go.. i have a friend in the UK.. a member here, sarah - devilduck.. she's prepared to send some Flagyl your way.. please email me your postal details to sparez@bigpond.net.au and i will have her send them to you immediately.

That would be great. Very much appriciated.

I will send the email after posting this.

There has been a little improvement with the second (orange) fish today as it has reduced in size. So the salts seemed to have helped in this area.

Once I get the Flagyl I will need to know what to do with it though so will be looking for help on that also.

Thanks again for all the help.

ok.. i got your details and i have PM'd sarah.. hopefully she will see that soon and post the meds out. i've requested an overnight service.. i am pretty sure she will see my email before she leaves for work today.. *fingers crossed* i am happy to hear there is some slight improvement.

you will need to weigh your fish. the dosage will be worked out according to the weight of your fish. please arrange that and post their individual weight here.

sarah will be sending 4 x 250mg Flagyl tablets.

ok. i have received confirmation that the meds are in the post. please, do weigh your fish so we can get you making the gelfood as quickly as possible.

Have you received the meds we sent?

Just to make this a bit less stressful on your fish...weigh a bowl of tank water, move the bowl as close to the tank as possible, gently but swiftly lift the fish into the bowl of water and weigh again, then empty fish and water back into the tank, the difference in weight is your fish! Let us know when you get the meds :) They went first class so I'm hoping they got there today.

Just to make this a bit less stressful on your fish...weigh a bowl of tank water, move the bowl as close to the tank as possible, gently but swiftly lift the fish into the bowl of water and weigh again, then empty fish and water back into the tank, the difference in weight is your fish! Let us know when you get the meds :) They went first class so I'm hoping they got there today.

Recieved the meds yesterday so a big thank you to devilduck for sending the meds and stakos for helping source someone willing to ssend them. I have been unable to do anything (weighing the fish) the last few days due to other commitments.

I am going to get the fish weighed tonight and post the results up once I have them. The method you descibed devilduck is the way I was thinking about doing it too.

Should I still be using the heater in my tank? I know for using the epsom salts I had to raise the water temp but do I need to continue with this now I am no longer using the salts?

I'll let someone else cover dosing, but in terms of heating, what are you at now? I always keep a heater in my tank just to keep the temperature from fluctuating. For ill fish I would keep it around 25'C and make sure you keep lots of bubbles in the tank.