Sign in to follow this  
shakaho

Upgrading the instant pond

I noted the fat goldfish! :rofl

Pearls, the mother of a multitude.

I'm good at growing fish, marginal plants, terrestrial plants -- in ground, in bog filters, or in pots in the top of filters. I am terrible at water lilies. I have killed at least four of them.

The little plant in the tank above is not a water lily, but some species of Nymphoides. This I can grow.

I know there are people here who can grow water lilies. Start a thread on the topic. I could benefit from some hints.

ok will do

One of the things that give people trouble with this filter is finding Matala for building the filter. Many other materials are suitable. The function of the Matala is to support the media on top of it while allowing free flow of water. One of the most popular alternatives is the "eggcrate" light diffuser,which you can get at a home improvement store. If you can find a colander of the right size, that will work. I have used assorted plastic containers and drilled lots of holes in them. The function of this part of the filter is to keep the media above the stool so it doesn't interfere with the "swirl" and doesn't get filthy from the settled debris in the bottom.

Hubby is going to make me one for Christmas. Where did you get the tubing and how did you figure out what size to buy?

Here is how you get tubing. First, get your pump. There will be "barb fittings" with the pump for attachment of a hose. Something like these:

C441.jpg

I will assume you will go to Home Depot or Lowes to get your plumbing material. Take the barb fittings to the pond supplies in the garden area. You will find pond tubing there. Check to see if any of the barbs fit into any of the tubings available there. A good fit is when you can push the tip of the barb into the tube, but can't get it in very far. When you actually put the barb in the tube, you will soften the end of the tube in hot water so you can push the barb in deeply.

Your choices of tubing here will be 1/2" and maybe 5/8." You also can check the plumbing and irrigation areas of the store for tubing that will fit a barb.

Now decide on the size pvc pipe you want to use in your filter. You can go for 1/2" or 3/4". The larger the pipe and the tubing, the stronger flow you will get, and the more expensive the pipe and fittings will be.

Then take the hose you have chosen to the plumbing department, show it to the person who works there and say, "I want to attach this to 1/2" (or 3/4") pvc pipe. What do I need?" Anyone remotely familiar with the plumbing department will immediately find the barb fitting and adapter that you need.

Thank you. Working on a list for what I need when I get it down Ill post it here for corrects and others to use when they make one.

You are extremely skilled at making things and I'm in awe. One day when I have my own house and garden I will make a pond and come back to these tutorials. Thank you for taking the time to post these.