Sign in to follow this  
musterbeard

Swim Bladder Or Behavior?

Hello, this is what i captured yesterday at night:

I think this happens with Fluffy in the night or late evening. Is this a swim bladder or behavior?

• 4.7 gals since middle 2011 when i got aquarium
  • JEBO water filter
  • Until yesterday 2 time a week 90% of volume, from yesterday will change 3 times a week, 50%
  • Today last water change, 50%
  • 2 goldfish of small size i guess
  • No water additives, only dechlorinator
  • Flakes in the morning, pellets in the evening
  • No new fish ever
  • No medications so far
  • Maybe one has little frayed spot on one side

Hi :)

In order to get help, you need to fill in the required questions at the top of the page. As you have already been told, 4.7 gallons is incredibly small and you will need at least 30 gallons for two common goldfish. Without following the advice people have given you in past answers, I doubt anyone will be able to help you as the advice will be the same. There are steps that need to be taken in order to correctly diagnose and treat, and tank size is a vital part to that.

Edited by Narny105

It's true. You really do need a much larger tank.

If it makes you feel any better, I did the exact same thing, but worse.

I started with a 2.5g with one ryukin. Soon I moved him to a 5, and bought him a friend, so I moved them to a 10. both died about a month later. :( the tank was just too small.

Now I have 2 happy, healthy ryukins in a 30g, and it is so much better, for them, and me. I love it. It's awesome to walk by and see my two happy little fishies in their nice big tank :)

You really need to consider a 30 or 40g of you want them to get better. :)

But 151 litres aquarium is crazy! Where would i put this titan?

mines a 180l bowfront and fits snugly in the corner of the living room, its only 91cm long.

You have already gotten excellent advice regarding your tank size.

You really need at least 113-150 liters. Swim bladder problems can be caused by a number of different things including high nitrates. I would guess in a tank that small your nitrates can build up pretty fast. As Narny already indicated it would be helpful to us if you could fill out the entire questionaire including your tank parameters. If you do not have a test kit currently you can get your water tested at a local pet store (write down the exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and Ph).

In the mean time, I would give your fish either peas or spinach (soften the spinach by boiling it) for a couple days and then fast them for a couple days and see if that makes any difference. However, tank size is a primary concern in this situation. If you can't afford a new tank right now you can always use a large plastic (food safe) storage bin with a filter and airstone as temporary housing for your goldies :)

Please fill out all the questions below and we can go from there :)

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level
  • * Nitrite Level
  • * Nitrate level
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Edited by tithra

But 151 litres aquarium is crazy! Where would i put this titan?

We completely understand that it is a large size, but realistically it is essential that you are to upgrade your tank if you wish to keep healthy fish. In a tank that small, you should really be doing very large, daily water changes just to keep the nitrates down, but as you cannot test or match your pH at this point, large water changes may cause more issues, that is why it is essential that you get the test kit.

Like tithra said, a large, food safe plastic tub is great for temporary housing, and may actually be a very good thing to start considering getting now until you can upgrade to a larger tank. You will need to be guided how to do this if that is what you chose to do. :)

Absolutely...a bigger tank is the first step. These fish easily can grow to eight inches. They need more space to move comfortably and to keep your water quality safe.

I just wanted to say that 150 litres may not be as big as you thought... I've got an 160 litre tank, measuring 100 x 40 x 40 (cm). at first it seems massive but after I put my fish in, they don't look cramped like they were in a 63 litre (which is what I had before, with 2 goldfish).