Hong Ki is Turning Fuzzy White, Help!

I have had Hong Ki for about two weeks now. This past few days he has become less active, just sitting at the top near the food entrance.

Yesterday I noticed what looked like tiny white scales on his head that were not there before. Well today I turn on his light to feed him and he does not respond to me at all, he is laying at the bottom breathing slowly. And now almost all of his fins are covered in fuzzy white stuff. The white stuff also seems to be weighing him down the few times he does try to swim.

I tried to get pictures but for some reason my camera cannot focus on him, it must be his coloring. :/

I am even more concerned by the fact that this diease is attacking him so quickly, as he had no white at all on him two days ago.

He is in a 1 gallon filterless that I clean every other day. He has a lump of java moss in there with him. And how do I treat the java moss?

• Admin

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level

* Nitrite Level

* Nitrate level

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Could you answer these for me :thumb:

Aside from what was already asked, a 1 gallon unfiltered is no appropriate home for a betta. You have to do 100% w/c at least daily. Some people on betta forums even recommend twice daily.

You will find that it is advised to keep bettas in at least 2.5 gallons. They need warm water, and a 1 gallon is difficult to keep to heat.

I would suggest as quick fix for the tank size issue, to go to Walmart or Target and get a roughly 5 gallon sterilite container to transfer the fish to. 5 gallons will take 5 times as long to have toxic water, so you will be fine there with partial water changes every 3-4 days without filter.

Make sure the pH and temperature is matched!!

Then you can save up some money to get him a more appropriate home, maybe even with a small filter. The Tetra Whisper I3 is great for bettas. It's powered by a small air pump, works for up to 3 gallons. By using a stronger air pump though, you also increase the flow rate, and the filter will work just fine even for a 10 gallon tank with just a betta in it.

Or if you decide to get a 2.5 gallon tank, the small filter with the small air pump will be just perfect too :) That filter also only costs around $ 12. I just seeded mine with some floss from my goldfish tank for an instant cycle. The filter is truly a mini filter, and a piece of floss 4x4" will be big enough.

As soon as you can provide the info required, somebody will surely be able to help you with the disease problem :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Wow that was one of the fastest dieases I have experinced. It took it less than 48 hours to completey engulf him. He passed away last night. :(

Edited by Aluyasha

• Helper

I'm sorry for your loss. If you are considering getting another betta, I would highly recommend boiling/bleaching any items that came into contact with that fish, just in case what took him was transmissible. Most diseases that afflict betta are exacerbated or even caused by stress to their systems from water quality - usually too dirty and too cold. Definitely consider getting a 2.5 or 5 gallon tank that can be heated, filtered, and is a little more stable. It makes the whole process that much easier :)

What do I do with the java moss that was with him? Is there anyway to disinfect it or should I just throw it away?

:( So sorry he didn't make it.

You can use bleach or potassium permanganate to sterilize it and any other plants that may have been in the tank. I use bleach because I have it handy. Ratio is 1 part bleach to 19 parts water, soak the plant in this for 2-3 min, rinse in tap water, then soak in a bucket of water with extra water dechorinator in it for a couple minutes (this will get rid of any bleach residue)

EDIT: and as arctic mama said, everything should be sterilized. Gravel/rocks can be boiled, and all equipment can be bleached (you can actually put a bleach solution in the empty tank and let the filter run it through for awhile).

Edited by tithra