My New Bubble Eye!

Both of those airstones are cool. I have never seen the bendy one before. :)

What about those airstone that are shaped like sicks and they usually suction to the back of the tank?

Also, should I remove his gravel? Not only because I heard gravel can cause problems for the eye bubbles but also because it give him more water space. And would it help him to find food a little easier?

Congrats! He's cute, and I like the name.

I had celestials, and they spent most of their time pecking at the bottom of the tank. Most of what they ate came off the bottom, and they do a GREAT job of covering the entire bottom of the tank. I put them in a new 55 with smooth sand, and by morning, every inch of the bottom showed marks where the fish had pecked at it.

If those are fake plants, you should consider removing a bunch of the gravel. I wouldn't go barebottom necessarily because I assume that your fish will want to peck around. But a very think layer of gravel will give him the satisfaction of pecking without the risk of not finding food. Also, too much gravel does nothing but hold gunk and potentially bad bugs.

What about those airstone that are shaped like sicks and they usually suction to the back of the tank?

Also, should I remove his gravel? Not only because I heard gravel can cause problems for the eye bubbles but also because it give him more water space. And would it help him to find food a little easier?

Keeping a bare bottom tank can certainly be much easier in terms of maintenance and like you said will add some water volume. It may help him find food easier if you notice he is having an issue with it. I would personally keep as little as possible in a bubble eye tank just because they are so sensitive and accident prone. I would personally go barebottom with maybe just one or two anubias tied to a smooth rock for plants.

If you are worried about entertaining him (the pecking shawn described above) you could always keep a small scattering of smooth pebbles/gravel on the bottom of the tank for him to peck through.

It all comes down to personal choice and preference in the end :)

Edited by tithra

Yes, it really is choice. I don't care for the look of a barebottom tank, so I would never recommend it. I believe the fish like the substrate, I prefer the look, and a thin layer of gravel or sand is easy to maintain. :)

Yes, it really is choice. I don't care for the look of a barebottom tank, so I would never recommend it. I believe the fish like the substrate, I prefer the look, and a thin layer of gravel or sand is easy to maintain. :)

Exactly :) it really is personal preference. Having had both substrate and bare bottom now, I personally much prefer the aesthetics and ease of a bare bottom tank and will never have substrate again lol. I also did not personally notice any change in the behavior of my fish having substrate versus having a small scattering of pebbles on the bottom, but I think all fish are different :)

Congrats! He's cute, and I like the name.

I had celestials, and they spent most of their time pecking at the bottom of the tank. Most of what they ate came off the bottom, and they do a GREAT job of covering the entire bottom of the tank. I put them in a new 55 with smooth sand, and by morning, every inch of the bottom showed marks where the fish had pecked at it.

If those are fake plants, you should consider removing a bunch of the gravel. I wouldn't go barebottom necessarily because I assume that your fish will want to peck around. But a very think layer of gravel will give him the satisfaction of pecking without the risk of not finding food. Also, too much gravel does nothing but hold gunk and potentially bad bugs.

I think I will remove enough gravel to leave a thin layer for him.

And yes those are (soft) fake plants, though I think I want to get a large-ish live plant for the middle of the tank.

Was your celestials harder to care for verses other fancy types?

And I will be getting a aq sponge to cover up the filter intake. :)

Actually, they were easier than I expected. They seemed to get their share of food in a crowded tank with more aggressive fish, and they never got hurt or bullied. They looked for food constantly, even more than the other fish.

I'd say get rid of the gravel and especially the plastic plants. They may be soft for plastic, but they look like the most dangerous thing in the tank since he has to navigate around them with poor vision. He'd be happy pushing around some of those glass "pebbles" which are smooth and safe. You can "pot" live plants in a container with smooth pebbles to hold them in place. Live plants are perfectly safe and probably very tasty.

Actually, they were easier than I expected. They seemed to get their share of food in a crowded tank with more aggressive fish, and they never got hurt or bullied. They looked for food constantly, even more than the other fish.

Food question. Because they cannot see the bottom very well I thought I would give him floating pellets but he seems to have a very hard time finding food above him too.

If they are good at cleaning the bottom then should I get him sinking pellets?

So guess what? I was at the lfs yesterday and came across a celestial eye that the employee told me they were going to return to the breeder because nobody wanted it. :/

Earlier that day my mom told me that I can have her 30g once her goldfish are in their new 50g (which they will be gong in at the beginning of April). So I decided to bring the celestial home as a friend for Hobo. :)

They are both in the 15g, but they are only an inch long and I have been making sure to do plenty of water tests and changes. They will be getting their 30g in about 2 weeks! And it will already be cycled and everything! :)

So here is my new celestial eye, Guinness:

DSCF4374.jpg

DSCF4378.jpg

DSCF4366.jpg

DSCF4363.jpg

Yes, sinking pellets. Again, I'm only saying what I saw, but mine were very active and able to hunt and peck at the bottom. They ate only sinking food and they definitely didn't stave. :)

*starve* :doh11:

The new fish is a cutie! I love that first picture with his eyes starting into the camera. :)

Thank you. :)

How do you guys hold back the want for more goldfish? lol

Everytime I go to the lfs I look at the fish and when they have more bubble eyes I have to try really hard not to buy all of them. lol

We don't. ;) We shop on Craigslist for used tanks or we rearrange furniture or we hound spouses/ significant others until they cave and let us have bigger tanks. :rofl

My landlord is only allowing 2 30g and my 15g. Pacer and Pushy are in 1 of the 30g, then Hobo and Guinness are going in the next 30g, which only leaves the 15g...Darn, I want more bubble eyes. lol