Sign in to follow this  
Guest jnewsom23

Fantail Has A Damaged Mouth

Guest jnewsom23

Hello,

1-Fantail Goldfish has a problem with his mouth I noticed this morning

2-Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master Test Kit reveals nothing wrong with: Ammonia, NItrite, Nitrate and Ph levels.

2-Currently being treated for Ick w/ Maracyn I and II (occured when I added a new Ranchu last week)

3-3 goldfish in 30 gallon tank

4-Symptoms:

i) his left upper lip is somehow tucked into his bottom lower lip, it is DEFINITELY not level like it should be.

ii) on the bottom of the tank sitting there continually opening his mouth up REALLY bid and closing it (like I said, I found NO rock in his stomach or mouth upon inspection)

5-Remedies so far: I checked him for rock in the mouth (repeatedly) and found nothing

I don't think this is mouth rot, it appears though his mouth has been physically damaged??

Thanks for input

Jessica

:ph34r:

Hi Jessica, and welcome to the board! :)

First, Mara and Mara 2 won't cure ich. Ich is a parasite and therefore doesn't respond at all to antibiotics. The best treatment for ich is to salt the tank.

First put carbon in your filter to remove the meds and do a partial water change. Then add 3 teaspoons of salt per gallon, in increments of 1 tsp per gallon every 12 hours. Dissolve the salt completely first and then pour it into the tank. You can use any salt (except Epsom) as long as it does NOT contain anti-caking agents. It also helps to increase the tank temp to 80F - adding extra aeration too as warm water holds less oxygen - and keeping the tank dark. Keep the tank like this until the fish have been completely ich-free for at least 3 days (ideally 6 days). Then do a 50% change to reduce the salt, and another 50% change the following week.

As for the mouth problem, this could be a number of things (glad you checked first for rocks - that would have been my first suggestion!) Have you noticed the fish rubbing its mouth on the gravel, ornaments or tank sides? Have the fish been displaying breeding behaviour (chasing)? Does its mouth look sore, wounded or swollen? Is the fish able to feed?

Guest jnewsom23

Thanks for the response. I purchased some MelaFix and immediately began a regime of that for a week. I have been changing 25% of the h2o every 3 days since last tuesday (when I initially noticed ick and fin rot on 2 of my goldfish).

His mouth kind of looks like someone w/ a cleft-palate (sp?) I believe it is a parasite that is causing this. He is still active and eating, but not as active as he is when healthy of course.

I purchased this Ranchu last week from LFS and returned it after having had it only a week. It never ate and always had stringy white poop. 1 day after I had returned the Ranchu I noticed my bubble eye was missing a ventral fin and then realized he was infected w/ fin rot. He also has a big white sore on the side of his body. Last Tuesday I began the Maracyn I and II treatments. I noticed this weekend that my other goldfish (the 1 this thread is related to) had Ick and this morning I noticed the change in his mouth structure. :sick

I have a 32 gallon (aquarium-salt) treated h2o container I will change 25% of the h2o tomorrow (I changed it yesterday).

On a related note, I went back to LFS this weekend to see that fish I had returned, and it was back in the tank w/ other goldfish. The fish's scales were hollow looking and his face was almost transparent, I could see inside his skull! I asked them why was he still in there w/ other healthy goldfish and they said nothing was wrong w/ it!!!! LMAO, tell my 2 sick goldfish that! :ill

Will post future thread on how things are going.

Thanks so much again

Jessica

:ph34r: