Sign in to follow this  
Peterlock

Fancy Goldfish: Complete Guide To Care and Collecting

FANCYGOLDFISH.jpg

Out of my own library of books, research papers and other collected data spanning three decades I can attest no book, no resource has proven time and time again to be as invaluable a reference.

The book is as the title suggests, a complete "Guide" to the myriad of complex, often overwhelming and occasionally maddening complexities of keeping these ancient, living works of art alive and flourishing.

Perhaps not meant to be read from beginning too end, although I have, many times. The book serves as a reference point for you to turn to regarding specific problems and issues you face at the time.

The book shines brightest with it's in depth, sweeping knowledge of disease. Written by some of the most experienced minds who all share a common a thread - an obsession with Fancy Goldfish.

The book is geared towards intermediate and advanced hobbyists. However, a novice who is fascinated by these gorgeous creatures and captivated by their behavior should find this book a fascinating read. One you can turn too time and time again.

The book is packed with brilliant photographs of Virtually every species/ sub species is covered with excellent commentary and wonderful photographs.

You'll also find an incredibly depth coverage of parasites, bacterial and fungal infection along with magnified clear images taken from high powered microscopes.

Clear instructions on treatments, medications and cures are abundant and a critically important part of this tremendous effort - written to keep your prized Goldfish, healthy and happy.

More than a book " Fancy Goldfish: Complete Guide To Care and Collecting" is an invaluable resource.

I would urge anyone who has yet to own a copy not to hesitate. Purchase this book with full confidence and without hesitation.

This post has been promoted to an article

Good review, and I agree! I love this book. The only complaint I have is that there is no index in the back.

I do like this book, but there are definitely some things that I just don't agree with or wish they would provide more detail on. For example pg. 16 "may be housed in containers of just a few gallons on up to lakes". hmmmm.....

And they provide no range of Ph for goldfish, they just state that 7.4 is the ideal Ph. I'm sure there are other examples of things like this in the book, these are just the two that come to mind.

Overall, I think it is an excellent book and reference for those who already have some knowledge (and one of those must-haves), but I would hate for someone just starting out to read some of these things and feel like they then need to lower their Ph to 7.4, or can keep a fish in 2 gallons of water etc.

I do like this book very much, and their are also worthwhile additions to this knowledge base.

Two are:

1) Helen Robert's Fundamentals of Ornamental Fish Keeping

2) Edward Noga's Fish Disease: Diagnosis & Treatment

:)

Amazing book. An old member of this board lent it to me some years back. Once the time came to return it, I bought my own copy. I find the section about microscopy and parasites the most helpful. Almost any ailment can be diagnosed with a light microscope and this book. Invaluable.

I am laughing my fat :fbottom: off because my family doctor's name is Dr. Eric Johnson :clapping:

I am laughing my fat off because my family doctor's name is Dr. Eric Johnson

Might you BE a goldfish in disguise, Fang? :rofl

I am laughing my fat off because my family doctor's name is Dr. Eric Johnson

Might you BE a goldfish in disguise, Fang? :rofl

I sure have the required appetite and intellect. :lol

I need to be a goldfish, but do I get to choose where to live? I can't just go anywhere. :rofl

I need to be a goldfish, but do I get to choose where to live? I can't just go anywhere. :rofl

Why do you need to be? I'd suggest you move in with Federica and the girls. You can be their boy toy :rofl

Ok, Federica. I'm moving in! :rofl

I do like this book, but there are definitely some things that I just don't agree with or wish they would provide more detail on. For example pg. 16 "may be housed in containers of just a few gallons on up to lakes". hmmmm.....

And they provide no range of Ph for goldfish, they just state that 7.4 is the ideal Ph. I'm sure there are other examples of things like this in the book, these are just the two that come to mind.Overall, I think it is an excellent book and reference for those who already have some knowledge (and one of those must-haves), but I would hate for someone just starting out to read some of these things and feel like they then need to lower their Ph to 7.4, or can keep a fish in 2 gallons of water etc.

The same paragraph also states:

"As a simple rule of thumb, you should provide at least 10 gallons for each mature fish and more for especially large varieties"

I think the author is merely trying to express how varied the housing is for the many different types of goldfish and both the cultures and people who keep them.

The Chinese began keeping goldfish 263 CE during the Jin Dynasty. They kept them in clay pots with none of the advantages we have today of filtration, testing equipment and so on. But they knew clean water meant life so I imagine water changes, along with good nutrition were the only tools they had - and the only ones they needed.

About PH, goldfish can adjust to a wide range.

PH should ideally be over 7.0 and preferably between 7.4 and 7.5 (the natural PH of their blood) The PH can be high but should never reach over 8.0. Even with buffers like crushed coral Ph will naturally fluctuate however, the fish adjust quickly and well.

The book doesn't have an index that's true. But it's only 176 pages.

I find the front preliminaries to be extremely in depth and concise. Making it easy to find the exact page you're looking for.

We need to be a little forgiving of books, unlike digitally produced material where you can edit instantly with a few key stroked. Once a book rolls off the press it's cast in stone. The cost of publishing is crushing and edits and additions are impossible.

I believe the author and contributors were offering the best information they possibly could - based on available knowledge at the time.

Edited by PeterD

Guys this is a great book but lets take a look at when it was Written. Years ago, and since then we have improved on goldfish care. So in over all this Book is the best to have, since alot of others are so OUT DATED you can't trust it.

Thats my :twocents:

Guys this is a great book but lets take a look at when it was Written. Years ago, and since then we have improved on goldfish care. So in over all this Book is the best to have, since alot of others are so OUT DATED you can't trust it.

Thats my :twocents:

Great point! The first edition was published in 2001 and then again in 2006. The book has stood the test time and that speaks volumes.

Edited by PeterD

I have a good buddy that just gave me a copy of that book and i must say it is an awesome book. I do not agree with their water changing regimne though. Way to small and nowhere near enough ;)

:) see! i told you guys this is one of the best books. It's thanks to this book i know so much about goldfish and i am less than a year in the hobby.

see! i told you guys this is one of the best books. It's thanks to this book i know so much about goldfish and i am less than a year in the hobby.

Spyromon, that book has been on the recommended list of this forum for years! :)

see! i told you guys this is one of the best books. It's thanks to this book i know so much about goldfish and i am less than a year in the hobby.

Spyromon, that book has been on the recommended list of this forum for years! :)

:bingo:

So has the site that helped make it Goldfishconnection. :thumb: