Idea for a tank, can I do this?

Guest imadawg22

Guest imadawg22

Hi everyone,

I'm making a "Cars" themed fish tank for my son's room. I want to use black gravel for the "track" and then use a piece of white polyethylene sheeting for a finish line. Is the sheeting safe for the fish? Will algea stain it green?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Sounds like a cute idea. I'm not sure about if the sheeting is safe,but algae will grow on anything,so it could get turned green. You can always just take it out and wipe it off if it gets bad.

It depends on which type of polyethylene. HDPE and LDPE are two types that are classified as safe for food storage, and thus would be safe for fish.

Edited by Sakura

Guest imadawg22

It's all done except the white finish line..I think I'll check out Lowes sometime. Once it's done I will post pics. I considered the white gravel but the fish or even doing water changes would move it all over.

Just an idea, if you have all black gravel, maybe larger white rocks from the pet store checkered with black ones for a finish line on the bottom?

I like your idea, looking forward to pictures

Edit: I didnt see your above post

Edit again: There is this paint...I forget the name, but it is almost like rubber when it dries and comes off super easy. You could paint it on the outside of the aquarium

Just an idea, if you have all black gravel, maybe larger white rocks from the pet store checkered with black ones for a finish line on the bottom?

I like your idea, looking forward to pictures

Edit: I didnt see your above post

Edit again: There is this paint...I forget the name, but it is almost like rubber when it dries and comes off super easy. You could paint it on the outside of the aquarium. Now that i think about it we could be talking about the same thing. Hmmm

Edited by MexiMike83