Sign in to follow this  
Peterlock

Hikari VS Aqeon Golfish Food

He would be called iOrange in that case :rofl

I'm no scientist but I tried a little experiment yesterday.

In the morning I fed the fish in one tank Omega One and they ate like they always do - like pigs. But they slow down after a while and nudge the glass pebbles around searching for one last teeny tiny granule.

I made it a point to watch their behavior closely.

In the early evening, I opened one of the bags of the Hikari - I never got around to returning and fed them.

After what I would consider their normal reaction to food, it was like a feeding frenzy, they went absolutely crazy as if they haven't been fed for days.

My conclusion is it's the MSG - the food is mostly filler so it has to be.

I think many people see this reaction in their fish and assume the food must be amazing because the fish love it so much. The ingredient list however, tells a different story.

Your first sentence makes the most sense to me. I'll bet the nutritionists at one of the oldest widely exported Japanese specialty koi and goldfish food companies know a bit more than us and it seems your goldfish do too.

What is filler in Hikari? I believe what you are referring to as filler is actually an important part of the freshwater fish's diet provided essential n6 fatty acids to provide an ideal ratio between the marine derived n3 fatty acids.

I would bet money the fish oil will attract more fish than the msg. I can show you fish that have been raised exclusively on hikari, live bbs and frozen food and their parents were conditioned on the same...

Edited by Ichthius

Your first sentence makes the most sense to me. I'll bet the nutritionists at one of the oldest widely exported Japanese specialty koi and goldfish food companies know a bit more than us and it seems your goldfish do too.What is filler in Hikari? I believe what you are referring to as filler is actually an important part of the freshwater fish's diet provided essential n6 fatty acids to provide an ideal ratio between the marine derived n3 fatty acids.I would bet money the fish oil will attract more fish than the msg. I can show you fish that have been raised exclusively on hikari, live bbs and frozen food and their parents were conditioned on the same...

Drop the pompous attitude.

If Hiraki - like most corporations have nutritionists on the pay roll, like all companies who employ experts they do so to ensure self serving, biased research documentation and misleading advertising claims and materials.

It's easy to find independent analysis and research reports on dog and cat foods, but nearly impossible for fish food.

As you still seem confused as to what defines "filler" you can check the ingredient list in my original post and then hit Google and do a little research.

No Pomp but you've got the attitude. I'll leave your to your own little world and keep telling yourself that msg is the problem.

I am going to email Hikari, and ask them about the MSG as part of the ingredient. I do not think I will have any better luck than the OP in getting a response, but it is a good question, I think.

Why would you add a relatively cheap flavor enhancer to your food, especially if it's already supposed to be packed with flavorful main ingredients? If they are not adding MSG as a flavor enhancer, what is the role of MSG in the food? I know Hikari have researched and refined their foods for decades now, so I think it would be good to know why they purposefully add MSG to their line.

Why would you add a relatively cheap flavor enhancer to your food, especially if it's already supposed to be packed with flavorful main ingredients? If they are not adding MSG as a flavor enhancer, what is the role of MSG in the food? I know Hikari have researched and refined their foods for decades now, so I think it would be good to know why they purposefully add MSG to their line.

:bingo:

MSG is placed in any food as a Enhancer. If your food tastes good, then you dont need MSG....

Isnt msg cheaper than table salt? I could be wrong, but it could be a cost thing more than a fish thing.

Isnt msg cheaper than table salt? I could be wrong, but it could be a cost thing more than a fish thing.

It may be. That's the point, Mike. Why do you add a cheap flavor enhancer to a premium food with supposed premium ingredients?

To increase profit margins and to keep cost down for consumers. Your average joe probably doesnt care as much as we do, and the company probably wants to be appealing to them too.

Edit: on my nook. So punctuation is a bit of a pain, my apologies.

Edited by MexiMike83

Ok. I think that's my cue to bow out of the discussion, as well. All that needs to be said has been said several times over. :)

Ok. I think that's my cue to bow out of the discussion, as well. All that needs to be said has been said several times over. :)

yeah I feel like this now :wall:hmm:ignore

Hi all, I actually found a aquarium place that sells omega one fish pellets. Yay!! Its a rare find in Australia

So I'm hoping i could get a non controversial answer to my question. I am not overly concerned with MSG nor colour change/enhancement. What I am mainly concerned about is maximum and fastest growth rate. So short question, which is better for max growth rate hikari lion head or omega one sinking goldfish pellets?

looking at the nutritional content of Hikari - Protein 46%, fat 6%, fiber 5%, moisture 10%, ash 15%, phosphorus 1.2 %

Omega one - Protein 33%, fat 8%, fiber 2%, moisture 8.5%, ash 8%, phosphorus 0.5%, omega 3 1%, omega 6 0.5%

Taking into consideration the amount of the filler (Ash %) and the identification of the fish component, looks like Omega one is the winner. However does more protein = faster growth rate? cause if it does then the better food for me would be Hikari?? Please correct me if I am wrong

thx for any replies

Edited by sod

Sod, how are your goldfish doing on the Hikari pellets? Any floatiness or other problems? If not, continue feeding those. :)

Hi Alex.

No problems with floatyness that I know off. But im happy to change if omega one is better. I think omega one is cheaper and also available in smaller packaging. Which is also a positive in regards to feeding "old" food