40 Gallon Breeder Size or 40 gallon standard

I'm debating whether to go with 40 gallon breeder tank (36x18x16) vs 40 Gallon (36x15x16) for Ranchus? How many Ranchus can live happier in 40 gallon?

im sure you could fit 3 ranchus in there WITH GOOD filtration! and constant WC's!! stay on top of PRESTINE water conditions.. and you will be fine! but of course... someone will prob. bring up stocking issues.. :krazy: LOL! you should be fine...

Edited by Monkey87

im sure you could fit 3 ranchus in there WITH GOOD filtration! and constant WC's!! stay on top of PRESTINE water conditions.. and you will be fine! but of course... someone will prob. bring up stocking issues.. :krazy: LOL! you should be fine...

3 ranchus in a 40 is perfectly fine. I don't know that constant WCs are necessary, but at least once a week 80-90% is. :)

i say constant because not everyone likes doing ONE big water change and i say constant as in more.. just split it to 2 wc's 40% every 3 days! :D:nana.. bottom line 3 is FINE! :D u heard the man!

Edited by Monkey87

i say constant because not everyone likes doing ONE big water change and i say constant as in more.. just split it to 2 wc's 40% every 3 days! :D:nana.. bottom line 3 is FINE! :D u heard the man!

Please pardon my somewhat hijacking this thread to address this quickly - but 2 40% WCs spread out over a week does not equal one 80% WC. It's more like a 50-55% WC when you do that. That's the reason why most of us go with large volume changes. The little WCs are nice for us, but not so helpful for goldfish tanks, unfortunately.

i understand... but yet again... you cannot tell anyone what will and will not work... they will have to learn for themselves... 2 diff. people with same breed of fish can change water once every 2 weeks and their fish are PERFECT..someone else with the same breed of fish can change water every 3 days like me and that works for them... .. i remember someone told me with goldfish in a 46g i would need something like 90% water changes to keep water params in prestine condition... yet i do 2 45% wc's every 3 days and my water is always PERFECT.. fish are healthy and my water params never go higher than 0nitrites, 0ammo and MAYBE 10 nitrates. bascically everyone does what works for them. and you will see.. by constant water checks you will know when its time to do wc's :)

regardless.. GOOD LUCK with your fishes.. and you will LEARN what to do hopefully in time.. and if you have any questions.. ppl like DNALEX and stakos are always around to give you a heads up. :carrot::krazy:

i understand... but yet again... you cannot tell anyone what will and will not work... they will have to learn for themselves... 2 diff. people with same breed of fish can change water once every 2 weeks and their fish are PERFECT..someone else with the same breed of fish can change water every 3 days like me and that works for them... .. i remember someone told me with goldfish in a 46g i would need something like 90% water changes to keep water params in prestine condition... yet i do 2 45% wc's every 3 days and my water is always PERFECT.. fish are healthy and my water params never go higher than 0nitrites, 0ammo and MAYBE 10 nitrates. bascically everyone does what works for them. and you will see.. by constant water checks you will know when its time to do wc's :)

My response to you is this: I bet your fish are on the smaller side at the moment. Wait till they get bigger. With my fish, I HAVE to do a WC every 4-5 days or nitrates will climb up. This is because my fish are all now huge adults, and getting bigger everyday.

Sometimes the suggestions we make are with the idea of full-sized fish in mind, to help you get into that routine. :)

Edited by dnalex

Thanks, yes the 40 gallon breeder size from my LFS is 36x18x16. I plan to do only few Ranchus, so three is fine for me. Will be using Fluval C4 HOB on it with enough biomedia to handle fish loads.

My second choice was to do 40 Gallon Seaclear acrylic tank, but its 36x15x16. Its 3 inch smaller in width.

Do you think the 3 inch is huge difference for swimming room and surface/air exposure?

I use to work for a tank wholesaler and we had 40b and also 40 reg that are the dimensions he is talking about they are not a true 40 but that is what they were labeled as. For me this question is a nobrainer go with the 40B the added depth is nice. Also stands for a 15" wide tank are not as available as 18" wide stands. They may have a stand for the 15" tank but what is to say you dont want to change the look down the road say for instance you move and the old stand looks cruddy in your new home.

I use to work for a tank wholesaler and we had 40b and also 40 reg that are the dimensions he is talking about they are not a true 40 but that is what they were labeled as. For me this question is a nobrainer go with the 40B the added depth is nice. Also stands for a 15" wide tank are not as available as 18" wide stands. They may have a stand for the 15" tank but what is to say you dont want to change the look down the road say for instance you move and the old stand looks cruddy in your new home.

40B it is then!!! Been keeping two 4.5 inch Svr-Ranchus in white tote storage bin, can't wait to put in fish tank so I can view them.

40B it is then!!! Been keeping two 4.5 inch Svr-Ranchus in white tote storage bin, can't wait to put in fish tank so I can view them.

Can't wait to see pics!

I love my 40 gallon breeder :) There weren't many stand choices certainly but I was able to easily find a basic black metal stand at my local petco that looks great and is very sturdy for about 60 dollars :) Can't wait to see pics!

My 2 favorite sized tanks are 75's and 40B. They are the most functional common sized tanks IMO. I would take a 75 over a 90 in most cases, especially since i am kinda short. Reaching the bottom of a tall tank is hard for me.

I've never understood the difference between a breeder and a long properly until now! my tank is approx 40 x 16 x 16 (in cm, 100 x 40 x 40)... that doesn't seem to fall under either category lol.

I've never understood the difference between a breeder and a long properly until now! my tank is approx 40 x 16 x 16 (in cm, 100 x 40 x 40)... that doesn't seem to fall under either category lol.

Your tank is a custom rimless not fair :no: