Why do my plants die?

pandamanda111

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I wish I could use both! I want a new light fixture So bad :(

I would save up for one, but I never have any money when I do that, and then it sucks when I go to the mall with my friends, who aren't impressed when I say I spent all my money on my goldfish :P . Maybe mom will let me get some cash from the bank..,.hmmm ;)

Edited by pandamanda111

You can aim a desk lamp at your tank for a little extra light. That's what I do with my betta tank. Lately, I've been leaving the desk lamp aimed at the front all day to get my crypts on the far side of the tank to grow.

honestly I don't think it is an issue of lighting personally (I could be wrong though), I just remembered you having a blue light and I was going to suggest to try switching that bulb to a full spectrum bulb if that was the case. More light certainly couldn't hurt, but I wouldn't spend all your money trying to do it.

My anubias did just fine for 6(?) months under stock lighting, 17 watts on a 29 gallon. Even being without fish in the tank for 3 months they were fine. But of course every system is different... I don't know :(

Edited by tithra

honestly I don't think it is an issue of lighting personally (I could be wrong though), I just remembered you having a blue light and I was going to suggest to try switching that bulb to a full spectrum bulb if that was the case. More light certainly couldn't hurt, but I wouldn't spend all your money trying to do it.

My anubias did just fine for 6(?) months under stock lighting, 17 watts on a 29 gallon. Even being without fish in the tank for 3 months they were fine. But of course every system is different... I don't know :(

But they're planted the right way I think :( I have no clue why they keep dying! I wish someone could just come over and fix it for me :P

What do you think about adding fertilizer?

Edited by pandamanda111

But they're planted the right way I think :( I have no clue why they keep dying! I wish someone could just come over and fix it for me :P

What do you think about adding fertilizer?

I know. Everything does seem to be pointing to a nutrient deficiency :( Perhaps you could try some root tabs before you try liquid ferts? That way you don't have to remember to dose and I think they may be slightly cheaper. You just bury them in the gravel and are done with it.

Ok. I had read about people using RO water and having trouble with plants because the RO water lacked some of the trace elements that plant required. If you did decide to try ferts in your tank you could always start out at 1/2 or 1/4 dose. I use them in my tanks from time to time and the fish all seem fine. Good luck. :)

I just wonder about the root tabs for a couple reasons:

1. how well do these work for plants like java fern, anubias, mossballs etc, since these do not rely so much on their roots for nutrient absorption?

2. Considered this tank is only lightly planted, and gravel vacuuming is necessary, won't the broken up root tab be removed by vacuuming?

Wouldn't it be better to go with liquid fertilizers? I have Seachem Flourish (not Excel), it says 1 cap per 60 gallons up to twice weekly. I think doing a little less than half a cap full once weekly right after the water change should be plenty, since there are only a few plants. Or twice weekly, if you do bi-weekly water changes.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Yeah, I don't think root tabs would work. I would try the regular Flourish and dose one-half a cap twice a week, after your water changes. Also, if your plants have algae, clean them with your fingers as best you can.

i told you you would have to listen to me :P... i knew you would end up adding as you say "chemicals" to your tank.. there is really no way around it at ths point.. your plantsare defficient and clearly not recieving enough nutrients and POSSIBLY co2! :) GOOD LUCK! :carrot::krazy::carrot::locked::carrot::krazy::carrot:

Haha ;)

Thanks guys! I'm still not sure if I'll try flourish or if I'll just stick with miss balls and fake plants ;)

I have a 25 gallon tank, so it's kind of a random number, and I'm worried I'd add too much flourish :(

Thanks though! :)

ill tell u right of the top of my head... its really quite easy.. and better to underdose anyways... BUT you will be adding APPROX. 2 - 3ml of FLOURISH.. does not HAVE to be PRECISE and will not cause ANY harm by missing the 1ML over/ under mark.. GOOD LUCK. :carrot: :carrot: :locked: :locked: :clapping: :clapping: