Why do my plants die?

pandamanda111

Sorry to jump in late here, but I find it really bizzare everyone is suggesting improved lighting for Java Fern and Anubias. I have used stock lighting and indeed no lighting and not had these plants die off, they will grow much slower below 1w but id seriously doubt thats whats causing them to die off. I would agree the lighting is insufficient for stem plants though. Also does the tank ever get any natural light at all?

To me it looks much more like a deficiency or planting problem than a lighting one, especially because I can see a healthy marimo ball in the background which requires no less light than anubias or JF.

The fish should provide enough nitrogen for these kinds of plants also, but they wont really provide enough trace elements and a lack of these (i think iron in particular) is well known for browning Anubias leaves.

I would suggest buying some trace elements (a good lfs will carry these and know what youre asking for) but also making the following changes too:

Try getting some slightly bigger river rocks and carefully tying the rhizomes to them with fishing line. Anubias and Java both get nutrients from the water column and being higher usually means being in better water circulation.

This would also bring them closer to the light source anyway.

I just find they generally do better if theyre not on the tank floor.

I know many people succeed using rubber bands to secure them but personally I dislike how much of the rhizome they cover and how that simulates being burried which is a huge killer for them. Fishing line wont smother light from the rhizome at all.

You should also get them out and check the rhizome (which is the thick fleshy part the roots and leaves grow from), if it is starting to turn soft or mushy then you will have to cut the unhealthy part away because it wont recover and if you leave it itll spread to the whole plant. basically you keep cutting til you find healthy growth (ie the cross section is all white).

Dont worry so much about the leaves, just pull off any dead/dying ones. As long as the actual rhizome is healthy the plant can regenerate.

There are other params like temp and ph that can impact on things, but im sure your goldfish would show distress before your plants if these were any problem lol.

Anyway thats just my two cents ;)

THANK YOU!!! as i said.. it can be done with your stock lighting.. and it is a defficiency in nutrients and possibly co2... I SALUTE YOU LUCERNE! LOL...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with Lucerne I add no special plant foods, C02,or lighting in my tropical tank, and my plants are thriving :) it may be more difficult in a goldfish tank as they eat everything in site ;) but if you give your plants a good trim (remove any dead or dying leaves) then your plants should be able to use the nutrients available for them a little better,also the anubias and java plant root can not be buried is absolutely correct and I have used rubber bands on river stones loosely with great success,how long is your current light system on?

Thanks so much Lucerne and shellbell! :)

My lights are on 12 hours a day.

I hate to ask, but Lucerne, would you mind explaining that for me again? I don't understand your fancy plant words. ;) and what is that stuff you told me to add? Is it a chemical?

sorry!

Mandie, the fertilizers are vitamins for plants. Many, many people use them, including me. I was hesitant at first, but my plant were looking terrible, so I tried them, and the plants are doing much better.

Here's what the lfs recommended to me for a goldfish tank:

• Flourish, which is like a multivitamin and provides basic nutrients
  • Flourish Iron, which adds iron (duh! :) )
  • Flourish Excel, which is liquid CO2.

There are additional ferts that they don't recommend for a goldfish tank because the goldfish waste already creates plenty of certain nutrients. Right now, I'm dosing everything twice a week. That's working OK, but I'm still finding the right levels for my tank. I see no signs that adding nutrients is hurting my fish. :)

With my first tank, I used stock lighting for awhile, and my plants had dismal growth. They didn't die, but they sure didn't thrive. I would follow Lucerne's good advice and make sure your plants are properly planted/affixed to your rocks and try some Flourish and maybe Flourish Iron. :)

Thanks for the info, Shawn!

I will see if my LFS has flourish. I'll see what other people think of that one. I don't like the idea of adding chemicals to my tank. Is it possible for a fish to be allergic to something? If you added a little too much, would the fish be harmed? If you didn't add enough would the plants not get better? Does it raise your nitrates at all?

Edited by pandamanda111

It doesn't raise nitrates. In fact, I would suspect that if it makes your plants healthier, your healthier plants might then reduce nitrate.

I don't know about adding too much, but it's not hard to dose, so you won't add too much. Probably not enough wouldn't bring about good results.

I can't tell you about fish allergies. I haven't heard of those. :)

I have plants in a lot of my tanks. They grow well and are very lush. I have either ferns or anubias. Now.. I DO NOT add ferts or CO2. Goldfish produce way more than enough of those on their own. It's not a very good idea to add CO2 with fish such as goldfish who are such huge oxygen users. I also usually never have my lights on. I have open top tanks and they just get natural sunlight.

I only add fertilizers in my betta tank because he pollutes way less.

I'm not sure that goldfish produce lots of fertilizer in a tank with frequent water changes. Goldfish are not likely to putting iron or other trace minerals into the water. There is a full line of fertilizers, and not all are recommended for a goldfish tank. Regular Flourish and Flourish Iron will not hurt fish and could help plants, especially since these plants look like they have a vitamin or mineral deficiency. They look yellow.

I wouldn't add CO2 either, but the Flourish Excel is not exactly CO2.

Mandie, thousands upon thousands of people use fertilizers in their tank. If this stuff was causing mass fish deaths, we would know. Use them or not, but they are nothing to be afraid of.

You might try what Lucerne suggested first regarding tying the plants to rocks to get them out of the substrate. I cannot tell how they are planted, but perhaps they might be planted too deep? (if the rhizome is planted it can cause issues). Not sure that this is truly the root (haha) of your issue, but it might be worth trying.

I also notice that you have some brown algae in the tank? It's hard to tell how much is on the plant leaves, but I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) that if it builds up on the leaves it can block out some of the light and cause issues for the plant. My crypts pretty much fell apart when they started getting covered with BA (but this also coincided with me splitting them apart, so I cannot be sure which one was the cause of their demise).

I would definitely trim off any leaves that seem to be dead/dying in any case. :)

EDIT: I use lots of ferts in my betta tank and have never had an issue with cloudiness :)

Edited by tithra

Thanks for the info, tithra! :)

The rhizome is not planted, actually. I barely have a half inch of gravel. :)

I do have a bit of brown algae on my anubias. :( its really ugly, and totally grosses me out :P should I just wipe it off with my fingers?

Edit- strangely enough, the anubias with the brown algae is the one that isn't dying. My other anubias looks like evil caterpillars attacked it, and my java fern is slowly dying :(

Edited by pandamanda111

Thanks for the info, tithra! :)

The rhizome is not planted, actually. I barely have a half inch of gravel. :)

I do have a bit of brown algae on my anubias. :( its really ugly, and totally grosses me out :P should I just wipe it off with my fingers?

you could try and see if that makes a difference, I'm not sure that it will but it might be worth a try. I clean my BA right before I do my water change weekly, then suck up any that is floating around in the water (you can also take the plants out to do this). It should come right off with a little rub. BA is the bane of my existence lately :rofl

Lol me too. I have to clean it a lot. In the pictures of your tank I see no brown algae! You do a good job cleaning!

Here's the proof lol

photo-3.jpg

I do clean it a lot, but it comes right back.

Mandie, for my 55 gallon tank, the ferts are one capful twice a week. They don't make any noticeable difference, except that new growth is emerging from plants that are algae covered. I mainly decided that I had to try them because I had too much algae. I bought a big light, but too much light without enough ferts was making the algae grow faster than the plants. Now, my plants are gaining on the algae.

Edited by ShawneeRiver

Mandie, for my 55 gallon tank, the ferts are one capful twice a week. They don't make any noticeable difference, except that new growth is emerging from plants that are algae covered. I mainly decided that I had to try them because I had too much algae. I bought a big light, but too much light without enough ferts was making the algae grow faster than the plants. Now, my plants are gaining on the algae.

Wait...so with fertilizer you get more algae?

I recently re-set up my 36 gallon, and in that tank, I started using ferts right away. Even with lower light, I got great growth immediately. Some of my Asian vals are bending over at the top of the tank because they've grown so tall. In my other tank, with (bright) lights alone, I have gotten little growth from my vals.

I tried the ferts because I had an existing algae problem. Now I'm getting less algae.

And if I get ferts, can I go back to my old bright bulb? Mine isn't very bright :(

I tried the ferts because I had an existing algae problem. Now I'm getting less algae.

Ohhh ok :)