Why do my plants die?

pandamanda111

I'm not saying CO2 would hurt, it would probably be great and make the plants grow really fast, but only with sufficient lighting. And my planted tank has never had any CO2 and it's flourishing. BUT I have plants similar to Mandie's which are not high needs plants.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All aquarium plants need light, carbon dioxide and nutrients to live. If you have an aquarium with normal incandescent lighting or subdued fluorescent lights, stick to plants that have low light requirements, such as Java Fern. If you do not want to use carbon dioxide boosters, stick to plant species that will be satisfied with the amount of carbon dioxide that is produced by your fish. If you do not want to use fertilization, choose plant species that will absorb sufficient amounts of nutrients from the water. research is key... and regardless of what others will tell you... it can be done with your lighting... in the mean time until you can afford or buy a stronger set of lights.. you need to keep your plants alive..

you cannot just go get a different bulb.. the chances are your bulb is the best you can do given your light fixture... the only next step is UPGRADING.. 2 a double light fixture.. :S usually in the 6700k spectrum for plants. but i have seen it done with 18000k :S

im sure your T5 light fixture is a single T5no light fixture.. and you cant really do much more than that.. either you get a second light bulb fixture.. or upgrade... thats really all you can do.

you cannot just go get a different bulb.. the chances are your bulb is the best you can do given your light fixture...

this is true.

Mandie, as was said before, I think the first investment I would make for the tank is the T5HO lights. Those lights will be much better than what you have now, and will provide a good foundation for growing the plants. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as fitting a T5 bulb into your existing fixture. You have to get a brand new set up. Look for something that delivers at least 30 watts of light, or 1 watt/gallon.

thats fine.. it is probably a 18000k bulb which is OK for plants but in my PERSONAL tank was not the best choice... my plants did better with the 6700k spectrum bulbs.. will u upgrade ? or just stick with what you have for now?

ok.. well there is SOOOO much to learn about planted aquariums... and many may not know... but what i know is that UPGRADING or adding more light you WILL have to add some sort of co2 as plants need for photosynthesis if there is not enough...when more light is added more nutrients including CO2 are needed. so basically... you will most likely need to add some things into your tank.. :D LOL!! regardless.. do research and learn a few things! :D take care! im off to bed now.. its 2:00am here in toronto! :D SLEEEEEEEEEEEPY ! :D

last thing... you can probably get a glass cutting shop.. or window maker to make you a glass top for around 30$??? sounds about what i paid for my custom top.. anyways... tomorrow i will take pictures of my set up.. it doesnt have to be SOOOO $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and you can work with what you have... pick up a used light fixture... throw a new bulb on it... double your output.. and get a in expensive glass top! :D good night! :D

Edited by Monkey87

So I can get all that for $7.23 and a few Forever 21 gift cards...right? :rofl

Cuz that's all I have left. :rofl

Well, the only solution to this problem is to march into a Forever 21 and demand them to show you their fish supply aisles :P

So I can get all that for $7.23 and a few Forever 21 gift cards...right? :rofl

Cuz that's all I have left. :rofl

Well, the only solution to this problem is to march into a Forever 21 and demand them to show you their fish supply aisles :P

They'll love that. :rofl

Sorry to jump in late here, but I find it really bizzare everyone is suggesting improved lighting for Java Fern and Anubias. I have used stock lighting and indeed no lighting and not had these plants die off, they will grow much slower below 1w but id seriously doubt thats whats causing them to die off. I would agree the lighting is insufficient for stem plants though. Also does the tank ever get any natural light at all?

To me it looks much more like a deficiency or planting problem than a lighting one, especially because I can see a healthy marimo ball in the background which requires no less light than anubias or JF.

The fish should provide enough nitrogen for these kinds of plants also, but they wont really provide enough trace elements and a lack of these (i think iron in particular) is well known for browning Anubias leaves.

I would suggest buying some trace elements (a good lfs will carry these and know what youre asking for) but also making the following changes too:

Try getting some slightly bigger river rocks and carefully tying the rhizomes to them with fishing line. Anubias and Java both get nutrients from the water column and being higher usually means being in better water circulation.

This would also bring them closer to the light source anyway.

I just find they generally do better if theyre not on the tank floor.

I know many people succeed using rubber bands to secure them but personally I dislike how much of the rhizome they cover and how that simulates being burried which is a huge killer for them. Fishing line wont smother light from the rhizome at all.

You should also get them out and check the rhizome (which is the thick fleshy part the roots and leaves grow from), if it is starting to turn soft or mushy then you will have to cut the unhealthy part away because it wont recover and if you leave it itll spread to the whole plant. basically you keep cutting til you find healthy growth (ie the cross section is all white).

Dont worry so much about the leaves, just pull off any dead/dying ones. As long as the actual rhizome is healthy the plant can regenerate.

There are other params like temp and ph that can impact on things, but im sure your goldfish would show distress before your plants if these were any problem lol.

Anyway thats just my two cents ;)

Edited by Lucerne