how often should i clean?

xchairity_casex

i was just curious how often i should clean my bettas tank? i have done tests on teh water quality after a month and the water was still good so how often should i do tank cleanings? ive been doing them every month

its a 10 gallon tank

just 1 betta no snails,no shrimp nothing else

a good amount of plants (a HUGE water sprite plant,lots of duckweed,a decent sized anubis and something else dont recall the name of it!)

a bubble wand

and a whisper 30 which filters 150GPH i belive(i could be wrong)

so how often SHOULD i be cleaning the tank?

oh also i only feed once per day

I keep my betta tank on the same cleaning schedule as my goldie tank personally :) Even though water parameters are good after 5-7 days, I like to still change the water given that it is a closed system and who knows what is building up that we don't test for ;)

Edited by tithra

I agree with tithra :) I also clean mine on a weekly schedule but because I have to maintain two tropical tanks as well as my oranda tank, I do my betta tank and tropical tanks every 7 days, and my oranda tank every 4 days. You can base your water changes around your nitrate readings (preferably no more than 10ppm) but as said, there are other things that thrive in the gravel and water that also need to be controlled with water changes such as decaying plant matter and bad bacteria :)

I bet that betta is in heaven! what a nicely sized tank!

ok i wasnt sure i used to do it every week along with my goldies tank when i first started it and had guppies but then the guppies died and it was empty then the goldies died and i didnt do any tank cleanings then i got more goldies an still had the empty 10 gallon besides the plants then got the bettaso yeah i got off schedual

I fourth the weekly change suggestions! it gives me a bit of a break because I didn't let it coincide with my goldie tank changes (twice a week). I do my betta tank on Mondays (although I did it today because I have to write an essay tomorrow :( ) and goldies are Tuesdays/Wednesdays and Fridays/Saturdays.

Ok I NEVER clean. I do water changes weekly. I might clean off some green stuff or move plants around but I never clean the tank. I also rinse the filter once a month or so in fish water. I just want to make sure you are not breaking down the tank and washing it like my Dad did many years ago instead of water change.

oh if she meant clean clean, like scrub it down etc, I don't either haha. I mean I've done a minor algae scrape this time round because I don't even know where half the shrimp are, so I'm going to be getting more as a clean up crew. there's only so much one little nerite can do within a week. :(

yes im trying to grow me an algea wall so far so good its just starting to thick on the side wall so no scrubbing that away! i do wipe my anubis leaves off somewhat often cause betta fish always gets his food dropped on the leaves and then ignores it there so i wipe them down every few days